Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 What if the NFL Played by Teachers' Rules? 
    By FRAN TARKENTON

Imagine the National Football League in an alternate reality. Each player's salary is based on how long he's been in the league. It's about tenure, not talent. The same scale is used for every player, no matter whether he's an All-Pro quarterback or the last man on the roster. For every year a player's been in this NFL, he gets a bump in pay. The only difference between Tom Brady and the worst player in the league is a few years of step increases. And if a player makes it through his third season, he can never be cut from the roster until he chooses to retire, except in the most extreme cases of misconduct.

Let's face the truth about this alternate reality: The on-field product would steadily decline. Why bother playing harder or better and risk getting hurt?

No matter how much money was poured into the league, it wouldn't get better. In fact, in many ways the disincentive to play harder or to try to stand out would be even stronger with more money.

Of course, a few wild-eyed reformers might suggest the whole system was broken and needed revamping to reward better results, but the players union would refuse to budge and then demonize the reform advocates: "They hate football. They hate the players. They hate the fans." The only thing that might get done would be building bigger, more expensive stadiums and installing more state-of-the-art technology. But that just wouldn't help.

If you haven't figured it out yet, the NFL in this alternate reality is the real -life American public education system. Teachers' salaries have no relation to whether teachers are actually good at their job—excellence isn't rewarded, and neither is extra effort. Pay is almost solely determined by how many years they've been teaching. That's it. After a teacher earns tenure, which is often essentially automatic, firing him or her becomes almost impossible, no matter how bad the performance might be. And if you criticize the system, you're demonized for hating teachers and not believing in our nation's children.

Inflation-adjusted spending per student in the United States has nearly tripled since 1970. According to the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development, we spend more per student than any nation except Switzerland, with only middling results to show for it.

Over the past 20 years, we've been told that a big part of the problem is crumbling schools—that with new buildings and computers in every classroom, everything would improve. But even though spending on facilities and equipment has more than doubled since 1989 (again adjusted for inflation), we're still not seeing results, and officials assume the answer is that we haven't spent enough.

These same misguided beliefs are front and center in President Obama's jobs plan, which includes billions for "public school modernization." The popular definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over, expecting different results. We've been spending billions of dollars on school modernization for decades, and I suspect we could keep on doing it until the end of the world, without much in the way of academic results. The only beneficiaries are the teachers unions.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...986845102.html
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    Fran Tarkenton, one of the best things to ever come out of MN...
    "Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings..." Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post
    Fran Tarkenton, one of the best things to ever come out of MN...
    He definately sounds much smarter and comes across in a more logical way than one of their current senators and is certainly more intelligent than one of their former Governors.
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by txradioguy View Post
    What if the NFL Played by Teachers' Rules? Reply to Thread
    Much more amusing would be if schools played by NFL rules. Teacher population would be 65% black and only half of the total would have college degrees. On the upside, it's unlikely that students would physically attack the teacher.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    Much more amusing would be if schools played by NFL rules. Teacher population would be 65% black and only half of the total would have college degrees. On the upside, it's unlikely that students would physically attack the teacher.
    Not to mention the fact that students as well as teachers could actually get fired for poor performance and fined/suspended/cut for illegal behavior.

Teachers actions outside the classroom could get them in trouble and have real consequences should they behave in an illegal manner or in a way that reflects poorly upon the school district.

I think you're on to something here Nova...

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    thats not a rule, thats just how the demographics work out
    "Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings..." Patrick Henry

Also, most teachers would retire by the age of 35, with enough money to live off of for the rest of their lives.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by txradioguy View Post
    Not to mention the fact that students as well as teachers could actually get fired for poor performance and fined/suspended/cut for illegal behavior.

Teachers actions outside the classroom could get them in trouble and have real consequences should they behave in an illegal manner or in a way that reflects poorly upon the school district.

I think you're on to something here Nova...
    Teachers can already be fired for unacceptable performance on the job and serious illegal behavior outside of the job.

Here in Florida we have had a run of teachers fired for drug use and morals charges. We don't have a lot of teachers arrested for flashing guns in nightclubs or assaulting police officers in a traffic stop, at least that I know of.

Aren't a lot of the better contracts in pro-sports ones in which even if the player is suspended, fined, or discharged he still makes a buttload of money? As a rule, this is not the case with teachers.

However, I do think that some people are failing the math portion of this test. If a teacher has 25 kids in his class, and the state supposedly spends $12,000 per student, then that's $300,000 per classroom. Only $60K - $90K (in Florida) of that at the outside is going to the teacher. The remaining $240K is going to admin and political cronies slash "vendors" (builders, materiel, subsistence, etc...). So we actually are talking about some serious money, even if we aren't talking about paying a million a year to a sex crazed overaged juvenile with a taste for cocaine, fast cars, and teenaged girls.

Fabulous Poster
    Maybe teachers should be treated like NASCAR drivers. Give them one important thing to do, and give them the latest equipment and a dedicated and cracker jack support team.

Maybe teachers should be treated like NASCAR drivers. Give them one important thing to do, and give them the latest equipment and a dedicated and cracker jack support team.
    And Nova, once again, might be onto something.

~QC
    "The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. To be your own man is hard business. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." Rudyard Kipling - (1865-1936)

Context doesn't matter to this liberal it seems/ as long as it satisfies his godless dreams/ like monkeys throwing sh!t as castles in air/ as long as he throws/that is the extent of his care.