Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Walmart Cuts Employee Health Care Benefits 
    “The current health care system is unsustainable for everyone. At Walmart we’ve made choices we have not wanted to make, like many employers in the country,” Greg Rossiter, Walmart spokesman, told ABC News.

The most popular plan for employees for “quality coverage” will cost $15 per pay period, every other week, an increase of $4 per pay period from last year, Rossiter said.

More

I wish I could have "quality coverage" for only $7.50 a week.

I already hear head explosions at DU!

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by RobJohnson View Post
    More

I wish I could have "quality coverage" for only $7.50 a week.

I already hear head explosions at DU!
    So do Walmart employees (hourly).

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    So do Walmart employees (hourly).
    They do, in fact, they have been paying less then that.

Read the article, then comment.

Fabulous Poster

I read the article, it's the definition of "quality coverage" which I question. The other articles I found when looking around suggest that Walmart's medical plan for hourly employees ranges from worthless to ruinous in the event of a catastrophic illness. Moreover, any policy could be virtually worthless if you don't have long term disability coverage as well. What would be the point of having comprehensive (notice that he did not use that term) health insurance, if you are going to be COBRA after the first six weeks of a long term illness?

Health & Wellness Benefits
    •Consumer-directed health plans including Health Reimbursement Accounts (HRA) plans and a High-deductible plan with an Health Savings Account (HSA). Plans include:
    ◦No lifetime maximum
    ◦100% coverage for eligible preventive care when you use a network provider
    ◦Coverage for dependents up to age 26
    ◦No pre-existing condition limits for anyone under age 19
    ◦80% coverage for eligible network services after you meet your total annual deductible
    ◦$4 co-pay on more than 2,000 eligible generic drugs
    ◦Ask Mayo Clinic Nurse Line - speak to a registered nurse 24/7
    ◦Life with Baby Maternity Program - your own personal support network before, during and after pregnancy
    ◦Quit Tobacco program
    •Dental Insurance
    •Resources For Living® -- confidential counseling and health information service free to all associates 24/7
    •Company-paid life insurance
    •Optional and dependent life insurance
    •Accidental death & dismemberment insurance (AD&D)
    •Critical illness and accident insurance
    •Short- and long-term disability insurance
    •Business Travel Accident Insurance
    •Illness protection (sick time)
    •Associate Eyewear Program
    Financial Benefits
    •Matching contributions to your 401(k) up to 6%
    •Associate Stock Purchase Plan with a company match of 15% up to the first $1,800 purchased each Plan year
    •Associate Discount Card for Walmart associates, spouses and dependents for 10% discount on regular priced general merchandise and fresh produce purchased at a Walmart store.
    •Sam’s Club memberships for Sam’s Club associates
    •Discounts travel, entertainment and more
    •Retirement account rollover
    •Military differential pay
    •Paid time-off including: holidays, vacation, personal, bereavement and jury duty
    http://walmartstores.com/careers/7750.aspx

You are right...the benefits suck.....:bounce::bounce:

I'd actually be interested in knowing the details of their health insurance program for their hourly employees. If it's that good and that cheap, then I'd take a job there just for the benefits. But I do wonder about the details as I worked full-time for a large retailer and there insurance wasn't very good. It was basically a catastrophic insurance plan that didn't cover the regular costs like annual doctor visits, medicines and typical lab work and tests.
    Tracee - I'm in between jobs and looking for a good short term health insurance plan. Anyone use HCC or other companies?

Why the heck wasn't I offered that coverage when I worked there?

We only qualified for coverage in which the deductible was so ridiculously high that we might as well buy our own. I decided I preferred to do that too if I could afford it. No way was Wal-Mart ever going to get the credit.

But nevermind that. Why are my former co-workers being knocked down to 26 hours a week and still declared to be part time?

I don't think Wal-Mart is the most unethical place in the world like a lot of libs do, but they're not the most ethical either.

Okay, I looked at the article to see what company offers coverage at 15.00 every two weeks because if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. I'm betting this coverage doesn't cover much if anything. It might actually be Starbridge "Insurance." It's "insurance" offered in a lot of retail settings. Some people find that it's great. Some people find that even if they go within the network of doctors, it covers little to nothing.

Fabulous Poster
    “The coverage we are offering hasn’t changed,” he said. “What’s changed is costs. Health-care costs are rising for everyone. Our country needs to find the way to reduce the cost of health care particularly in this economy. The current health-care system is unsustainable for everyone. Like other businesses, we’ve had to make some tough choices.”

Call me silly, but it sure sounds like this big old Republican corporation is talking about throwing its weight behind single payer healthcare. And why shouldn't they?

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    “The coverage we are offering hasn’t changed,” he said. “What’s changed is costs. Health-care costs are rising for everyone. Our country needs to find the way to reduce the cost of health care particularly in this economy. The current health-care system is unsustainable for everyone. Like other businesses, we’ve had to make some tough choices.”

Call me silly, but it sure sounds like this big old Republican corporation is talking about throwing its weight behind single payer healthcare. And why shouldn't they?
    Or:
    They could be affirming what all the smart people have been saying about O Blah Blah Care while the DUmb@$$ DimoRATS were shoving it down our throats. That is: O Blah Blah care will end up funneling everybody into it's system. Then, it will raise the cost, lower the availability of care and doctors, then lower the level of quality. Ultimately, it will mean shortages and choices made for us by the same stupid bureaucrats that forced this crap on us in the first place.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand