1. #1 You Know That Your City Has Become A Hellhole When…. 
    All across America there are cities and towns that were once prosperous and beautiful that are being transformed into absolute hellholes. The scars left by the long-term economic decline of the United States are getting deeper and more gruesome. The tax base in many areas of the nation has been absolutely devastated as millions of jobs have left this country. Hundreds of cities are drowning in debt and are desperately trying to survive.

Last year, city government revenues in the United States fell by another 2.3 percent. That was the fifth year in a row that we have seen a decline. Meanwhile, costs associated with health care, pensions and virtually everything else continue to explode. So what are cities doing to make ends meet? Well, one big trend that we are now witnessing is that many U.S. cities have been getting rid of huge numbers of employees. If you can believe it, 72 percent of all U.S. cities are laying workers off this year. Social services and essential infrastructure programs are also being savagely cut back in many areas of the country. The cold, hard truth is that most of our cities are flat broke and things are going to get even worse in the years ahead.

So how do you know if your own city has become a hellhole?

Well, a few potential "red flags" are posted below....

You know that your city has become a hellhole when most of the street lights get repossessed because of unpaid electric bills.

You know that your city has become a hellhole when it announces that it will no longer prosecute domestic violence cases in order to save money.

You know that your city has become a hellhole when it simply stops sending out pension checks to retired workers.

You know that your city has become a hellhole when it rips up asphalt roads and replaces them with gravel because gravel is cheaper to maintain.

desperateYou know that your city has become a hellhole when it eliminates the entire public bus system.

You know that your city has become a hellhole when nearly half of all the people living there can't read. ...
    All the links and the rest of the list here

You know your city is a hellhole when you call the police to report a break-in at your house and the police tell you to move.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    You know your city is a hellhole when you call the police to report a break-in at your house and the police tell you to move.
    Unfortunately, probably happens a lot more often than anyone cares to admit.

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    or takes 8 hours to get there and the dispatcher tells you the cops are "busy" even though there is no major reports to the media during those hours
    "Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings..." Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post
    or takes 8 hours to get there and the dispatcher tells you the cops are "busy" even though there is no major reports to the media during those hours
    An old man's garage kept on getting broken into and he could never get the police to com and investigate. One night, 2 idiots were breaking into his garage and he called the police. The dispatcher told him that they were very busy that night and would send someone as soon as someone became available. 5 minutes later, he called back and told the dispatcher that not to be in a hurry because he just shot the 2 burglars. 3 minutes later, 3 squad card pulled up, sirens blaring, as well as the SWAT van. The old man met them and the sergeant asked him where the bodies were. He said that there weren't any bodies. The sergeant then said, "I thought you said that you shot them." The old man replied, "I thought you told me you were busy."

Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post
    The old lady who lived next door to me in Detroit got mugged one night. It was summer, and I was in my living room with the windows open, and she came up to the window and asked me to call the police. She and her husband had been returning from a night out, and their car stalled out right in front of their house-when she got out of the car, the scumbag pushed her down, took her purse and ran away.

So, because there was no weapon used and the mugger was long gone, I called the precinct instead of 911, so as not to tie up the system with a non-emergency. The officer who answered told me 1. I can't call in a crime if I'm not the victim (that would suck for someone who had been beaten unconscious) and 2. they weren't going to send anyone out because it wasn't an emergency and they didn't have enough people.

I went out to tell my neighbors what the police just told me, and her slightly senile husband had brought their other car out and was trying to jump start the stalled car. She went in to call 911, I grabbed my baseball bat and watched over him while waiting for the police to come. After she called 911, an officer was there within 10 minutes.

Until I moved out of the hood in 2001, I was known as the crazy white lady with the baseball bat.

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    http://www.620wtmj.com/shows/wisafte...policeresponse

there is a big investigation by Jon Mercure going on over the Milwaukee police's response times. One woman reported a home invasion and it took MPD 6-8 hours to respond to her
    "Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings..." Patrick Henry

I had to call the cops because a drunken homeless guy was shouting and singing outside my window when I lived in NYC (Dinkins era). The desk sergeant told me that he couldn't do anything, because the guy had the right to be there (it was around 2:00 AM). I asked him if I there was anything that I could do, and he responded that I could do what he was going to do. I asked him what he was going to do, and he said that he was up for retirement in a year, and he was moving out of New York.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!