Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Why many black Democrats* are uncomfortable w/Herman Cain: He embarrasses us in front 
    link

Herman Cain "embarrasses" blacks because he doesn't buy into the Democrat/liberal view of who and what a black person is.

Empowerer (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list Thu Oct-20-11 08:46 PM
    Original message
    Why many black Democrats* are uncomfortable w/Herman Cain: He embarrasses us in front of white folks

Edited on Thu Oct-20-11 09:20 PM by Empowerer
    Some people - including Herman Cain himself, plenty of Republicans and even some Democrats - are claiming that black Democrats harbor a particular animus toward Herman Cain because he is a black Republican. Wrong.

Let's be clear - it's not because he's a black Republican. We disagree with most black Republicans on many things - and often wonder how any black person and their right mind could BE a Republican. But we don't dislike most of them and certainly don't feel uncomfortable with all of them. Most of us have friends and family members who are Republican, so we aren't going around hating on black folks just because they've cast their lots in the GOP.

No, our issues with Herman Cain have little to do with his Republican Party affiliation.

Our problem with Herman Cain is that he's embarrassing us in front of white folks.

He makes us cringe. He makes us cringe in the way that, for centuries, certain black people who not only align themselves with whites who do not have our best interests in mind but offer themselves up as examples of the kind of black person that certain white folks wish we all were, the kind of black person that has as much disdain for the majority of blacks as they do, the kind of black person who falls all over himself to laugh at us, castigate us, call us names, treat us like there's something wrong with us, insist that our second-class citizenship and/or second-class treatment is OUR fault, the kind of black person who is all too willing to help white folks keep us in our place by placing HIS foot on our neck - in order to advance himself by doing the bidding of white folks like a modern day overseer on the political plantation he claims that black folks who see through him and want nothing to do with him live on. And he does all of this while grinning and entertaining and engaging in buffoonery that delights and entertains white folks and makes other blacks wish he would just go somewhere and shut up.

To use an analogy of a friend of mine - Herman Cain is the guy many of us knew in college who would go to parties and do the worm and breakdance while white people gathered around laughing and clapping. He's the guy that white folks are talking about when they ignored everything we have to say and insist that our perspective is meaningless and irrelevant because HERMAN is black and HE doesn't feel that way. He's the one they're thinking about when they say, "You seem so angry all the time. Why can't you be more like Herman?"

Herman Cain makes many, many black people cringe, not because he doesn't represent ANY viewpoint within the black community - there are many people in our community who think just like he does. He makes us cringe because, given the limited exposure to and interest in the broad range of black personalities, viewpoints, and experiences of a significant slice of the white community, we know that they will assume that he represents a larger segment of us than he does, that he is a reflection of ALL us when he is a reflection of only a tiny sliver of us.

He makes us cringe in the way that Jimmie "JJ" Walker did when he grinned and shouted "DynoMITE!" To tell the truth, we thought JJ was hilarious. We all likely knew people just like JJ - maybe even had one or more JJ's in our family. But we didn't want white folks to think we all WERE JJ. So even though we laughed our asses off whenever JJ did his schtick, we only laughed like that when white folks weren't looking. Otherwise, we often wished he'd just stop acting like that in front of white folks since they might take it the wrong way and mess up everything we were trying to accomplish - like the associate of mine who tried to get me to slap him five whenever I said anything he happened to agree with.

It would be nice if we didn't have to deal with this, if we didn't have to worry that one silly man could lead others to think that we were all like him just because he's the same skin color. But the collective judgment of an entire race is still a reality in this America. And one doesn't have to be a racist Republican - or even Republican - to impose such judgments on blacks. Just a few weeks ago right here on DU, we were treated to Democrats insisting that if Barack Obama failed as president, it would be a disaster for all black people. That is the very essence of collective racial judgment. To his credit, Barack Obama doesn't embarrass us. In fact, he makes us very, very proud - we might not deserve to feel proud of someone else just because he has the same skin color, but if we have to be blamed for black folks' foolishness, we might as well get credit for their achievements.

