1. #1 Nanny State Banns..... 
    Locked in a Dungeon, being tortured and LOVING IT!
    PORTLAND, Maine -- Sen. Susan Collins, who hails from Maine's potato country and picked potatoes as a girl, is working to restore some respect for the humble spud, which is on the verge of being virtually banished from the nation's school lunch programs.

New guidelines from the U.S. Department of Agriculture would eliminate potatoes altogether from school breakfasts and drastically reduce the amount of potatoes served in lunches.
    Rest In Peace America
    July 4, 1776 - January 20, 2009

Perhaps if the benefits of eating potatoes cooked any way except deep fried then the potato would get a better rep.

Can the potato tax be far behind?

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    Perhaps if the benefits of eating potatoes cooked any way except deep fried then the potato would get a better rep.

I'm sure that they also make the powdered mashed kind, too, in their school cafeterias. You know, the kind they serve with that awful greenish-yellow gravy.

Instant mashed potatoes, Lumber Jack brand preferred, with an equal volume of extra sharp New York cheddar cheese cubed, is delicious.....

Gravey not required........

http://members.socket.net/~mcruzan/images/allen-west.jpg

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

THIS POST WILL BE MONITORED BY THE NSA

Fabulous Poster
    "There's other ways to address childhood obesity. I don't know that limiting potatoes in the school lunch program is going to have the desired impact," Hobbs said.
    Virtually all agree that the problem is the french fry, a ubiquitous item on school menus in many parts of the country, sometimes getting served every day.

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/09/2...#ixzz1ZASLhaib

When I was in school, potatoes were pretty much soaked in grease regardless of how they were prepared. Baked potatoes were "brushed (dipped)" in oil before being put on the baking sheets, french "fries" were practically floating in oil in the ovens to mimic deep frying, hash browns could be (because I saw someone do this) wrung out like a sponge with grease dripping, and mashed potatoes were whipped with milk and butter/margarine/grease/whatever.

People who aren't going to go plow fields all day probably shouldn't eat a load of grease and starch for breakfast. When my best friend (who had never been overweight before) was in basic training, even with that physical demand, he gained weight (fat) on the diet the Navy was serving and was put on a weight reduction regime.

My great grandparents all ate country and lived to ripe old ages. My grandparents ate the same diet and died earlier. Part of that in undoubtedly due to pre-packaged cigarettes and other pollutants, but I think a lot of it had to do with eating like 19th century farmers while riding on a motorized tractor.

Hot dogs and apple pie are next.