Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by txradioguy View Post
    It used to be that you were seen by a military medical officer if you needed meds he wrote out the prescription and you walked down the hall to the pharmacy handed the scrip to a Jr. NCO or enlisted and they filled it on the spot...case closed.

It worked that way for not only the soldiers but their family members as well for medical as well as dental and other needs.

I can't think of anyone in the military that thinks things improved when we were forced to accept tricare back in 1996.
    Well... there are a few Exceptions. I am one.

I'm a AGR soldier with o major military installation within a 200 mile radius. Without Tri-Care, I'd be pretty hosed.

Of course, back when I was regular Active Duty, it was just as you say. But then, I lived on base so it was easy for me then.
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made so and kept so by the exertions of better men [and women] than himself." ~John Stuart Mill, 1806 - 1873

.....According to this “plan”, the White House proposes to freeze all salary rates for military personnel. Additionally, Housing allowances will be frozen, while medical insurance (Tri-Care) premiums and co-payments are spiked to (using their language) “levels commensurate to current national levels”.

Furthermore, this proposed “budget plan” takes aim at our current retirement structure, obliterating it entirely and instituting a government controlled “401k” style of retirement system.....
    [I only spent 8 1/2 years active, so I never retired from the military. I served in Vietnam in Operation Game Warden, 1968. 14,000 men were killed that year.]

The problem that I see with your complaints is that it puts you in the same bucket with everyone else in America. Pay rates are frozen everywhere. Everyone's retirement is in shambles, and many of them are simply gone; no money.
    Everyone knows and everyone agrees (at least those that count) that your missions are hard. Terribly difficult, even.

But consider that the current system was designed when military personnel were paid significantly less than their civilian counterparts. Generals and Admirals never made as much as well paid executives; Sergeants, and Chief Petty Officers never made what a competent electrician could make. So they retired early, and took home half their salary, which was a pittance.

My, how things have changed. My father, who retired in 1959 as a Lt Commander, died in 2009, after collecting half the pay of an active duty Lt Commander for a solid 50 years. We could debate all day about how much he was due and how it should be paid, and I'm sure everyone has an opinion. But the fact is, that no system - military or civilian - can survive that kind of economic backloading. To pay someone half their salary for 50 years after serving 20 is just not affordable if they have been paid adequately. The old system - the one they are now phasing out - assumed the old military pay scale.

Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    It's disgraceful the way our active duty service men and women, and retirees and those dependent on Tri-Care are being treated.
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!

Quote Originally Posted by Witmaster View Post
    Yes.

I sent it to every Senator in the country. Most have responded.

It's been a mixed bag of tricks. Some weighing in starkly against the proposed cuts to Military benefits. Others in favor of modifying. Some just hedging up and not committing to anything.

Many are replying with "canned" answers, presumably prepared in advance or as a result of the multitude of emails they are receiving.

Ben Nelson was the first respond with a personal email as well as a .pdf file of a letter he drafted to Panetta (signed by several bi-partisan members) in objection to the proposed cuts.
    Awesome.

And good on Ben Nelson. I need to write my own Senators here in California.

Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    Awesome.

And good on Ben Nelson. I need to write my own Senators here in California.
    Ben is trying to shore up his reputation. The good citizens of Nebraska don't forget that easy. He is up for re-election and hopefully he will be replaced by a real Conservative from the GOP.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    ...... I need to write my own Senators here in California.....
    Oh, and good luck with THAT!:) You think Barbara and Dianne are on board with what a constituent may want?:D

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by AmPat View Post
    [FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"][SIZE="5"]To the Honorable ______________________________, Since President OBama is offering the US military such a generous and brilliant retirement plan,
    I haven't read the actual plan in question. But I have been told by my Republican governor that 401K programs are the future, that traditional retirement plans have to go.

Scott: State workers should move to 401Ks

Associated Press
    Published: Tuesday, April 12, 2011 at 12:24 p.m.
    Last Modified: Tuesday, April 12, 2011 at 12:24 p.m.
    TALLAHASSHOLE - Gov. Rick Scott says the Legislature's proposed changes to state pensions don't go far enough and wants to move to a 401K retirement plan for state workers.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    I haven't read the actual plan in question. But I have been told by my Republican governor that 401K programs are the future, that traditional retirement plans have to go.

Scott: State workers should move to 401Ks

Associated Press
    Published: Tuesday, April 12, 2011 at 12:24 p.m.
    Last Modified: Tuesday, April 12, 2011 at 12:24 p.m.
    TALLAHASSHOLE - Gov. Rick Scott says the Legislature's proposed changes to state pensions don't go far enough and wants to move to a 401K retirement plan for state workers.
    When having a limb blown off is a not so entirely unreasonable expectation of the average state worker, then we can start compairing the military retirement plan to theirs.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    When having a limb blown off is a not so entirely unreasonable expectation of the average state worker, then we can start compairing the military retirement plan to theirs.
    Should all retirement plans be rated for risk?

http://www.beforeyousignup.info/joining/army/54-danger

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    Should all retirement plans be rated for risk?

http://www.beforeyousignup.info/joining/army/54-danger

You know...nah never mind...
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.