Thread: What's an independent to do?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 What's an independent to do? 
    There's no R on my voter registration card. The republicans have ticked me off over the years as much as the dems have, mainly by NOT sticking to the ideals they flaunt during election seasons. So I'm watching the primary process, liking some folks more than others, but knowing that I have no say in the decision about who will be running against Obama. Last time we got stuck with McCain, this time we may get another wishy-washy, "safe" and "electable" candidate. I don't want electable, I want someone with the backbone to get into DC and fix what's broken. Do I bite my tongue and change my registration, or are there other options?

Arizona evidently used to have an open primary process, but they changed the name of the election to a "Presidential Preference Election" that only lets party members vote.
    Romans 6:18 You have been set free from sin and have become slaves to righteousness.

Differences between Obama and God: God's plan to save us is actually written down for people to read. Rush Limbaugh.

My blog: How Things Look From Here Politics, religion, random stuff, now on Wednesdays!

I'm considering changing my registration to Republican this year as well. I don't think it matters, as long as your still looking for your ideal candidate.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by enslaved1 View Post
    There's no R on my voter registration card. The republicans have ticked me off over the years as much as the dems have, mainly by NOT sticking to the ideals they flaunt during election seasons. So I'm watching the primary process, liking some folks more than others, but knowing that I have no say in the decision about who will be running against Obama. Last time we got stuck with McCain, this time we may get another wishy-washy, "safe" and "electable" candidate. I don't want electable, I want someone with the backbone to get into DC and fix what's broken. Do I bite my tongue and change my registration, or are there other options?

Arizona evidently used to have an open primary process, but they changed the name of the election to a "Presidential Preference Election" that only lets party members vote.
    Same here, I think I will bite the bullet and re-register as a Republican. Cain is a good man and it will take a lot of votes to override the liberal republican machine.
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

Power CUer
    I'm glad my state has no party registration - Democrat, Republican or IndependEnt. That makes us all Independent.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    I'm glad my state has no party registration - Democrat, Republican or IndependEnt. That makes us all Independent.
    In primaries I feel closed elections are better. Prevents things like what happened in Michigan in 2010 when all the Dem's voted for a blue Republican in the primary. Granted, I think Snyder is doing alright, but I still feel Hoekstra would have done better.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    In primaries I feel closed elections are better. Prevents things like what happened in Michigan in 2010 when all the Dem's voted for a blue Republican in the primary. Granted, I think Snyder is doing alright, but I still feel Hoekstra would have done better.
    Synder's gotten a lot done, probably more than Hoekstra would have at this point, and I'd rather have him in the Senate anyway (kicking Levin's ass out of office would be fantastic).

I wouldn't mind a closed primary system, neither WI or MI have them, and they would go a long way from keeping what happened in 08 with McCain from happening again.
    "Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings..." Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by enslaved1 View Post

You sound solidly republican. Register as a Republican and vote for Cain.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Smith - Wealth of Nations
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.

Quote Originally Posted by Wei Wu Wei View Post
    You sound solidly republican. Register as a Republican and vote for Cain.
    You could write in Michael Moore!
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    By the time the primary is run in Georgia the national ticket is pretty much decided.

I register according to who I want to win in the local races for county office. In this county I haven't seen many liberals in either party.
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!

Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post
    Synder's gotten a lot done, probably more than Hoekstra would have at this point, and I'd rather have him in the Senate anyway (kicking Levin's ass out of office would be fantastic).

I wouldn't mind a closed primary system, neither WI or MI have them, and they would go a long way from keeping what happened in 08 with McCain from happening again.

I keep telling you guys, Hoekstra is not running for Levin's seat in 2014, he is running for Stabenow's seat in 2012.

Plus, if he did run in 2014, he probably wouldn't be running against Levin, because rumor has it that Carl is going to retire at the end of this term. So, some other democrat will be running for that spot. If the Michigan dems are smart about it, they will run someone like Mark Hackel (former Macomb CO sheriff and current County Executive) for the spot. He is very popular in a split county.