Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Child Slaves Made Your Halloween Candy 
    Donnachaidh Donating Member (1000+ posts) Journal Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list Sat Oct-15-11 03:12 PM
    Original message
    Child Slaves Made Your Halloween Candy

http://www.readersupportednews.org/news-section2/328-12...

I'm the mother of four children, age two to six. That means I've spent six Halloweens supervising my kids as they canvas our neighborhood, snapping up chocolates from our neighbors. I only discovered last year that my kids were collecting the products of child laborers, some of whom have been trafficked for the chocolate trade.

Every October, American kids like mine are treated to a wide array of chocolates—Snickers, Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, Butterfingers—because hundreds of thousands of children in West Africa are enslaved harvesting cocoa beans. These children are performing this work for the benefit of most of the mainstream chocolate providers in the United States. A report from the International Institute of Tropical Agriculture on cocoa farms in the Ivory Coast and other African countries estimated there were 284,000 children working on cocoa farms in hazardous conditions. Many of them have been taken from their families and sold as servants. U.S. chocolate manufacturers have claimed they are not responsible for the conditions on cocoa plantations, since they don't own them. This group includes Hershey, Mars, Nestle, and the U.S. division of Cadbury. Collectively, they are responsible for pretty much every snack-size candy bar available in stores this Halloween.

The connection between major candy bar manufacturers and child slavery is one of the world's best-kept secrets. I consider myself proactive about educating myself about social justice issues, and yet I only found out last year by way of a documentary produced by the BBC. I was shocked to learn that the International Labor Rights Fund has sued the U.S. government for failing to enforce laws prohibiting the import of products made with child labor. And I was even more surprised to hear that the chocolate industry has blown by numerous deadlines set by Congress to begin regulating itself. A few major chocolate companies have mounted some smoke-and-mirror campaigns over the past year, either offering obscure fair-trade chocolate bars in addition to their slave-made materials or making a big show of donating to charities that support farmers. This does not change the fact that they refuse to be accountable for human rights abuses of children in their supply chains.

What concerns me even more is that we, as consumers, are not demanding that this be stopped. Some continue to buy chocolate even after learning about these human rights abuses. I've heard excuses from people in my own life, and they echo the rationalizations I've made myself in the past: "We can't afford fair-trade." "We're addicted to chocolate." "We can't change everything." Secretly, we just don't relate because these are kids in a far-off country instead of our own. It's ok as long as we don't have to see it happening right in front of us. We'll take the candy bar.
    http://www.democraticunderground.com...ss=439x2123350

I will make sure to have my kids give a big thank you to the kids picking them coco beans....:D that way my kids can enjoy the fruits of there labor.......:D
    Lets just paint some happy clouds over at the sunshine and lollipop land

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by aka:PBS View Post
    because hundreds of thousands of children in West Africa are enslaved harvesting cocoa beans. These children are performing this work for the benefit of most of the mainstream chocolate providers in the United States. ......:D
    But this same fool thinks it's nice and wholesome to eat in a Chinese restaurant where the owners kids are doing their homework behind the counter (before they wash the dishes)? But this same fool thinks that kids on American farms don't work?

There are plenty of idiots on both sides. The republican idiots tend to not want the facts to interfere with their prejudices. The democratic idiot tend to not want the facts to interfere with their philosophy. Different buckets, same bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    But this same fool thinks it's nice and wholesome to eat in a Chinese restaurant where the owners kids are doing their homework behind the counter (before they wash the dishes)? But this same fool thinks that kids on American farms don't work?

There are plenty of idiots on both sides. The republican idiots tend to not want the facts to interfere with their prejudices. The democratic idiot tend to not want the facts to interfere with their philosophy. Different buckets, same bullshit.
    I'm sure you meant to say the Republicans don't ignore the facts if they conflict with their ideals, while the Democrats tend to ignore every fact that interferes with either their philosophy or their prejudices. I'm sure you wouldn't have deliberately told an outright lie about which side of the political fence is most prejudiced and most likely to ignore facts, right?
    -
    -
    -

In actual dollars, President Obama’s $4.4 trillion in deficit spending in just three years is 37 percent higher than the previous record of $3.2 trillion (held by President George W. Bush) in deficit spending for an entire presidency. It’s no small feat to demolish an 8-year record in just 3 years.

Under Obama’s own projections, interest payments on the debt are on course to triple from 2010 (his first budgetary year) to 2018, climbing from $196 billion to $685 billion annually.

Okay, Donna isn't taking the kids Tricker-Treating this year because of some weird PC notion that crawled into her head and died there

Years from now her kids can complain to a $150 an hour head shrinker that their Mom f*cked their childhood because she was more worried about some kid in a third world country and didn't give a rat's ass about how her own kids turned out.
    CU's Paranormal Expert.

Keep your powder dry, your sword sharp and your wits intact.

Damn you Big Chocolate.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Damn you Big Chocolate.
    I did see a documentary about cocoa that would make you never want to eat it again. But it wasn't because of child labor, it was because of the nasty way it's handled in Africa.

It's native to the Americas, if it disturbs her that Africans grow it, then she is free to start her own organic child free cocoa farm.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Damn you Big Chocolate.
    Damn you Milton Hershey.
    Yes..this camera is heavy.
    No...you can't be on TV.
    Look kid, go bother the reporter...I'm busy!!!

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Stop Big Bean!!!!

Get the DU Activist Groups on this pronto!!!:D
    May the FORCE be with you!

Hey Donna, take yer "social justice" and stuff it in yer Hershey hole.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

I'm going to start..

Capitalists Cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs...
    Yes..this camera is heavy.
    No...you can't be on TV.
    Look kid, go bother the reporter...I'm busy!!!