Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Stolen Valor Act - Heading to the Supreme Court. 
    Locked in a Dungeon, being tortured and LOVING IT!
    http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...7b493ba00eb4e9

The Supreme Court has agreed to hear the case.

The court said Monday it will rule on the constitutionality of a law that makes it a federal crime for people to claim falsely, either in writing or aloud, that they have been awarded the Medal of Honor, a Silver Star, Purple Heart or any other military medal.

San Francisco-based 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals voted 2-1 to strike down the law. The majority said there is no evidence that lies such as the one told by Alvarez harm anybody and no compelling reason to make a crime out of them.
    Rest In Peace America
    July 4, 1776 - January 20, 2009

People lie about a lot of things. I suspect that vets here have heard stories from other vets they felt were embellished.

We do not need another law to criminalize speech. Period.
    "Our president delivered his State of the Union message to Congress. That is one of the things his contract calls for -- to tell congress the condition of the country. This message, as I say, is to Congress. The rest of the people know the condition of the country, for they live in it, but Congress has no idea what is going on in America, so the president has to tell 'em." ~ Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by Articulate_Ape View Post
    People lie about a lot of things. I suspect that vets here have heard stories from other vets they felt were embellished.

If it is bragging that is one thing, if it is used for some sort of financial gain or to receive some sort of benefit that is another, I would imagine our current fraud statutes would cover that misuse.
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

We until recently had such a person here.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    We until recently had such a person here.
    As disgusting as it is, ape really has a good point, unless it is used in some sort of fraud it may not be the best idea to criminalize it.
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

Vets embellishing stories is one thing. That however is not what this law is about. It should be criminal if you claim to have been awarded a certain medal and then use that status to either get financial gain OR influence people. By not criminalizing it, you encourage it. I can't tell you how many times I wanted to reach thru the TV at some of these so-called vets badmouthing other vets only to have it later come out they were lying intentionally to sway peoples attention.

Special forces people, especially the navy seals have to deal with this sort of crap all the time.

I disagree strongly with those who think it doesn't matter. 'Vets embellishing stories' is a long way from just plain lying about being a vet, and one decorated for valor on top of that, which is what all the cases involve. There are many benefits such as hiring preferences for vets that this law protects from plundering assholes. False personation offenses do not traditionally require a showing of personal gain to be criminal offenses, only the fact of getting others to do things they would not have done if they had not believed the actor was the person he or she claimed to be.

I for one hope the Ninth Circus gets bitchslapped.

Quote Originally Posted by MountainMan View Post
    Vets embellishing stories is one thing. That however is not what this law is about. It should be criminal if you claim to have been awarded a certain medal and then use that status to either get financial gain OR influence people. By not criminalizing it, you encourage it. I can't tell you how many times I wanted to reach thru the TV at some of these so-called vets badmouthing other vets only to have it later come out they were lying intentionally to sway peoples attention.

Special forces people, especially the navy seals have to deal with this sort of crap all the time.
    It may be pathetic, but it shouldn't be illegal. There are already laws on the books concerning fraud.

This law would be an assault on the freedoms that the military says it protects.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Smith - Wealth of Nations
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.

Quote Originally Posted by DumbAss Tanker View Post
    I disagree strongly with those who think it doesn't matter. 'Vets embellishing stories' is a long way from just plain lying about being a vet, and one decorated for valor on top of that, which is what all the cases involve. There are many benefits such as hiring preferences for vets that this law protects from plundering assholes. False personation offenses do not traditionally require a showing of personal gain to be criminal offenses, only the fact of getting others to do things they would not have done if they had not believed the actor was the person he or she claimed to be.

I for one hope the Ninth Circus gets bitchslapped.

QFT

And I will add that trying to give these fakers protection under the 1sst Amendment is the most pathetic use of "Freedom of Speech" I've ever seen. And it spits in the face of everyone who has legitimately earned those medals.
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    thing is, that many people use it as fraud when they claim they received such medals and haven't. Most will use it to get jobs or for financial gain as public speakers.
    "Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings..." Patrick Henry