Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Pretty generous call tonight wouldn't you say?
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

GO CARDS

Cards win 16-7
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

GO CARDS

Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    GO CARDS

Cards win 16-7
    I admit I was channel flipping during a lot of it but every time I switched back over to the game, Pujols was hitting another bomb.
    2011 CU Fantasy Baseball Champion

Don't know if any of you saw this....figure this would be a good place to post it.

Fan in Vegas bet Cardinals to win World Series at 999-to-1 odds

By David Brown

Back on Sept. 12, when the St. Louis Cardinals trailed the National League wild card by 4 1/2 games with 15 to play in the season, some slaphappy fan at the MGM sports book in Las Vegas put down $500 of faith in his team.

What were the odds that the Cardinals were going to come back from the brink and make something of themselves and make this dude some cash? Well, not only can we tell you the odds, but we can also tell you what the payoff is.

The sap true believer, Deadspin reports, wagered $250 at 500-to-1 odds that Team Fredbird would take the NL pennant, along with another $250 — at 999-to-1 odds — that the Cardinals would win the World Series.

Well, the fella (a St. Louisan, Deadspin says) is already $125,000 richer after the Cards upset the Phillies and Brewers in the NL playoffs, and he's three more St. Louis victories away from winning $250,000. Sounds great, doesn't it, cashing in on the old hometown team? But there's a downside.

Having so much money on the line must take away some of the joy he could be feeling as a fan right now. You know how people get on Monday nights when their fantasy football score is coming down to a reception from Wide Receiver "A" against the extra-point total for Placekicker "B"? It stops being fun and starts to become something else. They turn into real jerks. (I know, having turned into one myself from time to time.) This is 250 grand on the line, too, not just a reason to exclaim "I love Drew Brees."

Does the guy who bets the Kentucky Derby every year love horses? Or does he just love betting on them?

This Cardinals bettor — and maybe he's a great fan otherwise — has become something like a team owner. Only, he has no authority and no actual pride of ownership. Just a fleeting monetary investment. To him, the Redbirds aren't a great comeback story for the sake of being a great comeback story; they are just a deposit to his bank account. A way to pay off his car, or install an above-ground pool, or sock some away for the kids' college fund. A means to an end. And this is if the Cardinals win.

If they lose, the Cardinals will always be the guys who almost won him $375,000 (before taxes), but instead only won him $125,000. It's actually kind of sad, the loss of innocence. It's like the man says: He who gambles lives in shambles.
    LINK
    Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

I read that earlier this week. I remember thinking I would be okay if I only won $125 grand. LOL.
    2011 CU Fantasy Baseball Champion

Game number three last night? WOW! Just absolutely WOW!

http://members.socket.net/~mcruzan/images/allen-west.jpg

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

THIS POST WILL BE MONITORED BY THE NSA

I am going to proclaim right now that bar none Albert Pujols is the best hitter I've ever seen and I've seen some great hitters in my lifetime.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    I am going to proclaim right now that bar none Albert Pujols is the best hitter I've ever seen and I've seen some great hitters in my lifetime.
    Thank you. Albert is a beautiful person, as well as a greyt hitter. He helps many causes in St Louis and elsewhere. One of the nurses at the hospital was all thrilled about Pujols, said he was his hero. This guy said he loved Pujols, even though he personally was a Yankee fan.

Albert is a good guy who supports many good causes in St Louis, which I don't think is only a PR thing.

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"

GO CARDS

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    are we sure that was a Baseball score and not a Football one? holy crap!!!
    "Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings..." Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post
    are we sure that was a Baseball score and not a Football one? holy crap!!!
    Sure a different game from last night, Rangers 1, Cards 0. It's a well played game.
    Spotted Laura Bush in the stands. She sure is a pretty woman.

"

GO CARDS