Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Only I can vote. Not you. Just me. 
    mitchum (1000+ posts) Wed Sep-10-08 08:04 PM
    Original message
    Why do the uninformed and/or undecided feel obligated to vote? That's just something I have never quite understood.

Seems like a situation where they have received a free meal coupon from a restaurant that they don't really care for, but they adopt an attitude of "I don't even really like that food, but I've got this coming to me...and buddy I'm gonna use it!"
    Words just fail me.
    firedupdem (423 posts) Wed Sep-10-08 08:33 PM
    Response to Reply #2
    3. When I became of age and could vote....I didn't know or give
    a hoot as to who or what was on the ballot. My father would tell me who to vote for...he was always voting Democratic thank God or I'd have more things to feel guilty about! Anyway...by the time I was 25 I was totally engaged and looking at the candidates etc. I wish the fuckers who don't care, wouldn't vote. It was save us a lot of trouble....unless they are voting Democratic of course
    From 18 to 25 you voted but didn't care but you want everyone else that doesn't care to not vote. Got it. Then, you turn 25 (get "engaged" in the process) and ultimately vote the same way you did when you were 18 to 25. Tell you what...save that time getting "engaged" and just do something more productive with that time.
    JI7 (1000+ posts) Wed Sep-10-08 08:35 PM
    Response to Original message
    4. the uninformed make up a large percentage of the republican voters
    My head hurts. How can anyone say that with a straight face? These people are truly crazy.

Insane in the membrane

Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    JI7 (1000+ posts) Wed Sep-10-08 08:35 PM
    Response to Original message
    4. the uninformed make up a large percentage of the DEMOCRAT voters. I mean seriously, we're so blinded by hatred of the Bush cabal, we're completely uninformed on what's going on outside of DU, Raw Story, Olbermann, & AAR
    Fixored. .........

in the dummie mind uninformed = stupid = anyone that doesn't think like a dummy.

i love how dummies are so against something as simple as presenting id before you vote (you know, as a way of proving you are who you say you are) and so supportive of "intelligence tests", loaded with liberal questions, to decide who does and doesn't get to vote.

in the end they are their own worst enemy. go ahead, continue to attack sarah. attack her family and children. make "lipstick" jokes about pigs.

these things are sure to make you all *happy dance* with your perverted glee, and guaranteed to drive reasonably thinking americans away from your candidate.

keep it up du. well done...

Why do the uninformed and/or undecided feel obligated to vote? That's just something I have never quite understood.
    Actually, I agree. In fact, I think we ought to have a small literacy and political test that you have to satisfactorily complete before you vote so that no uninformed people will even be able to vote. The test will be free of charge to the voter, of course.

After all, if you can't name the 3 branches of government, define 'bicameral legislature', and distinguish between a democracy and a republic, you really don't need to help decide who gets to be president.
    Last edited by Troll; 09-10-2008 at 10:33 PM.
    Nothing helps a bad mood like spreading it around.

nope. i have to disagree.

if i am for the second amendment, against abortion and opposed to tax increases, etc. that is about all i need to know about which side to vote for.

it doesn't really matter how the machine is constructed. its "parliamentary procedure" and all.

in reality, it doesn't work like a text book would tell you it does anyway. and you know that.

here's what i know. get more of the good guys in office than bad guys, and i have a shot at paying my bills, feeding my family, and having a future.

its that simple...

mitchum (1000+ posts) Wed Sep-10-08 08:04 PM
    Original message

Seems like a situation where they have received a free meal coupon from a restaurant that they don't really care for, but they adopt an attitude of "I don't even really like that food, but I've got this coming to me...and buddy I'm gonna use it!"
    The uninformed, by definition, do not know that they are uninformed. No one has informed them of the fact that they are uninformed so they vote. Of course, even being informed that one is uninformed does not mean that the uninformed will believed it. Now we have the question, if the uninformed are informed that they are uninformed and the don't accept that they are uninformed are they now wilfully uninformed? Is wilfully uninformed an oxymoron? They are without a doubt woefully uninformed, but either way they still vote. I cite DU and it's members as prime examples of the uninformed being informed that they are uninformed, disregarding the information, remaining uninformed and voting anyways against their best interests because they are wilfully uninformed of what is in their best interests.

... just something to consider.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Goldwater
    William Buckley said something similar, people should take an IQ test before they can vote or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldwater View Post
    William Buckley said something similar, people should take an IQ test before they can vote or something.
    I'd be happy with people having to pass a basic civics test before they are allowed to vote.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Sonnabend
    3. When I became of age and could vote....I didn't know or give a hoot as to who or what was on the ballot.
    Y'know, speaking as an Aussie...lemme tell you, DUmmie...no one ever told me who to vote for. If they did they'd have gotten an earful. It's..galling...to see the franchise wasted on an idiot who lets someone else tell them what to think...isnt that what you accuse us of?

I have voted in every election without fail, local, mayoral, national, federal. My name is on the jury list..I have never been called, but my name is there. I know the issues, I know what works and what doesnt, and I know who I can vote for, and who is a waste of space.

I will wager that more than 50% of the DUmmies will either vote or forget to vote.

Hopw many times has Australia been branded as "third world", or derided as "backward" by peoiple like you...yet when it comes to civics and social responsiblity and the right to vote..we leave you looking like the apathetic do nothng whingeing morons you are?

There is another election this weekend. In between being tested for possible cancer, blood tests, an echocardiogram and then being back home to do a BTR segment, I will make sure to have voted.

We have a 97 percent turnout rate, and the voters are well informed and know the issues. We meet our local members..I met them yesterday on the way to the train station. know where they stand.

I'd be happy with people having to pass a basic civics test before they are allowed to vote.
    I'd be happy to see more than a 50 percent turnout for this election.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonnabend View Post

I'd be happy to see more than a 50 percent turnout for this election.
    I'm not sure I can agree. Sure I'd like more people to vote - but votes cast in ignorance get us presidents like carter.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.