Thread: Texas Prisons End Special Last Meals for Inmates After 'Ridiculous' Request

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 34
  1. #21  
    Zoomie djones520's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    10,050
    Quote Originally Posted by DumbAss Tanker View Post
    It's a last gesture of humanity in the face of death. Compared to the cost of keeping a condemned prisoner sitting around for years and litigating all his appeals, the cost of the meal is trivial. This ban is too much like the ChiCom practice of billing the next-of-kin for the cost of the bullet, inhuman Socialist bureaucracy carried to an extreme.
    I think that's the best light to put the idea in.

    I'm not shedding any tears about them losing it though.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

    In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #22  
    LTC Member Odysseus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    FT Belvoir, VA
    Posts
    15,639
    Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    I think that's the best light to put the idea in.

    I'm not shedding any tears about them losing it though.
    Personally, I have no problem with the last meal, but I'd have made him eat it. All of it.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

    Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #23  
    Our widdle friend. Wei Wu Wei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    6,414
    Quote Originally Posted by lacarnut View Post
    Last meal is ridiculous. What right does the inmate have. If he tried that shit in a commie country, they would strap him down, knock all his teeth out and force feed him. Might not even need a bullet to the head.
    In almost every advanced country in the world there is no death penalty. We are on par with Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Iran, and China when it comes to "criminal justice"
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Smith - Wealth of Nations
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #24  
    PORCUS MAXIMUS Rockntractor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    oklahoma
    Posts
    41,131
    Quote Originally Posted by Wei Wu Wei View Post
    In almost every advanced country in the world there is no death penalty. We are on par with Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Iran, and China when it comes to "criminal justice"
    How odd, you libtards usually like everything the Mooseslums and Chicoms do.
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #25  
    Our widdle friend. Wei Wu Wei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    6,414
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    How odd, you libtards usually like everything the Mooseslums and Chicoms do.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lITBGjNEp08
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Smith - Wealth of Nations
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #26  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    950
    Mexico doesn't have a death penalty. They are so kindly, they don't even have life! No one can serve more than 40 years, and we KNOW what a civilized place mexico is.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #27  
    Fabulous Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,161
    Quote Originally Posted by Tipsycatlover View Post
    Mexico doesn't have a death penalty. They are so kindly, they don't even have life! No one can serve more than 40 years, and we KNOW what a civilized place mexico is.
    There is a body of thought in corrections that eliminating death penalty and life sentences serves the process and management of corrections.

    I think it's pretty much a given the that DP will disappear in the US. As more and more places stop doing it, extraditions become more difficult. We end up taking the DP off the table for a foreign national in exchange for his return to the US to stand trial.

    At some point, probably already, the DP will cross the line and become "unusual" so "cruel" can't be far behind.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #28  
    LTC Member Odysseus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    FT Belvoir, VA
    Posts
    15,639
    Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    There is a body of thought in corrections that eliminating death penalty and life sentences serves the process and management of corrections.

    I think it's pretty much a given the that DP will disappear in the US. As more and more places stop doing it, extraditions become more difficult. We end up taking the DP off the table for a foreign national in exchange for his return to the US to stand trial.

    At some point, probably already, the DP will cross the line and become "unusual" so "cruel" can't be far behind.
    The death penalty offends the sensibilities of American and European elites who are as far removed from crime as it is possible to be. I suspect that even in those so-called "advenced" countries, people who do suffer from the depredations of criminals and who do not romanticize them as revolutionary outlaws (Wei, for example), tend to favor the death penalty.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

    Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #29  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    8,165
    Quote Originally Posted by newshutr View Post
    Did the condemned give their victims a last meal...?

    Did they drive them to Burger King or Wendy's before putting a cap in their ass..?

    Nope. (Channeling my Chuck Testa..)

    Same prison meal like everyone else..
    The final meal isn't really about the prisoner. It's about those carrying out the execution and about exorcising some of the guilt that they will inevitably feel about killing another human being.

    The criminal may have raped and killed toddlers and the execution may be entirely justified by state law, but decent humans can't help feeling a sense of atavistic fear about killing a person. Even those who are totally in favor of the death penalty for violent, horrific crimes, can be deeply affected, get nightmares, feel a residual sense of guilt.

    A last meal and a clean needle are rituals that surround a gruesome task. These rituals allow both the executioner and society as a whole (in whose name the needle is stuck into the vein) to separate this kind of killing from that done by the criminal himself.

    Taking away the last meal shows a hardening of the moral arteries which may lead to more discomfort with the process. My guess is that, after an execution without it, the last meal or a replacement for it will return.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #30  
    Senior Member newshutr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    639
    Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    The final meal isn't really about the prisoner. It's about those carrying out the execution and about exorcising some of the guilt that they will inevitably feel about killing another human being.

    The criminal may have raped and killed toddlers and the execution may be entirely justified by state law, but decent humans can't help feeling a sense of atavistic fear about killing a person. Even those who are totally in favor of the death penalty for violent, horrific crimes, can be deeply affected, get nightmares, feel a residual sense of guilt.

    A last meal and a clean needle are rituals that surround a gruesome task. These rituals allow both the executioner and society as a whole (in whose name the needle is stuck into the vein) to separate this kind of killing from that done by the criminal himself.

    Taking away the last meal shows a hardening of the moral arteries which may lead to more discomfort with the process. My guess is that, after an execution without it, the last meal or a replacement for it will return.
    Meh...bread and water..nothing more.
    Yes..this camera is heavy.
    No...you can't be on TV.
    Look kid, go bother the reporter...I'm busy!!!
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •