Thread: Walmart Cuts Employee Health Care Benefits

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    I read the article, it's the definition of "quality coverage" which I question. The other articles I found when looking around suggest that Walmart's medical plan for hourly employees ranges from worthless to ruinous in the event of a catastrophic illness. Moreover, any policy could be virtually worthless if you don't have long term disability coverage as well. What would be the point of having comprehensive (notice that he did not use that term) health insurance, if you are going to be COBRA after the first six weeks of a long term illness?
    I wouldn’t read to much into the Wal-Mart hate club articles. My father has been a walmart hrly employee for about 10 years now. Last year he was diagnosed with prostate cancer. His doc said get surgery and so a week later my father got the surgery. THe total cost for the surgery was around $50,000. The wal mart insurance plan paid about $ 43,000. I remember my father saying that he has to pay around 8 grand out of pocket (which hes doing). BTW my father is perfectly healthy now.

Bottom line, Walmart health plan has been pretty good. THe only problem they are having now is that cost are going up because of future Obama care mandates. So its becoming more expensive for walmart to provide half way decent coverage for part time hrly employees.

Quote Originally Posted by AmPat View Post
    Or:
    ... Ultimately, it will mean shortages and choices made for us by the same stupid bureaucrats that forced this crap on us in the first place.
    Yes. And how convenient that they exempt themselves from the same coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by wannaberocker View Post
    ... So its becoming more expensive for walmart to provide half way decent coverage for part time hrly employees.
    Yup. Me hubby works for a bank (about 10 years now) and our coverage is going thru the roof now as far as the co-pay goes. We have to opt for the higher and higher co-pays just to be able to afford it now. 5 years ago my co pay for an MRI was about $50. Now its $485. 0bamacare -- here we come!
    http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd445/JansGraphix/ConsUndergrd-Sig2.jpg
    Liberalism is just communism sold by the drink.

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    yes it's so bad that between it and medicare my Grandfather has been able to fight cancer and deal with his other illnesses while he is dying...and get short and long term disability
    "Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings..." Patrick Henry

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Janice View Post
    5 years ago my co pay for an MRI was about $50. Now its $485. 0bamacare -- here we come!
    20 years ago at Johns Hopkins my co-pay for MRI was $300 (20% of $1500) with United Healthcare (actually Met Life at the time I think) PPO most fabulous insurance through a major oil company. Now, in an HMO it's ZIP. Obamacare -- here we come!

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by wannaberocker View Post
    I wouldn’t read to much into the Wal-Mart hate club articles. My father has been a walmart hrly employee for about 10 years now. Last year he was diagnosed with prostate cancer. His doc said get surgery and so a week later my father got the surgery. THe total cost for the surgery was around $50,000. The wal mart insurance plan paid about $ 43,000. I remember my father saying that he has to pay around 8 grand out of pocket (which hes doing). BTW my father is perfectly healthy now.

Bottom line, Walmart health plan has been pretty good. THe only problem they are having now is that cost are going up because of future Obama care mandates. So its becoming more expensive for walmart to provide half way decent coverage for part time hrly employees.
    $8,000 out of pocket is huge to any hourly employee at Walmart, even those at the top of the scale. It would be akin to a store manager having a co-pay of about $40,000.

I'm not saying that it's not better than nothing, but for most hourly workers an $8,000 co-pay is something they won't be able to pay off.

Slightly Off Topic: I had a hospital put me in collections once because they screwed up billing the insurance company and didn't bill in a timely manner, so the insurance company completely denied the claim, which was their right to do. The hospital tried to come after me, which was not their right to do under their contract with my insurance company. This is why I NEVER sign away the farm in an hospital admission, ie the part which says that if your insurance company doesn't pay... blah blah you agree to be responsible. You can't possibly be responsible for a blank check to a hospital. I always sign it (because the intake clerks aren't trained to deal with refuzniks) " subject to PPO agreement, Lord Novaheart".

Quote Originally Posted by RobJohnson View Post
    More

I wish I could have "quality coverage" for only $7.50 a week.

I already hear head explosions at DU!
    This is nothing. In 3 years, I'll be paying over $200 per pay period for my health coverage.
    "Inequality is a false notion propagated by those who are made to feel guilty for what they have by those who are jealous for what they don't"-Former MTV Host Kennedy

No, the Libertards are right. Walmart sucks and the following is MUCH better:
    Hat tip, Carol
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcBaSP31Be8
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    This is nothing. In 3 years, I'll be paying over $200 per pay period for my health coverage.
    So in three years, you'll be paying the same for family coverage as your average major bank employee does now, and $25 more than I was paying for crappy BCBS single elf employed policy in the 1980's.

So in three years, you'll be paying the same for family coverage as your average major bank employee does now, and $25 more than I was paying for crappy BCBS single elf employed policy in the 1980's.
    Hmmm Elf employed, we have a wee Leprechaun here!
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

$8,000 out of pocket is huge to any hourly employee at Walmart, even those at the top of the scale. It would be akin to a store manager having a co-pay of about $40,000.

I'm not saying that it's not better than nothing, but for most hourly workers an $8,000 co-pay is something they won't be able to pay off.

Slightly Off Topic: I had a hospital put me in collections once because they screwed up billing the insurance company and didn't bill in a timely manner, so the insurance company completely denied the claim, which was their right to do. The hospital tried to come after me, which was not their right to do under their contract with my insurance company. This is why I NEVER sign away the farm in an hospital admission, ie the part which says that if your insurance company doesn't pay... blah blah you agree to be responsible. You can't possibly be responsible for a blank check to a hospital. I always sign it (because the intake clerks aren't trained to deal with refuzniks) " subject to PPO agreement, Lord Novaheart".
    $8,000 is a big amount for an hrly employee. Yet, they dont ask that you pay it all at once. My father is on some plan and he pays a lil bit each month.

My father dosnt mind paying of his debt.