But I know few black people who feel proud of Herman Cain. Yes, his achievements are to be commended. But his out-dated jive-talking, shallowness, lack of preparedness, braggadocio, his strutting-and-preening-like-he's-auditioning-to-play-George-Jefferson diminish his achievements. Herman Cain is behaving, not like someone to be admired or respected. He's behaving like a silly man - even worse, he seems to take great pride in behaving like a silly BLACK man.

Black Democrats* don't have a problem with Herman Cain because he's black or Republican or both. We have a problem with him because he makes us cringe. He makes us cringe because he's embarrassing us in front of white folks whom we know still don't understand that he is not the sum total of who we are or who we should strive to be.

And let me be clear about this - people who raise these issues about Herman Cain are not engaging in racism or treating him badly because he's black. Hell, his being black is one of the only things we actually LIKE about him.

* This also applies to many black Republicans and plenty of white Democrats, as well . . .
    Yep, all that circular reasoning just to affirm that the reason they hate Herman Cain is that as a black man he ISN"T JUST LIKE THEIR IDEAL OF A BLACK MAN: someone beholden to white Democrats, who spurns education and blames Republicans for not being successful, and who is a race bating Democrat.

They hate him not because he's black, but because he's a black Republican.
    Empowerer (1000+ posts) Thu Oct-20-11 09:00 PM
    Response to Reply #2
    3. He's only considered a serious candidate BECAUSE he's black

No white person who behaved like Herman Cain would be a serious contender. They would laugh him out of the room - much as they have Perry, Palin and Bachmann.
    babylonsister Donating Member (1000+ posts) Thu Oct-20-11 09:00 PM
    Response to Original message
    4. Thanks so much for writing this. Make no mistake from me.

I never thought Cain spoke for any black person other than one (himself) who has had great luck and success in his life (even though his pizza is pretty inedible, I hear).

I'm white, he's awful in so many ways. He speaks for practically no one but himself.

And I love you, Empowerer, keep on keeping on! :fistbump:
    Last edited by Carol; 10-20-2011 at 09:43 PM.

They hate him not because he's black, but because he's a black Republican.
    It's a little more subtle than that. They see Cain as dancing attendance on white people to get special benefits from them and, in return for those favors, acting as the white power structure's attack dog. Think of the teacher's pet who ingratiates himself with the teacher by snitching on all his classmates and then gets held up as an example as in, "Why can't you all be more like Tyler?" (Didn't you hate that damned kid?)

This perspective regards all Blacks as equally powerless and all Whites as equally powerful. The fact that Colin Powell and Condi Rice are still far more powerful and influential than my best (white) friend who just lost her home because the ARM adjusted way up has not yet entered the DU world view. Powell and Rice had wide-reaching influence, and still do in many circles. Condi is an academic superstar and can pick the university of her choice to run. My (white) friend, on the other hand, is living with an elderly friend, paying rent for a room and trying to put her life back together. But according to DU, my white friend is better off because she is white, even though she doesn't have a pot to piss in. In fact, in the most abstract sense. my white friend with no money and no house is actually oppressing Powell and Rice because she is white and they are Black. THAT is the world view.

To look at someone like Herman Cain, who succeeded in school, worked for the government (anyone know if it was Nav-Air or Nav-Sea?), went into the private sector, and made a ton of money, becoming a CEO, is something that the DU crowd cannot do without twisting it into a tale of oppression. To them, Cain is still oppressed because he is black, and my white friend who lost her house is oppressing him, forcing to dance attendance on white people like some kind of Uncle Tom. The DU folk cannot see the achievement of the black middle class as a good thing because whites, rich and poor, are oppressing that black middle class. If you are "oppressed" by definition (that is being black = being oppressed) then there is no way to give the black middle class their due without accusing them of somehow betraying other blacks. In other words, Herman Cain, Condi Rice, and Colin Powell were all successful on the backs of the urban black poor, and betrayed them in the process.

