Thread: Sports Trivia

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Sports Trivia 
    This was started in the baseball thread but I thought it deserved it's own thread. I shall start:

Everyone knows(I hope) that the Kansas City Chiefs began as the Dallas Texans in the early years of the AFL. However, 8 years prior, the NFL had their own version of the Dallas Texans who only lasted one season. Even though this existing team's history does not include this Texans team, the Texans franchise, players and all, moved to their new city in 1953 where they remained until they moved to another city. So, who did the Texans(1952) become?

...the Baltimore Colts. But they were another team before becoming the Texans.

http://members.socket.net/~mcruzan/images/allen-west.jpg

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

THIS POST WILL BE MONITORED BY THE NSA

Quote Originally Posted by marv View Post
    ...the Baltimore Colts. But they were another team before becoming the Texans.
    True but they don't share that lineage but technically the Colts go all the way back to the Akron Pros who were the first ever NFL champions. The Pros franchise was moved to Boston and became the Yanks then the Yanks moved to NY and became the Yankees. When they ceased operations, they were bought and moved to Dallas but failed miserably. Carroll Rosenbloom bought their rights and moved them to Baltimore. Later, in an odd move, Robert Irsay bought the LA Rams then traded the Rams to Rosenbloom for the Colts.

Another question:

Everyone knows that Curt Flood's refusal to join the team he was traded to led to free agency. What was the team he was traded to?

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    Another question:

Everyone knows that Curt Flood's refusal to join the team he was traded to led to free agency. What was the team he was traded to?
    The Phillies, but who did he play for his final year?

And another question:

What team was the first to win the Super Bowl from the wild card spot?

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

What team was the first to win the Super Bowl from the wild card spot?
    Technically or recognized? The 1980 Oakland Raiders, however, the 1969 KC Chiefs were a wild card as they finished 2nd in the AFL's western division.

As for Flood, the Washington Senators...but the Senators who are now the Rangers.

What NHL team began as the Kansas City Scouts?

Technically or recognized? The 1980 Oakland Raiders, however, the 1969 KC Chiefs were a wild card as they finished 2nd in the AFL's western division.
    "Actually" the Chiefs, although sports announcers keep saying the Raiders. Of course, growing up in KC, you know my bias...

As for Flood, the Washington Senators...but the Senators who are now the Rangers.
    Flood was traded to the Phillies, even though he wouldn't report, and sat out the year. He did wind up with the then Washington Senators.

What NHL team began as the Kansas City Scouts?
    Not being a hocky fan - except during the olympics - I'll pass. But I'll counter with a "who are these folks" logo...

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    I got one, who are the top 5 QB's with the most Interceptions in NFL history? and who they played for
    "Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings..." Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post
    I got one, who are the top 5 QB's with the most Interceptions in NFL history? and who they played for
    Tough one. But it's gotta include Cutler and Farve, though. Broncos and Packers respectively.

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    Tough one. But it's gotta include Cutler and Farve, though. Broncos and Packers respectively.
    Favre is #1, Cutler is no where near that list yet
    "Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings..." Patrick Henry

Not being a hocky fan - except during the olympics - I'll pass. But I'll counter with a "who are these folks" logo...

Well, the Scouts:

In 1976 they moved to Denver and became the Colorado Rockies:

Then in 1982 they packed up, moved east, and became....