Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Straight Razor shaving 
    Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    Anyone on the board use a straight razor/safety razor to shave? I've been looking at switching from the standard cartage shaving gear that is out there now to the old way of doing it. I got a bar and brush just haven't used it yet still have some of the "goop" left.

wife found this blog about being "manly" and they have an article on it
    http://artofmanliness.com/2008/01/04...-your-grandpa/
    How To Shave Like Your Grandpa

by Brett and Kate McKay on January 4, 2008 ∑ 208 comments

in Dress & Grooming,Shaving

shaving1.pngProper shaving has become a lost art. Todayís average male has no clue about the fine art of the traditional wet shave that their grandfathers and some of their fathers used to take part in. Instead, theyíre only accustomed to the cheap and disposable shaving products that companies market. Iím not sure when or why it happened, but the tradition of passing down the secrets of a clean shave abruptly stopped. Thankfully, this glorious male ritual is making a comeback.
    Benefits of The Classic Wet Shave

Reduce costs. An 8 pack of your typical four blade cartridge razors can set you back over $20. $20! Thatís $2.50 per cartridge. The cost of a double edged safety razor is no more than $.25. You can save some serious money switching over to a safety razor. Additionally, you can save money by using traditional shaving creams and soaps. A can of the chemically packed gel goop that most drug stores sell can cost you up to $5 a can and it doesnít even last that long and they donít give you a quality shave. On the other hand, traditional shave creams and soaps are made out of natural materials. While their up front cost may be a bit more than shaving gels, you require less product to get a proper lather. Thus, you end up saving more in the long run.

Reduce environmental impact. Traditional wet shaving with a double edged safety razor uses less waste than shaving with cartridge razors. The only waste is a single metal razor blade and lather down the sink. Unlike todayís razor cartridges, a double edged blade can easily be recycled. The tubes and bowls that most traditional shave creams and soaps are sold in produce less waste than those clunky non-biodegradable aerosol canisters that gels come in.

Better, more consistent shaves. Most men today walk around not knowing they have horrible shaves. Electric razors and the latest 5 blade contraptions irritate the skin more than needed, leaving razor burn, ingrown hairs, and redness. Shaving with a safety razor will eliminate the skin irritation and give your face a clean healthy look because youíre just using one blade instead of several that chew up your face in order to cut your whiskers.

Youíll feel like a bad ass. Itís nice taking part in a ritual that great men like your grandfather, John F. Kennedy, and Teddy Roosevelt took part in.
    "Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings..." Patrick Henry

Practice on your neck first.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    thanks...that's REAL helpful
    "Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings..." Patrick Henry

I used to have a barber who used a straight razor complete with the old leather strap sharpener. I've never had a closer shave.

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    I used to have a barber who used a straight razor complete with the old leather strap sharpener. I've never had a closer shave.
    There's a store that specializes in old school shaving and shaving items : The Art of Shaving. The place even has an old school shaving/haircut "barber spa", thing. For you, NJ, there's one in Paramus.

You go, tell me how it goes- - if it's awesome, I'll get my dad one. ;)

~QC
    "The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. To be your own man is hard business. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." Rudyard Kipling - (1865-1936)

Context doesn't matter to this liberal it seems/ as long as it satisfies his godless dreams/ like monkeys throwing sh!t as castles in air/ as long as he throws/that is the extent of his care.

Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post
    thanks...that's REAL helpful
    Well, you could try it on your nuts instead.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post

That's a childhood memory for me, and I have had an irrational fear of straight razors ever since.

I haven't used shaving cream in years. I use a brush and shaving soap in a cup.

I also use a Schick Injector Razor because I have a beard that I trim carefully. A local drugstore still stocks the blades. I may be their only customer; I don't know.

They look like this:

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post

HAHAHAHAHA!
    "The efforts of the government alone will never be enough. In the end the people must choose and the people must help themselves" ~ JFK; from his famous inauguration speech (What Democrats sounded like before today's neo-Liberals hijacked that party)

Quote Originally Posted by TruckerMe View Post
    I haven't used shaving cream in years. I use a brush and shaving soap in a cup.

I also use a Schick Injector Razor because I have a beard that I trim carefully. A local drugstore still stocks the blades. I may be their only customer; I don't know.

They look like this:

"The efforts of the government alone will never be enough. In the end the people must choose and the people must help themselves" ~ JFK; from his famous inauguration speech (What Democrats sounded like before today's neo-Liberals hijacked that party)