Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsSmith View Post
    Some guidelines for truly poor:

Not enough money to smoke or drink

Not enough money to run an air conditioner

Not enough money to run a dishwasher

Not enough money to run a dryer if you can possibly hang clothes out

No one gets new clothes until you've exhausted every chance of finding them at a garage sale, thrift store or any other source of hand-me-downs. If you can sew them, you do. If you can make them by cutting down a larger item that no one wears, you do.

1/2 your food is bagged, dried beans or rice. If you have meat, it's hamburger, pig's feet, chicken drumsticks, or whatever happens to be on the best sale. When a neighbor gives you a few pounds of venison, you nearly cry.

You roll pennies to fill the prescription for your sick kid, and beg the Dr. office to wait until your next check for their money

It goes without saying, but no cable, internet, cell phone, etc.

If you can swing a car, you balance best gas mileage with purchase price. Looks don't count at all, but mechanical condition does.

You set your thermostat at 60 during the winter. If someone gets sick, you run a radiator style electric heater in their room because that takes the least money to heat the space.
    I think that the working definition of poor is what you are after Obama has decided that you are a millionaire and taxed you accordingly.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    I think that the working definition of poor is what you are after Obama has decided that you are a millionaire and taxed you accordingly.
    Probably! :D My list was all from personal experience.
    -
    -
    -

In actual dollars, President Obamaís $4.4 trillion in deficit spending in just three years is 37 percent higher than the previous record of $3.2 trillion (held by President George W. Bush) in deficit spending for an entire presidency. Itís no small feat to demolish an 8-year record in just 3 years.

Under Obamaís own projections, interest payments on the debt are on course to triple from 2010 (his first budgetary year) to 2018, climbing from $196 billion to $685 billion annually.

Poor is when you can only afford half the memory your laptop is capable of using.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    Poor is when you can only afford half the memory your laptop is capable of using.
    I hadn't thought about maxing out the memory on this macbook because it didn't seem necessary. What was I thinking? Just checked, and it would only cost $67 to go from 2GB to 4 GB. The thing that pisses me off is that instead of buying one 2 GB module, I need to buy two and the existing memory goes in the trash (it will go in my desk, and then two years from now it will go in the trash.)

Right now I am running on the charger full time, because I just got it back from the repair place, got a new keyboard and track pad under warranty (about to expire at 3 years) but they said my battery was swollen (it is) and needs to be replaced. So right now there is a hole in the back of my computer while I debate internally the cost effectiveness of apple OEM battery ($120) or "just as good" ($60).

You're poor if you think you are. You're rich if your neighbor thinks you are. If neither, you're probably middle class - whatever that is.

http://members.socket.net/~mcruzan/images/allen-west.jpg

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

THIS POST WILL BE MONITORED BY THE NSA

Quote Originally Posted by MrsSmith View Post
    Probably! :D My list was all from personal experience.
    Reaally? Sounds more like you,re watching me right now :eek: Honestly, I don't have a lot, BUT I don,t consider myself poor...

Just have to work for the next level
    Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.
    Ronald Reagan

We could say they are spending like drunken sailors. That would be unfair to drunken sailors, they're spending their OWN money.
    Ronald Reagan

R.I.P. Crockspot

The year I made less than $6,000 for the entire year.

That was 2000.

Nothing like being 31 and having to move you and your two kids back in with your parents.

The only reason I had any income at all that year was thanks to my National Guard drill checks.
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

You're poor if you have a 42" flat screen but your neighbor who works has a 60".

I don't know why people obsess over TV's and stuff. If you go to any Goodwill store you can find TV's for under $100, Goodwill outlet stores sells big-screen TV's for under $50.

These thrift resell shops sell clothes and shoes for a few dollars. They sell toys and kitchen gadgets for the same price.

Just because you would rather (and are able) to go waste $900 on a new tv from Best Buy doesn't mean that's what everyone does.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Smith - Wealth of Nations
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.

They sell xbox 360's for about $60. A family that can't afford $1000+ per month rent buys their child a once-a-year under-$100 toy for christmas so that the kid doesn't spend his time around the crackheads and gang members in these bad neighborhoods, and you people vilify them because you view that as a luxury.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Smith - Wealth of Nations
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.