1. #1 Anonymous Goes After the Pepper Spray Cop's Personal Info 
    Yon_Yonson Donating Member (829 posts) Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list Mon Sep-26-11 08:26 PM
    Original message
    Anonymous Goes After the Pepper Spray Cop's Personal Info

Source: The Atlantic Wire

The police officer videoed spraying what appears to be pepper spray into the eyes of peaceful protesters in New York City on Saturday has found Internet fame as online activists target him in traditional hacker fashion: By releasing all his personal and professional data online in an attack known as a dox. The last few months have seen the online activism of Anonymous moving into the real world with direct actions like the Op-BART demonstrations in San Francisco and the ongoing Occupy Wall Street protest in New York. The spread of this video blurs the line between online and real-world activism once more as the wider digital population of Anonymous targets the officer for retaliation by going after his data, his identity, and his job in a classic bit of hactivism.

Read more: http://www.theatlanticwire.com/national/2011/09/anonymo... /

Pay Back Time
    http://www.democraticunderground.com...ss=102x5007092

Hmmmmmmm I do think I'm going to forward this thread to NYPD so that way in case something happens to this office they may be able to find a few *witnesses* Almost sounds like a threat. Lets see how long this thread hangs on till $kinner gets rid of it.
    Lets just paint some happy clouds over at the sunshine and lollipop land

TownDrunk2 (22 posts) Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list Mon Sep-26-11 08:49 PM
    Response to Original message
    4. Aye it warms me heart :)
    asthmaticeog (1000+ posts) Journal Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list Mon Sep-26-11 11:18 PM
    Response to Reply #29
    45. Someone already got hurt.

By the cop.

Fuck kid-gloves.
    boppers (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list Mon Sep-26-11 10:01 PM
    Response to Reply #5
    25. Physically attacking people while hiding behind badges should end badly.

Edited on Mon Sep-26-11 10:01 PM by boppers
    Releasing documentation on those performing such attacks is more of a public service.

I am reminded of the cops who feel "threatened" when they know they are being videotaped.
    tama (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list Tue Sep-27-11 04:19 AM
    Response to Reply #5
    102. You know

as well as the next guy that the judicial system has broken down long time ago, it's the criminals that run the cleptocracy. This is preventive non-violent action against organized violence and oppression, public self-defence by public shaming of violent criminals in uniform works as intended, Arizona cop was revealed as the racist thug he is and Bologna will not be on the street macing innocent people no more and the next white shirt will think twice before committing police brutality.
    backscatter712 Donating Member (1000+ posts) Journal Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list Mon Sep-26-11 09:15 PM
    Response to Original message
    8. PAYBACK'S A BITCH, OFFICER PEPPERSPRAY!!! n/t
    starroute Donating Member (1000+ posts) Journal Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list Tue Sep-27-11 01:48 AM
    Response to Reply #76
    96. If somebody goes and offs his family, he gets sympathy

But who do you think is going to do that? The scrupulously non-violent protesters? The computer geeks of Anonymous? Or the run-of-the-mill criminals who you seem to think have been just itching for the chance to get back at Bologna but were too stupid to look up his address and the names of his family members online for themselves?

Give me a frigging break.
    A few people think this is wrong, but the rationalization and justification just goes on and on in that thread.

On another note, it would be interesting to see the ENTIRE video of that event. My guess is that you would see "peaceful" protesters not obeying police orders and being destructive and/or threatening. The leftist activists are anything BUT peaceful.

"But who do you think is going to do that? The scrupulously non-violent protesters? The computer geeks of Anonymous? Or the run-of-the-mill criminals who you seem to think have been just itching for the chance to get back at Bologna but were too stupid to look up his address and the names of his family members online for themselves?"
    How about the deranged, meth- addled, bandana- masked, perpetually violent Anarchist scumbags who are a regular at liberal protests and have no problem getting violent at them, especially towards the cops?

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by aka:PBS View Post
    http://www.democraticunderground.com...ss=102x5007092

Hmmmmmmm I do think I'm going to forward this thread to NYPD so that way in case something happens to this office they may be able to find a few *witnesses* Almost sounds like a threat. Lets see how long this thread hangs on till $kinner gets rid of it.
    I think there is a law against publishing personal information on the web for the purpose of facilitating criminal retribution, but just from the nature of the language you can see that it doesn't seem like a law which would stand up to constitutional tests. Basically, if I can find your info on the web without doing anything illegal, then it's public information.

I know nothing about this case, but I do have a problem with the law enforcement or government agencies concealing the names of officers who have been involved in incident which call into question their legality, while publishing the names of those arrested. It has a certain secret-police stink to it. At the same time, the ability of criminals on the outside to get personal info on corrections officers which can be used to change the balance of power (and legal behavior) is something we really have to figure out how to deal with. On the one hand, possible criminals in uniform shouldn't have the protection of anonymity while publishing the names of those they arrest, on the other hand we can't allow the threat of retribution on good law enforcement personnel to extort a change in the pursuit of their duties and legal objectives.

IN a perfect world where we could trust the government, the names of all involved would be kept confidential to the courts until resolution. Unfortunately, this isn't a perfect world and the countries that do things that way aren't necessarily superior to our way of doing things.

Fabulous Poster
    PS- It's stunning that police officers go on shows like COPS and give their full name and location. A couple of times I have run these guys and found that they were easily found in the online court or property records, addresses and spouses names and all.

Quote Originally Posted by Carol View Post
    A few people think this is wrong, but the rationalization and justification just goes on and on in that thread.

On another note, it would be interesting to see the ENTIRE video of that event. My guess is that you would see "peaceful" protesters not obeying police orders and being destructive and/or threatening. The leftist activists are anything BUT peaceful.

In the 80s, I participated in some anti-apartheid protests, as WMU/First of America Bank were heavily invested in South Africa. Those were peaceful protests, mainly because of the number of church people involved. The leader of the K-zoo group was an Reformed Church of America (RCA-hardly a liberal denomination) pastor. We never occupied any buildings, blocked any vehicles or university workers from doing their jobs, and our protests were about raising public awareness to get the public to support political action.

We were successful, mostly because we were peaceful. The Governor (Jim Blanchard) issued an executive order that forbade any state institution from investing in South Africa, and eventually, Nelson Mandela was released from prison and the apartheid system was ended.