Thread: A Most Interesting Chart...

1. #1 A Most Interesting Chart... 
    I found a chart that displays every country on earth (I guess) and then shows both the revenue brought in and the expenditures. The U.S., of course, does not show well on such a chart. There are countries on the chart doing worse than America, but not very many of them. A great many countries - smaller than America - have some sort of restriction so that their expenditures never exceed revenue, but the fact is MOST countries spend more than they bring in...

Here's a sample

Country
    Budget
    Afghanistan revenues: $1 billion
    expenditures: $3.3 billion

Albania revenues: $3.126 billion
    expenditures: $3.483 billion (2010 est.)
    .................................................. .................

China revenues: $1.227 trillion
    expenditures: $1.35 trillion
    .................................................. .................

United States revenues: $2.162 trillion
    expenditures: $3.456 trillion
    https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat...elds/2056.html

Of some interest to me is the fact that the US economy is 4 times the size of China's, China has 4 times the population, and China's revenue is 60% of the US.
    Got more questions than I have answers, but it is interesting.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by TruckerMe View Post

Of some interest to me is the fact that the US economy is 4 times the size of China's, China has 4 times the population, and China's revenue is 60% of the US.
    Got more questions than I have answers, but it is interesting.
    If China's revenue is 60% of the US on a fourth of the economy, then it would appear that the tax rate (however achieved) in China is considerably higher than in the US.

If the US economy is four times that of China with one fourth of the people, it would seem that either our people are more productive, or are producing a higher end product.

In reality, I doubt we can make such conclusions on this simple information. It's rather like the claim of large American cities that they generate an overwhelming percentage of the tax revenue to the government while more conservative areas are in deficit to the government. The corn which passes through the port of Oakland was not grown in Oakland. The cars which pass through the port of Oakland were by and large not produced in Oakland. So such a claim is rather like the ticket agent claiming that his work generates the revenue for the airline. Yes, the money passes through the ticket agent, but the airplane, the transportation staff, and the baggage handlers do the real work which generates the money.

Comments in bold....
    Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    If China's revenue is 60% of the US on a fourth of the economy, then it would appear that the tax rate (however achieved) in China is considerably higher than in the US.There is really no other conclusion; at least none that occur to me...

If the US economy is four times that of China with one fourth of the people, it would seem that either our people are more productive, or are producing a higher end product. Oh, Americans are BY FAR the most productive population among countries that matter. Perhaps among ALL countries

In reality, I doubt we can make such conclusions on this simple information.........
    In fact, I believe we can make certain conclusions. China takes in 1.2 Trillion out of a 4 Trillion dollar economy; The U.S. takes in 2.1 trillion out of a 15 trillion dollar economy.

Somehow, one way or the other, China (the government) takes in 30% of GDP. The U.S. government takes in 15% of GDP.
    It looks to me like China is taxing the hoo-pooky! out of their people.

I should tell you that I am a China skeptic. I believe they will collapse and are over-rated. But there sure are a lot of interesting figures in that chart.....:)