1. #1 What's your favorite book on career success? 
    Just wondering. Are there any really practical or really inspirational books that you personally have found helpful?

There are three.

1) Think and Grow Rich....I still have my original copy, which I signed and dated upon completion in 1970.

2) Psycho-cybernetics...I still have my original copy of this book, which I finished in 1969. It is about worn out.

3) The Richest Man in Babylon...This book came to me a bit later in my career. I believe the copy in my book case is the only one I have ever owned.

I say there are three objectives which must be mastered by anyone in any field who wishes to call himself successful:
    You must learn to listen.
    You must learn to speak in public.
    You must learn to handle money.

When my grandson graduates from high school and sets off to college (he will go on scholarship) he will receive his copy of each of those three books.

What color is your Ballon. Read back in the 80's don't know if it is around or been updated.
    I dream of the day a chicken can cross the road without it's motives being questioned.

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    How is a state religion bad, but state medicine good?
    Quote Originally Posted by steamboatpete View Post
    Anyone who makes the decision to depend upon the government to take care of their basic needs has essentially doomed himself to a life of bitter disappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Rick View Post
    What color is your Ballon. Read back in the 80's don't know if it is around or been updated.

This one?

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/what...ur%2bparachute

Yep, thats the one, kinda missed the title. Wow, 40 edition, I just might have to get it. See what I have have missed.
    I dream of the day a chicken can cross the road without it's motives being questioned.

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    How is a state religion bad, but state medicine good?
    Quote Originally Posted by steamboatpete View Post
    Anyone who makes the decision to depend upon the government to take care of their basic needs has essentially doomed himself to a life of bitter disappointment.

Back in the days when Mr. ABC was working, books by Wes Roberts were widely touted and read by many.

Overview from Barnes & Noble site:

Wess Roberts's runaway 1989 bestseller, Leadership Secrets of Attila the Hun, took the publishing and business worlds by storm. In boardrooms across America, CEOs and managers praised the book's concise, straightforward wisdom, and made it their business bible.

>snip<

In Victory Secrets, he applies Attila's wisdom and lessons to the problems of leadership in organizations. If Leadership Secrets helped form the soldiers, Victory Secrets serves as the battle plan for the army itself. Again relying on Attila's pithy maxims, Roberts shows not only how to establish successful management within an organization, but how to lead an entrepreneurial team (the Huns) against a giant, entrenched competitor (the Romans). Victory Secrets is packed with provocative and timely "Attilaisms" on topics ranging from "Cultivating Allies" to "Practical Dreaming" and "Dodging Arrows."
    As enjoyable as it is insightful and instructive, Victory Secrets of Attila the Hun, like its now classic predecessor, is essential reading for managers and leaders everywhere.
    Anyone remember these?

~ ABC
    American By Choice ~ 1980

"Snakes in Suits"-Babiak.... about functional psychopaths...it teaches you the tools you need to deal with them.:D
    (Presuming you are not one)

Why So Quick to Call Business Leaders Psychopaths?

http://pajamasmedia.com/lifestyle/20...s-psychopaths/

Posted at 2:49 am on September 3rd, 2011 by Dr.. Helen Smith

I was reading an article over at CNBC entitled “Think Your Boss Is a Psychopath? That May Be True.”
    In a recent study of more than 200 executives, nearly 4 percent scored at or above the traditional cutoff for psychopathy using the Psychopathy Checklist, which researchers regard as the “gold standard” for assessing this personality disorder, said Paul Babiak, one of the researchers who conducted the study and co-author of the book, “Snakes in Suits: When Psychopaths Go to Work.”

>snip<

I have to wonder about this study and the way that CNBC presented this article. It makes it sound like business leaders who are psychopaths are a dime a dozen. Why are they picking on business leaders and the corporate world? Is it because the study authors or CNBC have it in their own minds that corporate bosses are corrupt, kind of like the author of this kooky article entitled “Capitalism: A System Run By and For Psychopaths”?

>snip<

Why business leaders? Why not study SEIU members or liberal politicians? Where is that study?
    ~ ABC
    Last edited by ABC in Georgia; 10-10-2011 at 08:45 PM.
    American By Choice ~ 1980

20 Years At Hull House by Jane Addams.

I'm a liberal, after all.