Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25
  1. #1 For Cripes Sake! Isn't there an Original Movie idea left? 
    Senior Member Molon Labe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Jihad Me At Hello
    Posts
    4,771
    What in the heck makes people have to remake every friggin' good movie ever made. I will not be surprised to hear that someone will be trying to tap into the Star Wars Episode IV remake.

    They're remaking Spiderman less than a decade after the original....Now they're remaking after the failed remake of Superman franchise.

    And now this.

    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1386703/

    Total Recall 2012.

    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound - Unknown


    The problem is Empty People, Not Loaded Guns - Linda Schrock Taylor
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    950
    There are no safe new ideas. And fewer yet that won't offend the liberals and still make money.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    Zoomie djones520's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    10,079
    Pretty sure this was all covered in here about a month ago. :p
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

    In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    Senior Member Arroyo_Doble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Ft Worth
    Posts
    3,788
    The original fucked up Philip K. Dick's story to begin with.


    Oh, and no. Original ideas don't have a ready market for safe investment.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    Power CUer noonwitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Warren, MI
    Posts
    12,863
    Quote Originally Posted by Arroyo_Doble View Post
    The original fucked up Philip K. Dick's story to begin with.


    Oh, and no. Original ideas don't have a ready market for safe investment.

    I loved the original-it's not Oscar material, but it is fun.

    My favorite line:

    "Consider this a divorce".
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    Senior Member Molon Labe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Jihad Me At Hello
    Posts
    4,771
    Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    Pretty sure this was all covered in here about a month ago. :p
    didn't see that one.

    You know they're remaking

    Barbarella, The Black Hole, and Popeye too. :mad:
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound - Unknown


    The problem is Empty People, Not Loaded Guns - Linda Schrock Taylor
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    Senior Member Arroyo_Doble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Ft Worth
    Posts
    3,788
    Quote Originally Posted by Molon Labe View Post
    didn't see that one.

    You know they're remaking

    Barbarella, The Black Hole, and Popeye too. :mad:
    One of my favorite pieces of dialog in the movies.

    The Tax Man: You just docked?
    Popeye: I has.
    The Tax Man: Ah ha, let's see here, that'll be 25˘ docking tax.
    Popeye: What for?
    The Tax Man: Where's your sea craft?
    Popeye: It ain't no sea craft, it's me dinghy and it's under the wharf.
    The Tax Man: Ah ha. ahh-ha. This your goods?
    Popeye: They is.
    The Tax Man: Yeah. You're new in town right?
    Popeye: If you call this a town, yes.
    The Tax Man: Well, first of all, there's 17˘ new-in-town tax, and there's 45˘ rowboat-under-the-wharf tax, and one dollar leaving-your-junk-lying-around-the-wharf tax, so all together, you owe the Commodore $1.87.
    Popeye: Uh, who's this Commodore?
    The Tax Man: Is that the nature of question? There's a nickel question tax.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #8  
    Senior Member Molon Labe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Jihad Me At Hello
    Posts
    4,771
    Quote Originally Posted by Arroyo_Doble View Post
    One of my favorite pieces of dialog in the movies.

    The Tax Man: You just docked?
    Popeye: I has.
    The Tax Man: Ah ha, let's see here, that'll be 25˘ docking tax.
    Popeye: What for?
    The Tax Man: Where's your sea craft?
    Popeye: It ain't no sea craft, it's me dinghy and it's under the wharf.
    The Tax Man: Ah ha. ahh-ha. This your goods?
    Popeye: They is.
    The Tax Man: Yeah. You're new in town right?
    Popeye: If you call this a town, yes.
    The Tax Man: Well, first of all, there's 17˘ new-in-town tax, and there's 45˘ rowboat-under-the-wharf tax, and one dollar leaving-your-junk-lying-around-the-wharf tax, so all together, you owe the Commodore $1.87.
    Popeye: Uh, who's this Commodore?
    The Tax Man: Is that the nature of question? There's a nickel question tax.
    underrated classic movie. I think it flopped at the box office.
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound - Unknown


    The problem is Empty People, Not Loaded Guns - Linda Schrock Taylor
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #9  
    Senior Ape Articulate_Ape's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    NJ, Exit Only
    Posts
    7,977
    Quote Originally Posted by Molon Labe View Post
    underrated classic movie. I think it flopped at the box office.
    It did flop at the box office, because it's impossible to underrate that movie.
    "The efforts of the government alone will never be enough. In the end the people must choose and the people must help themselves" ~ JFK; from his famous inauguration speech (What Democrats sounded like before today's neo-Liberals hijacked that party)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #10  
    Resident Grandpa marv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Shell Knob, MO
    Posts
    3,035
    Quote Originally Posted by Tipsycatlover View Post
    There are no safe new ideas. And fewer yet that won't offend the liberals and still make money.
    Shakespeare learned that lesson early on. When there are only seven basic plots to work on, it comes down to things like acting, directing, setting, dialogue, etc., to make the difference. I've never seen a sequel that was better than the original. I never expect to see one.

    A word about jazzing sequels and remakes up; from the thirties until CGI, artists and clamation experts would make figures/characters do reasonable things while looking fake. CGI comes along and makes figures/characters do very unreasonable things while looking real.

    A good example of spoiling an original is The Thing, 1951 original, 1982 remake, 2011 remake.....

    http://members.socket.net/~mcruzan/images/allen-west.jpg

    Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

    THIS POST WILL BE MONITORED BY THE NSA
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •