1. #1 If your unhappiness with Obama is not due to race then I and others are not speaking 
    link

wndycty Donating Member (1000+ posts) Journal Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list Mon Sep-26-11 11:38 AM
    Original message
    If your unhappiness with Obama is not due to race then I and others are not speaking . . .

. . .about/to you when we cite that some of the progressive criticism of him is a form of subtle racism.

Look, we (Black folk) are shaped by our experiences and when we see what Melissa Harris Perry pointed out in her Nation column last week many of us (not all Black folk) are reminded that racism still exists and that it even exists in liberal/progressive circles.

Lets be honest, we are not going to agree on this. When Black folks feel something as racist we accept that many of our allies who are not Black will not see this. Furthermore when those same allies tell us what we see as racist is not racist we are not convinced.

The fact that someone is progressive/liberal does not immunize them from being racist and the fact that someone is conservative doesn't make them racist.

Criticism of President Obama is not racist. Criticism with racist undertones or criticism that holds him to a different standard than his predecessors often is racist.

So, when we call something out as racist, if you are confident in your actions don't worry about it we aren't talking about you, we must be talking about someone else.
    Pisces (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list Mon Sep-26-11 12:02 PM
    Response to Original message
    2. It is clear that there is some racism and double standard at play. THose how deny this are closing

their eyes and ears. Just because they aren't wearing white pointy hats and yelling the N word does not mean racism isn't under the thin veil of criticism, or undermining comments of " he just doesn't understand", " he doesn't get it". We get it loud and clear, what many on this board called "The experiment" , how is someone suppose to translate that figure of speech?

Racism is alive and thriving in the Dem party, and in the repuke party it is loud and proud.
    Yes it is alive and thriving in the Dem party...just look at all the "uncle tom", "house slave" and insisting all minorities have to think and vote alike (dem of course).

It's only "lound and clear" in the Rupublican party if they mean opposing Obama's policies means one is racist....which of course IS they way they define racism if one is a conservative.

JohnnyRingo Donating Member (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list Mon Sep-26-11 12:03 PM
    3. I was a bit shocked in 2008 when some of my friends changed

A couple of them were union democrats who suddenly sprouted "democrat for McCain" signs in their yard. At least one of them expressed fear for his party that Hillary would be the nominee as if he hadn't even considered that it could possibly be Obama. He quickly saw value in McCain/Palin when the field narrowed to one.

I angrily confronted one friend, asking how he could go with me to a Kerry/Edwards rally and turn around to join the T-Party four short years later. I got no satisfactory answer. These friends aren't Klansmen, they don't sit around making racist comments or jokes. The racism runs through a deep artery of their very being that isn't outwardly visible. They don't openly express hatred for minorities and treat blacks and others with as much public respect as anyone could expect.

Maybe I'm being judgmental myself, but 2008 caused me to examine many of my longtime friendships anew.
    Translation: Anyone who does not vote Democrat is a RAAACCIST.

MADem (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list Mon Sep-26-11 12:07 PM
    4. Well, not to kick a hornets' nest, but I can't help but notice two things

with regard to race and gender.

1. People of color and/or women often have to work ten times as hard to get one-tenth of the credit. They also get one-tenth of the praise, and ten times the blame.

2. For sheer "watch 'em fail and see, see--I toldja so!" effect, individuals who have a vested interest in perpetuating racism/sexism (but who very earnestly pretend otherwise--like many people in the GOP) will quite ostentatiously assign an unqualified black or female person to a job, and then, when they screw up because they don't have the experience, savvy, or training to succeed, their minions (never the principal, though), carrying their water, will attempt to ascribe their failures to everyone of their race/gender. They'll then insist that they aren't racist/sexist, because they gave the person a chance, but the person was unable to do the job (of course, they made sure of that from the get-go).

I see this pattern repeated, over and over.
    Only in your racist, delusional mind dear MADem.

These Eyes (312 posts) Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list Mon Sep-26-11 12:15 PM
    6. I would like to add that if seeing something call out as racist...

Causes you to have a visceral reaction, then it may be time for some self-reflection. You feel what you feel for a reason.
    Ahhh yes, If you don't like being called racist then it means you ARE racist.
    Maraya1969 Donating Member (1000+ posts) Journal Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list Mon Sep-26-11 12:32 PM
    9. When I see/read people ragging on and on about Obama I always think

about these two black men who were accomplished in their careers but told me they had to work twice as hard as a white man to get where they were. I see that with Obama. It is as if he is held to a different standard. I know I have been pissed at him and some of the things he has done but to hear on this broad sentences like, "he is a complete loser" is way out of line and unrealistic. No one said that about Clinton's failures, and he had a lot of them.

I think racism is alive and well and hidden in the back recesses in many people's brains where they can't see it. Maybe even in the back of my brain. I don't know.
    Democrats must have been racist against white President Bush if that's all that's needed to declare someone racist.
    CakeGrrl Donating Member (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list Mon Sep-26-11 01:43 PM
    Response to Reply #19
    22. But do you not believe there are ANY self-identified left/Dem/Liberal/Progressive

who are capable of harboring racist attitudes or committing actions influenced by race?

An example that another poster personally observed was that of friends who had self-identfied as lifelong Dems/Liberals...until Barack Obama became the top of the 2008 ticket. Suddenly, they gave more consideration to crossing over to McCain/Palin.

A more public example is that of Lynn Forrester DeRothschild, a stalwart Hillary supporter until Obama won the primary. She then crossed over to supporting the GOP, and of late was putting money behind Jon Huntsman for 2012.

What possible reason could there be for such so-called lifelong liberals to suddenly switch parties, particularly when the candidates were so similar ideologically?

In that scenario, there's only one explanation that makes sense.

The only reason that crap flies over there is that they get rid of anyone who opposes Obama on substantive issues, like the health care debacle. A bunch of people were tombstoned over there when they tried to point out before the fact what a shitty deal that bill was for the average person, and even when they quoted from the bill itself. Most of what's left is people who believe that any objection to Oblahblah's policies is racial.

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Yep, DU's policy on the President is simple. "Support Obama or you're a racist."
    May the FORCE be with you!

Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    Yep, DU's policy on the President is simple. "Support Obama or you're a racist."
    What if you say you support Herman Cain? Are we just rooting for the "Uncle Tom" or "House Ni****"?
    Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ralph wiggum View Post
    What if you say you support Herman Cain? Are we just rooting for the "Uncle Tom" or "House Ni****"?

You got it!! Only Democrat blacks are pure. :D
    May the FORCE be with you!

wndycty Donating Member (1000+ posts) Journal Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list Mon Sep-26-11 11:38 AM
    Original message
    If your unhappiness with Obama is not due to race then I and others are not speaking . . .

. . .about/to you when we cite that some of the progressive criticism of him is a form of subtle racism.

Look, we (Black folk) are shaped by our experiences and when we see what Melissa Harris Perry pointed out in her Nation column last week many of us (not all Black folk) are reminded that racism still exists and that it even exists in liberal/progressive circles.

Lets be honest, we are not going to agree on this. When Black folks feel something as racist we accept that many of our allies who are not Black will not see this. Furthermore when those same allies tell us what we see as racist is not racist we are not convinced.

The fact that someone is progressive/liberal does not immunize them from being racist and the fact that someone is conservative doesn't make them racist.

Criticism of President Obama is not racist. Criticism with racist undertones or criticism that holds him to a different standard than his predecessors often is racist.

So, when we call something out as racist, if you are confident in your actions don't worry about it we aren't talking about you, we must be talking about someone else.
    All of those words and not one coherent thought. wndycty should change his/her name to BlackPitt. Or to be fair Pitt could change his name to Whitewndycty.

Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    You got it!! Only Democrat blacks are pure. :D
    Don't forget though, only Zero, is African-American....
    Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.
    Ronald Reagan

We could say they are spending like drunken sailors. That would be unfair to drunken sailors, they're spending their OWN money.
    Ronald Reagan

R.I.P. Crockspot