Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by marv View Post
    You're poor if you think you are. You're rich if your neighbor thinks you are. If neither, you're probably middle class - whatever that is.
    The term "middle class" has been something of an opiate of the masses in the US. Few people have classified themselves as rich. The truly rich keep quiet, and everyone else considers himself middle class unless he's on welfare. When middle class stretches from a two Walmart income household to a guy in a Manhattan penthouse the term is meaningless. Traditionally, "middle class" referred only to gentlemen ie non titled men of means who did not do manual labor. From there you went to merchant class, tradesmen, working class (laborers and miners), servants, tinkers, organ grinder, organ grinder monkey, field hand, slave, poor white trash, beggar.

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    Middle Class: makes from $50,000 to $200,000/year
    "Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings..." Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by Wei Wu Wei View Post
    They sell xbox 360's for about $60. A family that can't afford $1000+ per month rent buys their child a once-a-year under-$100 toy for christmas so that the kid doesn't spend his time around the crackheads and gang members in these bad neighborhoods, and you people vilify them because you view that as a luxury.
    However, when buying said XBox then complaining that you don't have enough food or you don't have medical insurance. But don't give me this guff about buying an XBox just to keep a kid away from crackheads. Being a responsible parent keeps kids away from crackheads. If you want to entertain a kid, take him to the library and do you know how much games cost? $60 a pop. Oh, and gaming systems are luxuries. We didn't have these things growing up and we didn't hang around with gangs. You're just copping out and making excuses.

Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post
    Middle Class: makes from $50,000 to $200,000/year
    My pension and our combined SS total $32k/year (without a COLA for two years despite inflation), so I guess we're poor - except we own our three bedroom AC'd house and two vehicles free and clear, pay for health insurance, have four TVs, two VCRs and Dish satellite, two PCs, four sweet dogs, two guns, manage a modest savings account,...I could go on.

It's not what you have, it's what you do with what you have. That's called budgeting and managing your income. THAT'S middle class.

http://members.socket.net/~mcruzan/images/allen-west.jpg

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

THIS POST WILL BE MONITORED BY THE NSA

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    However, when buying said XBox then complaining that you don't have enough food or you don't have medical insurance. But don't give me this guff about buying an XBox just to keep a kid away from crackheads. Being a responsible parent keeps kids away from crackheads. If you want to entertain a kid, take him to the library and do you know how much games cost? $60 a pop. Oh, and gaming systems are luxuries. We didn't have these things growing up and we didn't hang around with gangs. You're just copping out and making excuses.
    His post might need some work but so does your response. This crap of, "When I was a kid I played with an old tire, and I liked it." is just that: crap. Part of being an American is that poverty isn't the unrelenting desperation we see in Africa. Even the Jode family had some relief from time to time.

Poverty also means poor today and the outlook is poor. So when you have virtually nothing and a crappy job and not much in the way of prospects, you manage to give your kid a little something when you can. By your logic, you shouldn't buy your kid anything, because you aren't financially independent, and you never know when you might get laid off and need the money you just spent on a tricycle.

Notice how no one ever says, "He says he's poor, but just look at that kid of his on a tricycle!" Tricycles start at $59 at Walmart. Tricycles for disabled kids runs $400 - $700.

XBox internet cellphone it's all a luxury when you've got those things and are using food stamps to get groceries.
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    Reaally? Sounds more like you,re watching me right now :eek: Honestly, I don't have a lot, BUT I don,t consider myself poor...

Just have to work for the next level
    Post a video of you dancing on one foot barking like a dog and I will send you a can of tuna.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    His post might need some work but so does your response. This crap of, "When I was a kid I played with an old tire, and I liked it." is just that: crap. Part of being an American is that poverty isn't the unrelenting desperation we see in Africa. Even the Jode family had some relief from time to time.

Poverty also means poor today and the outlook is poor. So when you have virtually nothing and a crappy job and not much in the way of prospects, you manage to give your kid a little something when you can. By your logic, you shouldn't buy your kid anything, because you aren't financially independent, and you never know when you might get laid off and need the money you just spent on a tricycle.

Notice how no one ever says, "He says he's poor, but just look at that kid of his on a tricycle!" Tricycles start at $59 at Walmart. Tricycles for disabled kids runs $400 - $700.
    You do not have a clue what poor is. The so called poor in the USA are rich compared to over 90% of the rest of the world. That is why the REAL poor want to come to this country.

If your outlook is poor and you have a crappy job, that could be your fault. No country in the world offers the opportunity as this country. My parents grew up in the depression. My dad could not go to high school because they were too poor to buy books. Liberals like you make me want to go puke. Life is what you make of it. Pessimistic people will always be miserable and happiness will escape them.

But I have always said that the poorest of the poor are the rural poor. They tend to have a lot less than the urban poor, and certainly less than the professionally poor.
    Yet, they tend to bitch the least. Rural poor also tends to be amongthe most self sufficient people in the nation.
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

And, as usual, your idiocy leaks through. Yes the Jodes found relief once in a while but you didn't see them blowing what little they had going to the movies did you. The point is, if you can barely afford to eat then you certainly can ill afford a gaming system. The funny thing is that so called poor people have stuff that even I don't have because I tend to use my money for necessities. And I make over $60K a year.