Now, if you are a Black middle class liberal, like Maxine Waters or Cornell West, you can be forgiven your success by speaking the language of oppression and by not flaunting your success in front of the urban black poor, and by not intimating that the black poor can do what you did if they work hard enough. This explains how even someone as wildly successful as Oprah Winfrey can still get into the victim mentality and peddle the wares of people who promote it. Unlike Oprah, Bill Cosby has actually tried to get the black urban poor out of the victim mentality, and he gets vilified for it. People talk about Cosby's "middle class" upbringing, even though he grew up in the projects in Germantown (Northwest Philly), went to Germantown high school, and then went into the Navy (not directly to college). Cosby had a lot of odd jobs as a kid to bring in money for the family. This was no child of privilege. He went to Temple U. on track and field scholarship after 4 years in the Navy; his parents did not have the money to send him. But, DUers conveniently ignore Cosby's difficult economic background because Cosby tells Blacks to throw out the victim mentality and value education. He doesn't burn incense at the temple of victimhood, so he becomes another Uncle Tom, which is absolutely insane. Cosby is trying to raise his people up, and has certainly more of an example than Barry Obama, who really was a child of privilege.

Anyway, they don't like Cain because Cain worked hard, is not a victim, and has a sense of entitlement, which DUers see as "ill-gotten". In my opinion, Cain's story and his personality would make him a great motivational speaker. Sorry, I know you all like him for Prez, but I find him more valuable as a motivator. He cheers me up immensely for some reason, and if he had a radio show like Dave Ramsey but instead talked about career motivation, I'd listen. If he gave workshops, I'd go. He's got a great energetic delivery.

But don't tell DU that. Cain is just an collaborating betraying Uncle Tom who is rolling his bug eyes and shuffling in deference to the white man while crapping all over his black compatriots. THAT is how they see him. And that, to me, is just plain jealousy, dressed up in the language of civil rights. If you're looking for your traditional back stereotypes, look to your rappers (criminal and oversexed) and Oprah Winfrey (America's "Mammy" to white women). Cain is NOT a stereotype; he's a success story.
    Last edited by Elspeth; 10-21-2011 at 02:09 AM.

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Hmmm...

I like Cain but he isn't going to win.

Why?

I think this country still has too much "white guilt" in it.

This President still isn't up to the task. He's gotten lucky. Nothing more.
    May the FORCE be with you!

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    it's not as if Cain has a mind that he thinks with and isn't a brainwashed drone....oh wait...
    "Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings..." Patrick Henry

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    Hmmm...

Why?

If he gets the nomination, I think he will beat the O badly. However, RINO's and the established Repub big wigs will do everything to see that does not happen. They like the status quo and do not want the apple cart turned upside down.

Empowerer (1000+ posts) Thu Oct-20-11 09:00 PM
    Response to Reply #2
    3. He's only considered a serious candidate BECAUSE he's black

No white person who behaved like Barack Obama would be a serious contender. They would laugh him out of the room.
    Now it makes sense.

In other words, they don't like Cain because he is a black man and not fricking Nigerian.
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    In other words, they don't like Cain because he is a black man and not fricking Nigerian.
    He's blacker than Obama.

If Obama's performance hasn't already killed them, they don't really have a sense of shame, and this is just posturing. Which is just a nice way of calling it bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    Hmmm...

Why?

Really? Hmmmmm....

I was thinking he might because he's a simple talker (telling it like it is)...

I like Palin. She's too "folksey" for most, I understang that. Cain is not that way. He (seems to) tell us what needs to get done....
    Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.
    Ronald Reagan

We could say they are spending like drunken sailors. That would be unfair to drunken sailors, they're spending their OWN money.
    Ronald Reagan

R.I.P. Crockspot