Thread: Shock!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Shock! 
    Accused Tulsa officers, their families react to mixed verdict
    At first, it was "not guilty" for various charges of conspiracy, violating civil rights and drug possession with intent to distribute.

Then came count five, in which Cpl. Harold R. Wells - a retired Tulsa police officer - was charged with knowingly carrying and possessing a firearm during and in relation to a drug-trafficking crime: Guilty.

The bad news kept coming for Wells' family and loved ones who had gathered to support him Friday evening at a federal courthouse in downtown Tulsa.

Wells was found guilty on four additional counts, including charges that he conspired to possess and distribute methamphetamine, conspired to steal money and used a telephone to commit a felony.

His fellow Tulsa police officers who were tried, Nick DeBruin and Bruce Bonham, were found not guilty on all counts.

Paul Cleary, a U.S. magistrate filling in for U.S. District Judge Bruce Black, who had left to catch a flight home to New Mexico for the weekend, had called the jury back into the courtroom late Friday afternoon only to see if they wished to recess for the weekend.

But then the verdicts came quickly and somewhat unexpectedly, and they broke the hearts of some in the courtroom.

DeBruin and Bonham appeared relieved for their own fates but visibly pained for the fate of their former colleague and his family.

Wells' wife, Ronda Wells, collapsed on the floor, sobbing. Family and friends rushed to comfort her.

"I can't even do this," she cried. "They already took him away!"

Family members were upset that they didn't get a chance to say goodbye to Wells before U.S. marshals led him out of the courtroom.

Wells' sister, Johna Rountree, erupted in the hallway outside the courtroom, outraged by her brother's conviction.

"I did not know the feds were so corrupt," she said. "(Special U.S. Attorney Jane Duke) is the worst, because she knows what's true."

The officers who testified that Wells conspired to steal drugs and money were lying, and they all got deals for immunity from prosecutors because they lied, Rountree said.

Wells "was offered a deal, too, but he said, 'I don't have anything to tell,' " Rountree said. "These guys are being punished for telling the truth."

Her husband, who declined to give his name, was also visibly angry.

"This is awful," he said. "It's beyond awful. We had no idea they could fabricate such garbage and convince a jury of something like that."

Rountree said her brother's case might have been affected by the fact that he didn't testify, whereas Bonham and DeBruin did.

But Wells was warned in advance not to testify, "because Duke was going to try to trick him" on the witness stand, Rountree said.

Wells' attorney, Warren Gotcher, declined to comment when reached by phone late Friday.

As DeBruin walked out of the courtroom immediately after the verdict, he hugged his attorney, Shannon McMurray, and told her: "I appreciate you."

She responded: "I know you do."

DeBruin answered a few questions for reporters after the verdict.

"I'm happy. I don't know what to say. What else can I say? I've gone through hell the past year with the support of only my very close friends, my attorney and my investigator. That's been it. It's been hell," he said. "This has been completely crazy. I'm finally going to get a good night's sleep."

Bonham quietly walked out of the courthouse and declined to comment.

Tulsa Police Department officials said their Internal Affairs Division will now conduct an internal investigation to determine whether the acquitted officers violated department policy and procedures.

Tulsa Police Chief Chuck Jordan called it a sad day for the police department and the city of Tulsa.

"Our credibility as a police department has been shaken due to this incident," Jordan said in a statement issued by TPD. "Four former members of our department strayed from ethical decision-making and, as a result, has eroded the public trust.

"We cannot afford to have our legitimacy as a premier police department slip away at the hands of a few."
    http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/artic...1_CUTLIN225626

I know Harold very well, In the early 90s he and another police officer with my help and the help of others started a church in Tulsa. I spent many hours with him visiting sick and working in a prison counciling program he helped me start.
    He was one of the finest ministers I have ever heard as well as a kind gentile man and good father.
    He talked often with me about his work as an undercover narcotics officer and was proud to be a police officer.
    I lost track of him about 15 years ago when the church folded over problems with finding a new building to worship in.
    This is devastating, I don't know how this can possibly be!
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

If it's true that he was set up, then I can think of no bigger crime.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillygirl View Post
    If it's true that he was set up, then I can think of no bigger crime.
    If you knew this man you would know why I'm in utter disbelief. I had no idea this case surrounded him for the last year, I heard little blurbs on the news and never paid any attention until my wife heard it today and told me. I was just on the phone with a friend of mine from the Tulsa PD who also knew him well until my friends retirement in 2005, his shock and disbelief are as great as mine. He said he was sure he would be acquitted.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    If you knew this man you would know why I'm in utter disbelief. I had no idea this case surrounded him for the last year, I heard little blurbs on the news and never paid any attention until my wife heard it today and told me. I was just on the phone with a friend of mine from the Tulsa PD who also knew him well until my friends retirement in 2005, his shock and disbelief are as great as mine. He said he was sure he would be acquitted.
    I figured you must know him pretty well to have responded in that way. As I said, if he's telling the truth, then those that have framed him should get pretty severe sentences if it ever comes out.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillygirl View Post
    I figured you must know him pretty well to have responded in that way. As I said, if he's telling the truth, then those that have framed him should get pretty severe sentences if it ever comes out.
    I'm sure there will be an appeal, there was a time when I looked up to this man more than any other and I still have very fond memories. I don't believe he could do this for one minute.

I kinda know how you feel Rock, I had a friend of mine (Officer Mark Atkins PPD) killed in the line of duty. The shock of his death was overwhelming. At least your friend gets an appeal...:o
    Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.
    Ronald Reagan

We could say they are spending like drunken sailors. That would be unfair to drunken sailors, they're spending their OWN money.
    Ronald Reagan

R.I.P. Crockspot

I'm jumping into this kinda late. I first found out about this just over a month ago. I'm currently in Afghanistan and somewhat detached from the news back home.

Like Rockntractor, I too am in disbelief. Harold was the single most influential man God used in my spiritual developement. He invested countless hours iinto my life, looked out for my best interests, even gave me shelter when I was homeless. I was there when Sovereign Grace began and learned of its dissolvement when I came back from Bosnia.

My heart grieves for him and especially for Ronda, probably one of the most precious women I've ever known.

Quote Originally Posted by Witmaster View Post
    I'm jumping into this kinda late. I first found out about this just over a month ago. I'm currently in Afghanistan and somewhat detached from the news back home.

Like Rockntractor, I too am in disbelief. Harold was the single most influential man God used in my spiritual developement. He invested countless hours iinto my life, looked out for my best interests, even gave me shelter when I was homeless. I was there when Sovereign Grace began and learned of its dissolvement when I came back from Bosnia.

My heart grieves for him and especially for Ronda, probably one of the most precious women I've ever known.
    There is something missing from the story, something terribly wrong, obviously you knew him as well as I did.

It's wonderful hearing from you Witmaster and a big welcome to CU, I know who you are and sent you a PM.
    It is amazing you stumbled on to us and found the story.

Thanks! Yea, Ever since I found out I've been searching for more information/updates. Stumbled across your forum and this thread.

It was good to find a familiar face here.