Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 So I'm exiting the highway and the traffic signal is red at the end of the ramp. 
    eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    It's time for a :bounce: YAY!!!

Pacifist Patriot (1000+ posts) Mon Oct-17-11 09:11 PM
    Original message So I'm exiting the highway and the traffic signal is red at the end of the ramp.

A man who could have been anywhere from 30-50 was standing on the corner in 85 degree heat holding a sign that said, "just hungry." I rolled down my window, beckoned him over and gave him the three dollars I had on me. He smiled and said, "God bless you" and the light turned green.

I turned left under the overpass where it's two lanes headed west. The car that had been behind me on the exit ramp pulls up on my left as we stop at the next set of lights. The woman waves over at me so I rolled down my window assuming she was going to either ask for directions or ask if I'll let her over into my lane so she can take a right soon.

She started screaming, "What the hell do you think you're doing?! You realize he's just going to go get drunk or high, right? That's all we need is more bums on that corner!"

I was planning on ignoring her and rolling my window back up but then noticed the big chunky cross swinging from the rear view mirror.

I smiled sweetly and said, "What am I doing? I'm sitting here thanking Jesus I have the good fortune to have a few bucks in my wallet so I could help out one of God's children in need. What have you done in the Lord's name today?"

Okay, this was NOT my finest hour...considering I'm a non-theist. And no, I do not think all Christians behave as this woman did. Not remotely. But if she's going to advertise herself as a Christian with a public display of her faith and have the gall to lecture me against charity? I'm going to call her on it. I felt a wee bit less guilty when she squealed out of there and I saw the Catholic Radio station bumper sticker on the back of her car (a decidedly conservative station), the Choose Life license plate, and the Mario Rubio campaign sticker in the window.

Anyone surprised she was driving a Mercedes 550?

Okay, now that I've probably irritated enough people with generalizations I'll just say I'm so weary, so very very weary with respect to a lack of compassion. So yes, I'm lashing out at this one woman, but no, I'm not assuming anything about Christians in general or Mercedes drivers. Bleached blondes with bad face lifts? Yeah okay, I'll be harsh there.

I really hope the 99% movement continues to raise awareness with respect to human dignity. Thanks for humoring my rant.
    May the FORCE be with you!

Everyday this summer we had this old man, always wearing clean clothes with sandwhiches to eat, standing at an intersection outside the base gate bumming for money. He'd be there from 10 am until 5pm. His family would drop him off in the morning, and pick him up in the evening.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

demosincebirth (1000+ posts) Tue Oct-18-11 12:26 AM
    Response to Original message
    34. What ever he does with the money should not be your concern. Thats what
    Edited on Tue Oct-18-11 12:35 AM by demosincebirth
    my mother told me 50yrs ago. Besides, I cancel her out.

God bless you.
    Raine (1000+ posts) Mon Oct-17-11 09:38 PM
    Response to Original message
    21. It's none of her business what you do with YOUR money
    whether the fellow uses the money for food or for alcohol or drugs ... IT'S NONE OF HER BUSINESS ... IT'S WAS -YOUR- MONEY! One time I gave money to a panhandler and a bystander said "you know what they're going to use that money for don't you bla bla bla?" I said "well it's their money now so if they use it for alcohol, cigarettes or drugs, THEY made the choice of forgoing food." The person was outside the market so I gave them the benefit of a doubt and assumed they used it for food. Whatever ... after I gave it to them it was THEIRS.
    Too bad they don't have that attitude with everyone else.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    Everyday this summer we had this old man, always wearing clean clothes with sandwhiches to eat, standing at an intersection outside the base gate bumming for money. He'd be there from 10 am until 5pm. His family would drop him off in the morning, and pick him up in the evening.
    We have an old man in a wheelchair at the corner of US 19 and 22nd. He can walk, but the old wheelchair gives him a place to sit, and doubles as his cart for his cooler when he leaves. The cooler is full of Zephyrhills bottled water which he sells for a dollar a bottle. I'm OK with that.

That's got to be a bouncy. I can't imagine anyone in a Mercedes stopping to yell at someone for giving a homeless guy money. The driver would be too afraid of getting his/her car messed up to be looking for a confrontation in a part of town in which there are beggars.

I give money once in a while to the beggars at 8 Mile RD and I-75. Usually on Christmas, and usually less than $5. I tell them "God Bless You" when I give it to them.

I used to park cars at a hotel back when I was in college. One night as I was walking back up the street from the garge to the hotel and a bum approached me to panhandle. I aksed him how much he need to get his next bottle of wine. He knew the the penny how much he needed. It was something like $1.37. That's exactly how much I gave him and told him to have a good time.:D

When did Mercedes 550's replace the Ford F-150's for the standard racist hick-mobile in their bouncies?
    2011 CU Fantasy Baseball Champion

Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    It's time for a :bounce:
    As always, I only had to read the "So".

Quote Originally Posted by jendf View Post
    When did Mercedes 550's replace the Ford F-150's for the standard racist hick-mobile in their bouncies?
    Mercedes 550 = 1%er?

Senior Member Constitutionally Speaking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jendf View Post
    That is one of the clues that it is a bouncy. The object of hatred has switched from rednecks to Wall street "rich" types.
    I long for the days when our President actually liked our country.