Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Adult Babies (Mark Steyn) 
    Last Thursday was officially “Diaper Need Awareness Day” in the State of Connecticut. Were you aware of it? There are so many awareness-raising days, it’s hard to keep track. Maybe we could have an Awareness-Raising Day Awareness Day. At any rate, the first annual Diaper Need Awareness Day was proclaimed by Dan Malloy, governor of the Nutmeg State, and they had a big old awareness-raising get-together in New Haven. It’s not clear yet whether they’ve got an official ribbon. We’re running a bit low on ribbon colors these days: It’s not just pink ribbons for breast cancer, but also teal for agoraphobia, periwinkle for acid reflux, pink-and-blue ribbons for amniotic fluid embolisms, and pinstripe ribbons for amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. We could use a Ribbon-Hue Awareness Day to raise awareness about how we’re falling behind in the race for more ribbon colors.

If you’re wondering what sentient being isn’t aware of diapers, you’re missing the point: Connecticut representative Rosa DeLauro is raising awareness of the need for diapers in order to, as Politico reported, “push the Federal Government to provide free diapers to poor families.” Congresswoman DeLauro has introduced the DIAPER Act — that’s to say, the Diaper Investment and Aid to Promote Economic Recovery Act. So don’t worry, it’s not welfare, it’s “stimulus.” As Fox News put it, “A U.S. congresswoman in Connecticut wants to boost the economy by offering free diapers to low-income families.” And, given that sinking bazillions of dollars into green-jobs schemes to build eco-cars in Finland and a federal program to buy guns for Mexican drug cartels and all the other fascinating innovations of the Obama administration haven’t worked, who’s to say borrowing money from the Chinese politburo and sticking it in your kid’s diaper isn’t the kind of outside-the-box thinking that will do the trick?

In fact, the federal government already provides free diapers for at least one lucky American. Stanley Thornton Jr. of California receives Supplementary Security Income disability checks from the Social Security Administration in order to sit around the house all day wearing a giant diaper and a giant onesie, sucking on a giant pacifier and playing with a giant baby rattle. Stanley Jr. runs a website for fellow “adult babies” called BedWettingABDL.com. I believe I first heard of the “adult baby” phenomenon some years ago in London. If memory serves, there was a club, and the members lay around in giant cribs being read bedtime stories by a bosomy nanny. Minor celebrities and possibly backbench Tory members of Parliament may have been involved. In those days, it was what we called a “fetish” and you had to do it on your own dime. Now it’s a “disability” and the United States government picks up the tab. And, if that’s not progress, what is?...
    Read the rest here

I love Mark Steyn. :D

Sounds about right. Cradle to the grave and what not. Ugh.

Fabulous Poster
    I already have to dodge a used diaper occasionally in the Walmart. I say, "No More Disposable Diapers!" If you want to have a kid you have to accept the laundry that does with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    I already have to dodge a used diaper occasionally in the Walmart. I say, "No More Disposable Diapers!" If you want to have a kid you have to accept the laundry that does with it.
    As a parent, I say get bent. Why should your "convenience" have higher priority then mine?
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    As a parent, I say get bent. Why should your "convenience" have higher priority then mine?
    QFT

No way in HELL would I have used anything but disposable diapers with my kids, unless they were deathly allergic to them
    "Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings..." Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post
    QFT

No way in HELL would I have used anything but disposable diapers with my kids, unless they were deathly allergic to them
    My wife is dead set on using clothe with our second. I told her to have fun.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    My wife is dead set on using clothe with our second. I told her to have fun.
    I have forgotten how old you are. Did your mom use disposables? If so, I can understand that you will never know the joy of a nice soft diaper, warm from the drier, on your freshly washed and powdered bottom. And you want to wrap your baby in a recycled phonebook? Shame on you.

I keed, I keed

When my son was born there was only cloth. How ever did he survive?

I have forgotten how old you are. Did your mom use disposables? If so, I can understand that you will never know the joy of a nice soft diaper, warm from the drier, on your freshly washed and powdered bottom. And you want to wrap your baby in a recycled phonebook? Shame on you.
    Disposables where just becoming popular when I was born. To this day my mother still swears they were a gift from above. I'm inclined to agree.

I keed, I keed
    Ok ok we know you like guys bottoms but do you have to keep brining them up in such a fashion?