Thread: World Series Thread...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    I wasn't emotionally attached to either team. I was pulling for the Rangers. That pretty much ensured a St L. victory.:(
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
    Don't know if any of you saw this....figure this would be a good place to post it.

Fan in Vegas bet Cardinals to win World Series at 999-to-1 odds

By David Brown

Back on Sept. 12, when the St. Louis Cardinals trailed the National League wild card by 4 1/2 games with 15 to play in the season, some slaphappy fan at the MGM sports book in Las Vegas put down $500 of faith in his team.

What were the odds that the Cardinals were going to come back from the brink and make something of themselves and make this dude some cash? Well, not only can we tell you the odds, but we can also tell you what the payoff is.

The sap true believer, Deadspin reports, wagered $250 at 500-to-1 odds that Team Fredbird would take the NL pennant, along with another $250 at 999-to-1 odds that the Cardinals would win the World Series.

Well, the fella (a St. Louisan, Deadspin says) is already $125,000 richer after the Cards upset the Phillies and Brewers in the NL playoffs, and he's three more St. Louis victories away from winning $250,000. Sounds great, doesn't it, cashing in on the old hometown team? But there's a downside.

Having so much money on the line must take away some of the joy he could be feeling as a fan right now. You know how people get on Monday nights when their fantasy football score is coming down to a reception from Wide Receiver "A" against the extra-point total for Placekicker "B"? It stops being fun and starts to become something else. They turn into real jerks. (I know, having turned into one myself from time to time.) This is 250 grand on the line, too, not just a reason to exclaim "I love Drew Brees."

Does the guy who bets the Kentucky Derby every year love horses? Or does he just love betting on them?

This Cardinals bettor and maybe he's a great fan otherwise has become something like a team owner. Only, he has no authority and no actual pride of ownership. Just a fleeting monetary investment. To him, the Redbirds aren't a great comeback story for the sake of being a great comeback story; they are just a deposit to his bank account. A way to pay off his car, or install an above-ground pool, or sock some away for the kids' college fund. A means to an end. And this is if the Cardinals win.

If they lose, the Cardinals will always be the guys who almost won him $375,000 (before taxes), but instead only won him $125,000. It's actually kind of sad, the loss of innocence. It's like the man says: He who gambles lives in shambles.
    I'll bet he's REALLY happy today....KA-CHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
    Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

Quote Originally Posted by Arroyo_Doble View Post
    As the only Rangers fan here (and I have been since the 70's. .... just happy to be in the playoffs), congratulations Cards. Great series and a magical year for your team.
    You're a class act. Thanks from a Cards fan. If the Cards didn't win, the Rangers would have been my next pick. They played a great, exciting series. Both teams made baseball proud.

It seems strange to not have it on now, It helped pull me through a lot of pain and have a focus. Your manager really seems to be a good manager and probably even better human.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

Quote Originally Posted by AmPat View Post
    I wasn't emotionally attached to either team. I was pulling for the Rangers. That pretty much ensured a St L. victory.:(
    Thanks, glad for your nonsupport. :D:D

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba Dawg View Post
    Congrats to the Cards!!!!!!

Since my Braves couldn't be here....:(

But anyway, Great Series! :D
    If your Braves had won one more fricken game the Cards would have never made it. Funny thing though. 3 straight years the team that knocks the Phillies out ends up world champions(Yankees, Giants, Cards).
    "Inequality is a false notion propagated by those who are made to feel guilty for what they have by those who are jealous for what they don't"-Former MTV Host Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    It seems strange to not have it on now, It helped pull me through a lot of pain and have a focus.
    They're going through series playoffs and the WS on Dish 153, MLB Network.

If anyone's interested:
    Last edited by marv; 10-30-2011 at 11:22 AM.
    http://allenbwest.com/
    http://members.socket.net/~mcruzan/images/allen-west.jpg
    Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

THIS POST WILL BE MONITORED BY THE NSA

Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    If your Braves had won one more fricken game the Cards would have never made it. Funny thing though. 3 straight years the team that knocks the Phillies out ends up world champions(Yankees, Giants, Cards).
    True Dat. I followed every one of those last twenty or so games. Amazing to fold up that way.

And my OTHER team that I follow since 1975 is the Red Sox. Great timing for both those teams.

So when the Braves faltered I rooted for the Phillies. I couldn't believe it when the Cards beat the Phils.

So then I rooted for the National League. At least something went right.
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!

Quote Originally Posted by marv View Post
    They're going through series playoffs and the WS on Dish 153, MLB Network.

If anyone's interested:
    My cutest video is the one sent by my son of the not quite 3 year old grandson watching one of the Cards game. The little cutie ran all over saying "GO CARDS" and swinging his little plastic bat. He showed it to me tonight during our weekly Skype visit. I miss the little ones so much; they're so precious to me.

"

It's 2012. Unsticky me. The Mariners pitchers and catchers reported today.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    It's 2012. Unsticky me. The Mariners pitchers and catchers reported today.
    Yeah, spring training! Let's go!
    2011 CU Fantasy Baseball Champion