Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1 If Ignorance Is Truly Bliss Then Somewhere There Is One Happy Canadian 
    Power CUer NJCardFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    16,308
    Don't know how I got sucked into this conversation on a video game no less but last night the discussion, somehow, got to be why Canada is so much better than the U.S. After a moment of laughter from me(not that I think Canada is a bad country but c'mon, they've had us and England holding their hands for a good long while), this "enlightened" Canadian decided to go here(paraphrasing of course): "Well, at least we didn't have slaves and steal land from the native people." I literally had to get up because I was laughing so hard my stomach hurt. After pointing out to them that there were indeed slaves in Canada(and, of course, having to educate them that Europe, not the United States, were responsible for slaves being in the New World), but I had to ask this question: "So, what you're telling me is that white people are indigenous to Canada? Or are you saying that the natives of the Canadian landscape willingly gave up their land to the conquering Europeans?" The answer I received to that after a few seconds was, "Well, at least we have free healthcare." I love it when my point gets proven about liberals and mental illness.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Southwest Michigan (in Exile)
    Posts
    8,757
    Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    Don't know how I got sucked into this conversation on a video game no less but last night the discussion, somehow, got to be why Canada is so much better than the U.S. After a moment of laughter from me(not that I think Canada is a bad country but c'mon, they've had us and England holding their hands for a good long while), this "enlightened" Canadian decided to go here(paraphrasing of course): "Well, at least we didn't have slaves and steal land from the native people." I literally had to get up because I was laughing so hard my stomach hurt. After pointing out to them that there were indeed slaves in Canada(and, of course, having to educate them that Europe, not the United States, were responsible for slaves being in the New World), but I had to ask this question: "So, what you're telling me is that white people are indigenous to Canada? Or are you saying that the natives of the Canadian landscape willingly gave up their land to the conquering Europeans?" The answer I received to that after a few seconds was, "Well, at least we have free healthcare." I love it when my point gets proven about liberals and mental illness.
    let me guess....that bastion of intelligence that is WoW's trade chat?
    "Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings..." Patrick Henry
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    Power CUer NJCardFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    16,308
    Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post
    let me guess....that bastion of intelligence that is WoW's trade chat?
    Actually it was DC Universe Online and an open world "shout". There are a lot of older people like me in this game but something tells me that this was some little school kid who is parroting something their teacher said. What really made me laugh is that someone in the peanut gallery called that person "historically impotent". I fell out of my chair.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Southwest Michigan (in Exile)
    Posts
    8,757
    Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    Actually it was DC Universe Online and an open world "shout". There are a lot of older people like me in this game but something tells me that this was some little school kid who is parroting something their teacher said. What really made me laugh is that someone in the peanut gallery called that person "historically impotent". I fell out of my chair.
    ah...sounds pretty similar then...got into a discussion about how much better the EU economy was over the US one last night...I had to get off to do some homework but the one guy tried saying that Greece was the only one in bad shape and conservative polices had ruined Ireland's
    "Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings..." Patrick Henry
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    Power CUer NJCardFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    16,308
    Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post
    ah...sounds pretty similar then...got into a discussion about how much better the EU economy was over the US one last night...I had to get off to do some homework but the one guy tried saying that Greece was the only one in bad shape and conservative polices had ruined Ireland's
    Oh yeah. A communal economy is a conservative trait. Oh, brother.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •