1. #1 L.I. Couple Seeks Trademark For "Occupy Wall St." 
    Citing the potential of “Occupy Wall Street” to become a “global brand,” a Long Island couple has filed to trademark the name of the amorphous organization responsible for the protests and encampments in lower Manhattan and other U.S. cities, The Smoking Gun has learned.

In a U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) application, Robert and Diane Maresca are seeking to trademark the phrase “Occupy Wall St.” so that they can place it on a wide variety of goods, including bumper stickers, shirts, beach bags, footwear, umbrellas, and hobo bags.

The October 18 filing, made in Diane Maresca’s name, cost the couple $975, which Robert Maresca, 44, termed “something of a gamble” in a TSG interview.

Maresca, pictured at right, lives with his wife, an occupational therapist, and three children in West Islip. He refers to himself as a “relatively conservative person” who is pro-union and best categorized as a political independent. A former union ironworker, Maresca said that he has been disabled by a stroke and seizures.

Asked if his move to stake a legal claim to “Occupy Wall Street” might be seen as a crass attempt to cash in on a movement that has a harsh view of corporations and capitalism, Maresca answered, “No.” Noting that he has a “practical business side,” Maresca added that, “If I didn’t buy it and use it someone else will.” ...
    http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documen...ademark-986531

This is absolutely BRILLIANT!!!

Congratulations Rhode Island. You just graduated to the 1%.

Asked if his move to stake a legal claim to “Occupy Wall Street” might be seen as a crass attempt to cash in on a movement that has a harsh view of corporations and capitalism, Maresca answered, “No.” Noting that he has a “practical business side,” Maresca added that, “If I didn’t buy it and use it someone else will.” ...
    I admire his business savy but I'm calling Bullshit on not wanting to cash in on the movement. I think it's brilliant!!

I'm sure the guy running a hot-dog stand on the corner of Wall St. and Nassau has no interest in "cashing in" either.;)

I foresee some problems for the little vulture on matters of 'First placed in commerce' and exclusivity.