Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

1. #1 Kelly: Protesters To Be ‘Met With Force’ If They Target Officers 
    Zuccotti Park Owners: Sanitation Becoming A Problem, Quit Hogging The Place
    October 6, 2011 9:34 PM
    NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — NYPD Commissioner Ray Kelly had some strong words for “Occupy Wall Street” protesters Thursday, blaming participants for starting skirmishes which led to more than 20 arrests on Wednesday.

“What they did is they counted. They actually had a countdown — 10, 9, 8, 7, 6 — they grouped together, they joined arms and they charged the police. They attacked the police. They wanted to get into Wall Street, they wanted to occupy Wall Street,” Kelly told reporters.

Police arrested 28 people Wednesday — mostly for disorderly conduct. There was at least one arrest for assaulting a police officer and police said one protester even knocked an officer off his scooter.

Kelly said that if demonstrators targeted the police, authorities would respond with “force.”

“They’re going to be met with force when they do that — this is just common sense,” he said.

The commissioner said protesters were told to stay within the barricades that police had erected and when they crossed over them they began hassling the cops.

“These people wanted to have confrontation with the police for whatever reason. Somehow, I guess it works to their purposes,” Kelly said.

The commissioner told reporters that the protests have cost the city about $2 million in overtime for officers assigned to cover the demonstrations.

Despite the clashes and arrests, Kelly stressed that as long as protesters followed the rules, there would be no issues.

“We are accommodating peaceful protests. We are proud of the fact that we do that in this city. People are going to be here for an extended period of time. We’re going to accommodate them as long as they do it peacefully and in accordance with the laws and regulations,” he said.

The problem for the city and the police is even if they wanted to, they can’t evict “Occupy Wall Street” as long as they make Zuccotti Park their headquarters. It is private space that must be opened to the public

“The charter, it gives access to the park 24 hours a day, seven says a week,” Kelly said.

When asked by CBS 2′s Marcia Kramer if there was an end game, his response was carefully considered.

“You know, we’ll see. Right now they’re on private property and people who own that property don’t have the power to eject them,” he said.

But Brookfield Office Properties, which owns Zuccotti Park, seems to be slowly building a case against protesters, saying Thursday that the protestors are interfering with the use of the park by others and are creating sanitary problems.

“Sanitation is a growing concern,” Brookfield said in a statement. “Normally the park is cleaned and inspected every weeknight. . . because the protestors refuse to cooperate. . .the park has not been cleaned since Friday, September 16th and as a result, sanitary conditions have reached unacceptable levels.”
    video at link>http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2011/10/...rget-officers/
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

Senior Member Constitutionally Speaking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post

Anyone else have a problem with the fact that the OWNERS of Zuccotti park cannot evict the protestors without going through a ton of red ink?

The protestors have taken over PRIVATE PROPERTY .
    I long for the days when our President actually liked our country.

Quote Originally Posted by Constitutionally Speaking View Post
    Anyone else have a problem with the fact that the OWNERS of Zuccotti park cannot evict the protestors without going through a ton of red ink?

I think that's one of the aims.
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound - Unknown

The problem is Empty People, Not Loaded Guns - Linda Schrock Taylor

I wonder if these idiots even know that it's privately owned and not city property.
    Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
    I wonder if these idiots even know that it's privately owned and not city property.
    they most likely don't give a shit
    "Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings..." Patrick Henry

Who owns the park?

You know these tools renamed it "Liberty Park", and I'm sure the owners love that.

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    Who owns the park?

You know these tools renamed it "Liberty Park", and I'm sure the owners love that.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zuccotti_Park

actually use to be called Liberty Plaza Park...my guess is that they took it over on purpose because it's "owned by a greedy corporation" Brookfield Office Properties
    "Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings..." Patrick Henry

I get the impression the owners are kind of playing both sides of the street, I believe the property company traces back to Obamites and they are treating the pissed-off local population with a Broadway production of "Oh, my, but whatever are we to do???"

Anytime Bloomberg wants, he could just jump to having the site declared a public nuisance due to sanitation and damage issues and close it down, or the owners could file trespass charges on anyone (Everyone) violating the posted park terms of use like 'No tents.'

My sense of it is Bloomberg is waiting for the weather to turn shitty instead of taking a PR hit for acting directly, and the owners of the park are actually following the White House's lead on letting this circus act run until Obama gets his jobs bill passed (Or doesn't, at which point they will still be useful props for him).

Quote Originally Posted by DumbAss Tanker View Post
    I get the impression the owners are kind of playing both sides of the street, I believe the property company traces back to Obamites and they are treating the pissed-off local population with a Broadway production of "Oh, my, but whatever are we to do???"

Anytime Bloomberg wants, he could just jump to having the site declared a public nuisance due to sanitation and damage issues and close it down, or the owners could file trespass charges on anyone (Everyone) violating the posted park terms of use like 'No tents.'

My sense of it is Bloomberg is waiting for the weather to turn shitty instead of taking a PR hit for acting directly, and the owners of the park are actually following the White House's lead on letting this circus act run until Obama gets his jobs bill passed (Or doesn't, at which point they will still be useful props for him).
    I wouldn't count on weather anytime soon, unfortunately.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

You just KNOW the owners are going to send the clean and restore bill to the City. I don't think the weather will help clear it out. The parasitic class will just demand heaters.

Disease will clear it out faster than cold weather. These idiots are urinating and defectating in the park and then having sex in the mud they made. These are the educated college kids who want jobs.