Hybrid View

1. #1 The Organizers vs. the Organized in Zuccotti Park 
    All occupiers are equal — but some occupiers are more equal than others. In wind-whipped Zuccotti Park, new divisions and hierarchies are threatening to upend Occupy Wall Street and its leaderless collective.

As the protest has grown, some of the occupiers have spontaneously taken charge on projects large and small. But many of the people in Zuccotti Park aren't taking direction well, leading to a tense Thursday of political disagreements, the occasional shouting match, and at least one fistfight.

It began, as it so often does, with a drum circle. The ten-hour groove marathons weren’t sitting well with the neighborhood’s community board, the ironically situated High School of Economics and Finance that sits on the corner of Zuccotti Park, or many of the sleep-deprived protesters.

“[The high school] couldn’t teach,” explained Josh Nelson, a 27-year-old occupier from Nebraska. “And we’ve had issues with the drummers too. They drum incessantly all day, and really loud.” Facilitators spearheaded a General Assembly proposal to limit the drumming to two hours a day. “The drumming is a major issue which has the potential to get us kicked out," said Lauren Digion, a leader on the sanitation working group.

But the drums were fun. They brought in publicity and money. Many non-facilitators were infuriated by the decision and claimed that it had been forced through the General Assembly.

“They’re imposing a structure on the natural flow of music," said Seth Harper, an 18-year-old from Georgia. “The GA decided to do it ... they suppressed people’s opinions. I wanted to do introduce a different proposal, but a big black organizer chick with an Afro said I couldn’t.”

To Shane Engelerdt, a 19-year-old from Jersey City and self-described former “head drummer,” this amounted to a Jacobinic betrayal. “They are becoming the government we’re trying to protest," he said. "They didn’t even give the drummers a say ... Drumming is the heartbeat of this movement. Look around: This is dead, you need a pulse to keep something alive.”

The drummers claim that the finance working group even levied a percussion tax of sorts, taking up to half of the $150-300 a day that the drum circle was receiving in tips. “Now they have over $500,000 from all sorts of places,” said Engelerdt. “We’re like, what’s going on here? They’re like the banks we’re protesting." ...
    http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2011/10...ter_DailyIntel

Fabulous Poster
    “They’re imposing a structure on the natural flow of music," said Seth Harper, an 18-year-old from Georgia. “The GA decided to do it ... they suppressed people’s opinions. I wanted to do introduce a different proposal, but a big black organizer chick with an Afro said I couldn’t.”

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    just proved that anarchy can not work long term...bunch of idiots
    "Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings..." Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post
    just proved that anarchy can not work long term...bunch of idiots
    What they really proved is that collectivism doesn't work, short or long term.

Finance working group? I thought these cretins hated capitalism. WTF?
    "Our president delivered his State of the Union message to Congress. That is one of the things his contract calls for -- to tell congress the condition of the country. This message, as I say, is to Congress. The rest of the people know the condition of the country, for they live in it, but Congress has no idea what is going on in America, so the president has to tell 'em." ~ Will Rogers

If they drum and bell long enough, maybe manna will fall from the heavens. There would be no need for that evil money then.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tipsycatlover View Post
    What they really proved is that collectivism doesn't work, short or long term.
    that too, but this has been much closer to their ideal of both that it just proves neither work
    "Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings..." Patrick Henry

When we finish the Narnia books, I'm going to start my daughter on Animal Farm. Orwell is the antidote to this idiocy. Observe:

The mystery of where the milk went to was soon cleared up. It was mixed
    every day into the pigs' mash. The early apples were now ripening, and the
    grass of the orchard was littered with windfalls. The animals had assumed
    as a matter of course that these would be shared out equally; one day,
    however, the order went forth that all the windfalls were to be collected
    and brought to the harness-room for the use of the pigs. At this some of
    the other animals murmured, but it was no use. All the pigs were in full
    agreement on this point, even Snowball and Napoleon. Squealer was sent to
    make the necessary explanations to the others.

"Comrades!" he cried. "You do not imagine, I hope, that we pigs are doing
    this in a spirit of selfishness and privilege? Many of us actually dislike
    milk and apples. I dislike them myself. Our sole object in taking these
    things is to preserve our health. Milk and apples (this has been proved by
    Science, comrades) contain substances absolutely necessary to the
    well-being of a pig. We pigs are brainworkers. The whole management and
    organisation of this farm depend on us. Day and night we are watching over
    your welfare. It is for YOUR sake that we drink that milk and eat those
    apples. Do you know what would happen if we pigs failed in our duty? Jones
    would come back! Yes, Jones would come back! Surely, comrades," cried
    Squealer almost pleadingly, skipping from side to side and whisking his
    tail, "surely there is no one among you who wants to see Jones come back?"

Now if there was one thing that the animals were completely certain of, it
    was that they did not want Jones back. When it was put to them in this
    light, they had no more to say. The importance of keeping the pigs in good
    health was all too obvious. So it was agreed without further argument that
    the milk and the windfall apples (and also the main crop of apples when
    they ripened) should be reserved for the pigs alone.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!