Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    Yes Sarah, death panels.

Guess what? It already works that way and not just for Medicare and Medicaid, but for United Health Care and BCBS. You don't seriously think that you can stay in the hospital an extra day or two to err on the side of caution without the permission of your health insurance company, do you? Some may be easier to get along with than others, but basically all of them are to one degree or another "managed care".

I'm in an HMO. I have gotten the care that I need, and as usual, I had to threaten to leave against medical advice on my last hospital stay. In the long run, it is preferable to any other insurance I have had , especially in terms of out of pocket expenses.
    Sarah was right.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by Arroyo_Doble View Post
    I have a friend who is an economist at a consulting firm and does some work with AEI. He is a true believer in The Market.

He once told me no one gets rich off of poor people. I asked him how such an educated man as himself (doctorate level) could be so ignorant.
    Yes, poor people are conduits for money also. So what? The money that they get is spent just like rich people's money. The poor also get that money from rich people. How many poor people create jobs? Have you ever been hired by a poor person?
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by AmPat View Post
    It still amounts to the government picking money out of my pocket and giving it to somebody else. Wrong is wrong no matter how tortured your argument.
    Assuming that you are healthy, all insurance amounts to the entity taking your premiums and paying them out for someone else's medical problem.

If you are fortunate enough to live long enough, you might consume in medical care all that you have paid in premiums as well as the estimate of premium equivalents paid on your behalf by the taxpayer as your employer in the military. It really can take one silly accident to do it. From personal experience, I can tell you that scraping your leg in warm shallow water can cost the equivalent of 20 years of combined "premiums" calculated at the annual medical cost per person in the US. That babble means that if you divide the cost of a major medical event by $7500 it will render a ballpark of your medical profit or loss.

But if you and your family remain healthy then yes, your money went to pay someone else's medical expenses, unless you are in a private healthcare plan in which case it also went to take corporate executives to their summer homes in helicopters and paid to heat their McMansion's driveways so they don't have to shovel snow.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by AmPat View Post
    Yes, poor people are conduits for money also. So what? The money that they get is spent just like rich people's money. The poor also get that money from rich people. How many poor people create jobs? Have you ever been hired by a poor person?
    Every dollar of welfare money ends up in a rich person's pocket. So who is creating what?

Senior Member Constitutionally Speaking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wei Wu Wei View Post
    If the government works for the people, then the people decide what the government's job is.

Not unless they follow the PROPER procedures to CHANGE THE CONSTITUTION.

We are NOT supposed to be a nation guided by popular whims but by LAWS.

Of course those laws are to be responsive to the people, but not just by whim.
    I long for the days when our President actually liked our country.

Senior Member Constitutionally Speaking's Avatar
    Every dollar of welfare money ends up in a rich person's pocket. So who is creating what?
    Not so and not relevant.
    I long for the days when our President actually liked our country.

Banned
    Poor, poor Nova worrying about what others have and playing the victim card. It must be terrible to be green with envy and not be happy that you live in the greatest country in the world. It is a shame that many liberals feel that way, and do not appreciate the many benefits of the USA.

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    sorry, I'd rather be guided by laws that have worked than the whims of emotion that rule peoples individual lives.
    "Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings..." Patrick Henry

By your twisted "logic'" there would be no welfare money eventually. Poor people create need. Rich people create wealth. You liberals aren't attacking the poor to rob them of tax dollars. I wonder why?
    C. S. Lewis
    Ayn Rand

Assuming that you are healthy, all insurance amounts to the entity taking your premiums and paying them out for someone else's medical problem.

If you are fortunate enough to live long enough, you might consume in medical care all that you have paid in premiums as well as the estimate of premium equivalents paid on your behalf by the taxpayer as your employer in the military. It really can take one silly accident to do it. From personal experience, I can tell you that scraping your leg in warm shallow water can cost the equivalent of 20 years of combined "premiums" calculated at the annual medical cost per person in the US. That babble means that if you divide the cost of a major medical event by $7500 it will render a ballpark of your medical profit or loss.

But if you and your family remain healthy then yes, your money went to pay someone else's medical expenses, unless you are in a private healthcare plan in which case it also went to take corporate executives to their summer homes in helicopters and paid to heat their McMansion's driveways so they don't have to shovel snow.
    I don't believe ANY entity has the right to steal my money and give it to somebody else. DO YOU GET IT? I buy insurance for me and MY family. If you want to pay for all the starving people in India, go for it. My money is for MY family, Not that lazy SOB down the street. Charity is voluntary, not forced by government.
    C. S. Lewis
    Ayn Rand