Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Limp Wristed Liberals That Hate The Military 
    Most annoying people on the face of the earth, I swear to god and they make up so much of the population where I live. Told an acquaintance the other day that I was considering a military career and he went on and on about how it is "evil", "imperialistic", "a waste of money", "does nothing good in the world", etc, etc... How do you reach these people on a logical basis?

Quote Originally Posted by Powerlifter181 View Post
    How do you reach these people on a logical basis?
    You don't, their minds function without the use of logic.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Fabulous Poster
    ... How do you reach these people on a logical basis?
    If he actually said all that, then the appropriate response would be laughter. Anyone who uses the word "imperialistic" is to be mocked.

Most annoying people on the face of the earth, I swear to god and they make up so much of the population where I live. Told an acquaintance the other day that I was considering a military career and he went on and on about how it is "evil", "imperialistic", "a waste of money", "does nothing good in the world", etc, etc... How do you reach these people on a logical basis?
    My guess... using the welcome part to introduce yourself.....

Sorry gun-shy;)
    Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.
    Ronald Reagan

We could say they are spending like drunken sailors. That would be unfair to drunken sailors, they're spending their OWN money.
    Ronald Reagan

R.I.P. Crockspot

It's an archaic view of the military which is becoming sensitive compassionate social workers whose mission it is to win hearts and minds spreading cheer. As time goes on, that impression that the military is there to break things will change.

Serving in the military is an honorable career choice, or a good job choice if that is what you want to do for a few years. It provides good training, experiences you can't get anywhere else (even in peacetime), and you can continue your higher education while you are actively serving.

I am a liberal who has had many family members who have served in the military, albeit none in my generation. My dad served in the Army, on the Korean border just after the war officially ended. They dealt with snipers and did a lot of nation building in South Korea.

My great uncle was a Sea Bee in WWII, just like the guys in "South Pacific". He became a cop after the war. At his funeral a few years back, he got the full military honors, which was impressive.

I had another great uncle who served in the Navy in WWII.

A lot of younger liberals didn't have family members who served in the military. The WWII generation is dying off, the negativity so many have comes from the 60s and the Vietnam War.

A good response might be, "You can say that because you live under the American flag, which explains why you can say that because you don't live under the Jap or Nazi or Soviet flags!"

http://members.socket.net/~mcruzan/images/allen-west.jpg

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

THIS POST WILL BE MONITORED BY THE NSA

You could always say "Now you know why liberalism is also called Hitler's Revenge".

You don't. If you get a chance, read Eric Hoffer's The True Believer: Thoughts on the Nature of Mass Movements. That will introduce you to the mindset in a clinical way. After that, you'll understand what you're dealing with, even if you can't actually enlighten it.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    If he actually said all that, then the appropriate response would be laughter. Anyone who uses the word "imperialistic" is to be mocked.
    Speaking of which, where is Wei?
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Eric Hoffer's The True Believer, Harper & Row, New York, 1951; is in my library.
    All mass movements generate in their adherents a readiness to die and a proclivity for united action; all of them, irrespective of the doctrine they preach and the program they project, breed fanaticism, enthusiasm, fervent hope, hatred and intolerence;...
    ...from the preface.

It's one of my "bibles".

http://members.socket.net/~mcruzan/images/allen-west.jpg

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

THIS POST WILL BE MONITORED BY THE NSA