1. #1 Could you be married to a conservative?? How about friends?? 
    link

adigal (1000+ posts) Journal Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list Thu Sep-29-11 11:58 AM
    Original message
    Could you be married to a conservative?? How about friends??

I have found myself to be totally intolerant of conservatives, and have lost numerous friends over this. I feel that as a liberal, I should be compassionate and understanding that others have their own paths and points of view. It is just that the stakes are so high nowadays, with so many of my friends suffering financially, while many of my older friends and family blithely go through life, not feeling the effects of the economy, and not really knowing anyone who does.

My parents consider themselves strong Catholics, yet my mother told me that if she had to wait a few months for an optional surgery, such as a knee replacement, in order to make sure that all Americans get health care, she would be against everyone having health care. What the heck?? What kind of Catholic believes that?? When I get confrontational, and ask her, What would Jesus say? it goes downhill. So I shut up around her. But friends, or a husband? I am in control as to who I associate with, and I cannot abide conservative friends anymore.

I know I should not feel this way, but it is a gut reaction. Anyone else have this experience???
    TwilightGardener Donating Member (1000+ posts) Thu Sep-29-11 12:04 PM
    Response to Original message
    2. I don't see how it work work, long-term. My husband is an independent, but

is fairly progressive. He thinks the Dem party is weak tea and doesn't want to be a part of it, but still generally votes "D". Being with someone who is intolerant, selfish, greedy, and easily frightened just isn't my bag.
    Hmmmm........let's evaluate this comment. Intolerant-check, doesn't tolerate people of opposing political view. Selfish, likely or she wouldn't be so intolerant of those who earn more money than she does. Greedy-check, she expects "free money". Easily frightened, likely, or she'd be more ok with opposing viewpoints. Looks like a classic case of projection and hatred.
    jtrockville Donating Member (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list Thu Sep-29-11 12:06 PM
    5. I'm becoming less and less tolerant.

More and more, I see greed and selfishness at the root of conservative thinking. It's nearly impossible for me to tolerate those attitudes from anyone I'd call a friend.
    Yes they always have some kind of justification for their hatred and intolerance.
    calendargirl (69 posts) Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list Thu Sep-29-11 12:11 PM
    8. Of course not.

I only associate with people who look, think and conduct their lives exactly as I do my own. Why bother with the other 99.9999999999% of the population? @@
    That's why there is so much arguing and verbal put downs at DU even though they are all liberals or progressives. They have to have an "ignore" button so they can "tolerate" each other.

I think the question to adigal is who left whom. She has probably realized that very few people call her anymore and has decided it's she who left them. Probably quite a few liberal friends left her behind as well but she just blocks them out.

People on the Left are VERY hard to get along with....

It's always ME FIRST...

Why can't I have that?

I want, I WANT!

My Ex is so bass-ackwards in her debt I can't help but say, "told ya so"....
    Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.
    Ronald Reagan

We could say they are spending like drunken sailors. That would be unfair to drunken sailors, they're spending their OWN money.
    Ronald Reagan

R.I.P. Crockspot