1. #1 What went wrong with the Citiback arrests (my perspective). 
    link

The story a few days ago was that some OWS people were arrested "because they went into a Citibank to close their account". I knew that there was more to the story and had my suspicions (which were right), but it's a bit surprising to find out on DU.
    garybeck Donating Member (1000+ posts) Mon Oct-17-11 12:08 PM
    Original message
    What went wrong with the Citiback arrests (my perspective).

Edited on Mon Oct-17-11 12:13 PM by garybeck
    When I heard that a bunch of people were arrested for closing their accounts at Citibank this weekend, I thought, OMG, WTF is going on in this country??? I searched the internets and for 2 days all I could find is a short video showing some people getting arrested but no real explanation.

Today I read this article by one of the protesters:
    http://gawker.com/5850398/a-proteste...tibank-arrests

Now I get it.

Folks, this is not how to do it. These people were asking to be arrested. If they want to make a big show and tell their story, do it OUTSIDE the building, on the public sidewalk, NOT INSIDE the place of business.

If they want to make a big statement by doing this together all at the same time, just walk in as a group, get in line, walk up to the teller, and cancel your account. Or withdraw 99% of your savings.

DON'T walk into a place of business and stage a "Teach in" as the article describes. And if they ask you to stop and you don't, what do you expect? This is their place of business. If you walk in there and do anything other than conduct business with them, you're disrupting their operations, and you're just asking to be arrested.

It doesn't matter if you're walking into Starbuck's and pontificating about the price of tea in China, or holding a teach-in at Citibank. In either case you're going to get arrested if you don't stop when they ask you to.

If they were planning or hoping to get arrested from the beginning, then they did a great job. But i'm not sure it really was a great idea. If they were surprised that they were arrested and thought the bank was going to let them conduct a "teach-in" in their lobby, I think they have a screw loose somewhere.

Just my opinion, I guess.
    Eric J in MN (1000+ posts) Mon Oct-17-11 12:44 PM
    Response to Reply #8
    10. There was only one request to stop, according to that report.

...and it was from management.

The cops could have told them, if you don't leave then you'll be arrested for trespassing.

There was no police warning.

Even that woman who respected the management request to leave was dragged back in by an undercover cop.
    sewpershad Donating Member (909 posts) Mon Oct-17-11 01:33 PM
    Response to Reply #15
    17. Mr Graybeck

Why aren't the thieves <1% ers > not being manhandled and charged for bring this country down by crookery?
    garybeck Donating Member (1000+ posts) Ignore list Mon Oct-17-11 01:56 PM
    Response to Reply #17
    19. what does that have to do with this particular incident?

absolutely nothing.

my OP was about a group of people who went into a business and held a "teach-in" and didn't leave when they were asked to, and for some reason a lot of people seem to be surprised that they were arrested.

your question is completely unrelated. I agree that the people who pull the strings at the big banks should be in jail. But that has nothing to do with this.

If that's the point these people are trying to make, going to a local branch where there are 99%ers at the teller booth and holding a teach-in and not stopping when asked to, is not the right approach.

maybe they should head down to the corporate headquarters, ala Michael Moore style.

but to ask your question in this context is a little out of place.
    Sarah Ibarruri Donating Member (1000+ posts) Mon Oct-17-11 12:42 PM
    Response to Original message
    9. Here's what I don't get. Why don't banks act HONESTLY? The jerks realize that...

in popularity there right down there along with dog poop, so why don't they CLEAN UP THEIR ACT? My God, the people running banks are greedy flesh and nothing else.
    So says the "greedy" Sarah Ibarruri who many, many times on DU has made it clear that she feels entitled to whatever she wants without working for it.

Nye Bevan Donating Member (1000+ posts) Mon Oct-17-11 01:52 PM
    Response to Original message
    18. Thanks. Previous threads on this made it sound like they were waiting quietly in line,

asked politely to close their accounts, and were then arrested.

There's usually more to the story.
    Last edited by Carol; 10-17-2011 at 04:03 PM.

Huh... apparently only telling someone to get off your property doesn't mean you have they have to get off your property.

Fucking idiot.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

This is the problem with many, many people; they don't know the difference between a public place and private property. ALL businesses are private property ( someone owns them)/
    Places like rest stops are public places.

And now they want bankers arrested for just being bankers ( in other words, Capitalists).
    If you make a loan on a house, or car and stop making payment, they come and reposse them; and Moonbats think that is a crime

These are the same goofs that protested and demanded that banks and leanding houses make loans to people who couldn't ( and some times wouldn't) pay back the loans. Moonbats create the problem, and demand someone else pay for them. What a wonderful world the far Left has created for us
    CU's Paranormal Expert.

Keep your powder dry, your sword sharp and your wits intact.