Thread: Controversial Bake Sale Highlights Debate on Bill Allowing California Colleges to Con

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Controversial Bake Sale Highlights Debate on Bill Allowing California Colleges to Con 
    Despite allegations of being "purposefully offensive," a Republican student group in California held a controversial bake sale on Tuesday in opposition of pending legislation that would allow universities to consider race, gender and ethnicity in the admissions process.

California Senate Bill 185, which was passed by the state Legislature and now awaits Gov. Jerry Brown's signature, would authorize the University of California and the California State University to consider those and "other relevant factors" during the admissions process.

If signed into law, S.B. 185 would be in direct opposition to Proposition 209, also known as the California Civil Rights Initiative, a ballot proposition approved in 1996 that amended the state's constitution to prohibit public institutions from considering race, sex or ethnicity during the admissions process.

Though Proposition 209 bans awarding admissions decisions based on race and ethnicity alone, S.B. 185 would allow admissions officials to view ethnicity as part of the student's background as a whole, Jesse Choper, a UC Berkeley law professor told The Daily Californian.

The bill would only authorize UC and CSU to consider race, gender, ethnicity and other factors in admissions decisions, but will not mandate them to do so, the newspaper reported.
    http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011...est=latestnews

One part from the story really leaped out at me.

Meanwhile, University of California Student Association President Claudia Magana said having knowledge of an applicant's racial or ethnic background will allow university officials to make a "more informed" admission decision.
    Informed about what? Why should their skin color matter? What grounds could you possibly give that could make that matter? I am all for giving "monirities" the exact same oppurtunities as everyone says white people have. The best way to do that, is to completely make it so these admissions people have no idea what the race of the applicants is, and just make their decision based solely on things that matter. Grades and all that stuff. That is equality.

These fucking people...
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

This bake sale shouldn't be controversial at all! It is complying with the same rules the school sets for its own admission policies.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipsycatlover View Post
    This bake sale shouldn't be controversial at all! It is complying with the same rules the school sets for its own admission policies.
    ...and that's the well made point.
    http://allenbwest.com/
    http://members.socket.net/~mcruzan/images/allen-west.jpg
    Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

THIS POST WILL BE MONITORED BY THE NSA

So the Dems run around till their blue in the face saying how certain monorities need a break and extra advantages to compete with others...but start crying racist when their "theory" is actually applied?

All this bake sale is doing is putting a "face" on Affirmative Action.

Not our fault the Libtards don't like the reflection they see when the mirror is held up to them.
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011...est=latestnews

One part from the story really leaped out at me.

Informed about what? Why should their skin color matter? What grounds could you possibly give that could make that matter? I am all for giving "monirities" the exact same oppurtunities as everyone says white people have. The best way to do that, is to completely make it so these admissions people have no idea what the race of the applicants is, and just make their decision based solely on things that matter. Grades and all that stuff. That is equality.

These fucking people...
    I recall reading awhile ago, that the issue in some colleges isn't that there aren't enough minorities, it's that mongoloid Americans are presenting in sufficient numbers and with superior grades and AP classwork that they are edging out caucasoid and negroid applicants.

Some people think the race-neutral law backfired, so now they want to return to a more subjective admissions process. As I understand it, while the orientals have the grades, they have very little in the way of anything else once considered part of being "well rounded students." So white and black parents want sports, clubs, cheerleading, community and volunteer stuff to be considered as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    I recall reading awhile ago, that the issue in some colleges isn't that there aren't enough minorities, it's that mongoloid Americans are presenting in sufficient numbers and with superior grades and AP classwork that they are edging out caucasoid and negroid applicants.

Some people think the race-neutral law backfired, so now they want to return to a more subjective admissions process. As I understand it, while the orientals have the grades, they have very little in the way of anything else once considered part of being "well rounded students." So white and black parents want sports, clubs, cheerleading, community and volunteer stuff to be considered as well.
    So what if they are? If their the cream of the crop, then they get into the schools. Them poor white kids are just going to have to study harder, or attend a differant school.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    So what if they are? If their the cream of the crop, then they get into the schools. Them poor white kids are just going to have to study harder, or attend a differant school.
    Is there historical support for the idea that American (or any nation's) colleges have traditionally selected students solely on the basis of academic performance?

While many technical disciplines require super sharp math and science skills, how do we quantify creativity inventiveness, and ingenuity though proficiency in course material that is already established?

Was the doctor who invented the latest open heart procedure at the top of his class in math and chemistry? Or was he the guy whose mind saw the better technique and translated that to his hands?

I'm not saying that Oriental people aren't inventive or creative, merely that the selection process we might label "merit" or "the best" might not actually select all of the students we are looking for. There might be an intuition factor or a random factor that we can't yet identify. As such, allowing our colleges to be dominated by one race or group of subcultures might not be in the best interest of academia, science, progress, and industry.

I'm also aware that it's possible I only care about this because it seems whites are being sidelined, at least in California. However, this is not a completely objective process and if it was wrong for colleges to be all white at the top, then it's also wrong for them to be all nonwhite.

Of course, I doubt this will be an issue 50 or 100 years from now, because I am on record as predicting the reunification of the caucasoid and mongoloid races in North America. It would only make sense for the two to consolidate, forming a super-race of charming and good looking mad scientists. It's also a reasonable prediction if one sees racial and economic dynamics intersecting.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    ...........Of course, I doubt this will be an issue 50 or 100 years from now, because I am on record as predicting the reunification of the caucasoid and mongoloid races in North America. It would only make sense for the two to consolidate, forming a super-race of charming and good looking mad scientists. It's also a reasonable prediction if one sees racial and economic dynamics intersecting.
    Wish I could be here, but I'm gonna have to go....
    Imagine a world where we all look like Halle Berry or Tiger Woods.....

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by TruckerMe View Post

Dean Cain

Quote Originally Posted by TruckerMe View Post

We'll just find other ways to divide people and put them into categories. Like religion, or other physical attributes like weight, height, eye color, etc. Or it'll be like Brave New World and the genetically perfect will run the world while the imperfect are stratified by their imperfections and given status appropriate to their worth. In that case, bring on the SOMA!