1. #1 American economists win Nobel 
    eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    (CNNMoney) -- Two American economists won the Nobel Prize for economics on Monday for their work studying how changes in government policies or economic shocks affect a nation's economy.

Thomas Sargent, a professor at New York University, and Christopher Sims, a professor at Princeton University, both 68, will share the award and the $1.49 million prize money for the work they do together.

While the global economy has been shaken by a series of shocks and policy responses, Sims said the research that won the award doesn't have any direct solutions for what ails various countries.

But the methods he and Sargent have developed could be used to help guide policymakers, he said.

Linky
    May the FORCE be with you!

"I don't think my research and methods have any simple direct implications for the current situation," he said in a telephone press conference with reporters in Sweden. "They point to ways to try to unravel why our current situation developed, and new research may lead us out of it."
    Now there's a thought: We'll just research our way out of it. But it'll take new research; the old research won't help us.

Of course, new research must needs a new research grant. Perhaps millions. We should get right on it.

Banned
    When tools like ManBearPig and President Clueless were awarded Nobel Prizes the credibility of that award dropped to zero.

Is it just me, or is this a troubling statement?

Asked how he would invest his share of the winnings, Sims said he would keep it in cash while he considers what to do with it.
    Shouldn't a Nobel Laureate in economics have an idea of how to invest a large windfall? I realize that he deals in macro, and this is a micro problem, but c'mon...
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!