1. #1 I don't get it...why are people supporting taking down Qaddafi but not Saddam Hussein 
    eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Gee...BUSH!

dkf (1000+ posts) Fri Oct-21-11 12:08 AM
    Original message I don't get it...why are people supporting taking down Qaddafi but not Saddam Hussein?

Or are you all for invading Iraq now? And do you want to get out of Afghanistan when the women will still be subject to abuse?

My head is spinning.
    BDS!!!!:D
    May the FORCE be with you!

I don't get it...why are people supporting taking down Qaddafi but not Saddam Hussein
    Sure you "get it." Qaddafi was a DIMoRAT target and Hussein was targeted by a Republican. The differences were clearly defined by hyper-partisan DIMoRATs and their propaganda ministers from liberal media.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

I did not support the extensive NATO intervention. At the very most, imposing a no-fly zone as a purely defensive measure was acceptable, but NATO jumped in and took the lead as the rebel's air force.

Still, the difference between Libya and Iraq is that one was an internal revolution, where the people rose up, by their own force of will, to make change happen. Iraq was foreign imposed, it was the US who decided to shape their country to our liking. There is a stark difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Smith - Wealth of Nations
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.

In Iraq our forces were fighting against Al Quaeda, in Libya our forces are fighting FOR Al Quaeda just like they are in Uganda.

I see from Wee Wee's avatar and sig line he's still butthurt from being banned for his stupidity.
    Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

Quote Originally Posted by Wei Wu Wei View Post
    I did not support the extensive NATO intervention. At the very most, imposing a no-fly zone as a purely defensive measure was acceptable, but NATO jumped in and took the lead as the rebel's air force.

Still, the difference between Libya and Iraq is that one was an internal revolution, where the people rose up, by their own force of will, to make change happen. Iraq was foreign imposed, it was the US who decided to shape their country to our liking. There is a stark difference.
    You are correct. We should have given Iraq to Qaddafi. Change leaders in one and get rid of Qaddafi at the same time for Libya.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipsycatlover View Post
    In Iraq our forces were fighting against Al Quaeda, in Libya our forces are fighting FOR Al Quaeda just like they are in Uganda.
    Excellent point. It is a little too fine for liberal analysis but a major point for thinking individuals.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

The people of Iraq very well might have risen up against Saddam if certain factors were similar. Iraqis before might have been led to mistrust support from the U.S. after they felt we abandoned the Kurds when they rose against Saddam after the first Gulf War. The Arab Spring uprising in other countries certainly emboldened Libyan revolutionaries, and I believe Saddam had a stronger hold on his country than Gaddhafi.

Um, Iraqi's did rise up against Saddam after the first Gulf War and we stayed out of it. And this is what happened:

But then again, to idiots like you, Saddam didn't have any WMD's.

Senior Member Constitutionally Speaking's Avatar
    Since Wei Wei is a fan of the PNAC conspiracy, I am SURE he is going to give Bush CREDIT for the ARAB spring.

Because according to that document, having a free Iraq would inspire freedom movements throughout the middle east.

Funny how we don' t hear about that anymore.
    I long for the days when our President actually liked our country.

Well, oddly enough, I've found that people who were for the war in Iraq are against taking out Gaddaffi. They saw it as interfering. I hate to say it, but without the WMDs being found in Iraq, the humanitarian reasoning and ending the sanctions is all that's left.