Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 LA struggles to cope with possessions of homeless 
    The sidewalk is public property, but the possessions are hers and her neighbors, setting up a conflict between the homeless and a city trying to bring order where chaos reigns.
    Story at link>http://www.ajc.com/news/nation-world...e-1212664.html
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

Fabulous Poster
    It's emotionally frustrating for me. On the one hand, I feel bad to begrudge the homeless the very space they take up. On the other hand, if one group of people are allowed to in essence convert public space into private space then why couldn't everyone else do the same?

Hell, I called the police last night because some people had closed 30th Avenue for one block for a party. Yes, it was jut a party, perhaps even a child's birthday party, but somehow in fifty some years of birthdays, I have never needed to close the street for my birthday or that of a child. It was rude and inconsiderate, and the worst part was that they had a permit.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    It's emotionally frustrating for me. On the one hand, I feel bad to begrudge the homeless the very space they take up. On the other hand, if one group of people are allowed to in essence convert public space into private space then why couldn't everyone else do the same?

Hell, I called the police last night because some people had closed 30th Avenue for one block for a party. Yes, it was jut a party, perhaps even a child's birthday party, but somehow in fifty some years of birthdays, I have never needed to close the street for my birthday or that of a child. It was rude and inconsiderate, and the worst part was that they had a permit.
    I left the article with the feeling that these poor people are sick and need to be cared for in institutions.
    Turning mentally ill people out on the street to fend for themselves and calling it their right , is disgusting and should not be done by civilized people.
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    I left the article with the feeling that these poor people are sick and need to be cared for in institutions.
    Turning mentally ill people out on the street to fend for themselves and calling it their right , is disgusting and should not be done by civilized people.
    We used to pay social workers to decide who was on the street by a rational choice, and who was on the street because they were not capable of making a good decision. I can't imagine why people went to court to stop that, but I have to assume that there was some compelling reason for them to do so. It just hasn't worked out all that well. There has to be a working solution.

But even if most of these people aren't acutely mentally ill, few of them are actually employable. People say "Get a job." but I don't know if these folks could even be pickers. Picking is physically demanding. No one would hire them to work in a store, they are too damaged. If you put them in residence halls, then someone has to clean up after them, and they tend to prey on one another.

About the only thing certain is that street life can't be the best solution.

A couple of years ago, there was a homeless guy with lots of stuff living under one of the ramps from the Lodge Freeway to I-75. It was not a spot easily accessed by pedestrians. One day, all his stuff was gone. I always wondered what happened to him.

I pass a couple of guys every day on Mt. Elliot, who are always hanging out with plastic bags filled with their possessions. They hang out at an abandoned KFC/Taco Bell near the abandoned Packard factory (which is slowly collapsing). It's still not cold enough for them to go to the shelter, where all their stuff gets stolen.

So, you called the cops on people who weren't breaking the law, just because they inconvenienced you and were doing something that your parents hadn't done when you were a kid? And that's assuming that it was a child's party, rather than a block party or some other function. But, let's say that it was a child's party: Are you that jealous of someone else's parental affection that you feel the need to attack them, even when they have gone to the trouble of satisfying the legal requirements to have their party?

That's amazingly petty.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    So, you called the cops on people who weren't breaking the law, just because they inconvenienced you and were doing something that your parents hadn't done when you were a kid?
    No, I called the police because a group of people who are routinely inconsiderate had actually barricaded the street that evening rather than simply milling about in the street and "visiting" with their friends. It was only after calling the police that I knew that they had a permit. The city should not have issued a permit to close a collector roadway, half of which is not in St Petersburg.

And that's assuming that it was a child's party, rather than a block party or some other function. .
    I only assumed it was a child's birthday party because of the Bouncy Castle, the house was decorated for Halloween. The music they were playing (Which could be heard from my mother's house a block away) was neither children's music nor was it Halloween music, it was simply the noise we are treated to on a regular basis by the residents of the house in question.

But, let's say that it was a child's party: Are you that jealous of someone else's parental affection that you feel the need to attack them .........
    Your skills at logic are only matched by your skills in psychology.

No, I called the police because a group of people who are routinely inconsiderate had actually barricaded the street that evening rather than simply milling about in the street and "visiting" with their friends. It was only after calling the police that I knew that they had a permit. The city should not have issued a permit to close a collector roadway, half of which is not in St Petersburg.
    Ah, now we have routinely inconsiderate, rather than just "some people." How would anyone here know that without you telling us? And without you telling us that it was a collector roadway we'd have had some difficulty figuring that out, too. And, of course, even if it is a collector road, it was still the weekend, but I guess that you know more about urban planning than the local PD.

I only assumed it was a child's birthday party because of the Bouncy Castle, the house was decorated for Halloween. The music they were playing (Which could be heard from my mother's house a block away) was neither children's music nor was it Halloween music, it was simply the noise we are treated to on a regular basis by the residents of the house in question.
    So, it was a Halloween party? On the weekend before Halloween? And they got a permit to subject you to noise? The nerve of some people!

Your skills at logic are only matched by your skills in psychology.
    Considering that you expect me to be able to read your mind about your past with these neighbors, the configuration of the local roads and all manner of back story, you obviously hold my psychology skills in some esteem.
    --Odysseus

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Fabulous Poster
    Considering that you expect me to be able to read your mind about your past with these neighbors, the configuration of the local roads and all manner of back story, you obviously hold my psychology skills in some esteem.
    Well, you could have simply allowed that I didn't call the police for no reason. I am a neighborhood watch of one, not Gladys Kravitz.

A collector road is more than a higher traffic road for commuters around here. We don't have a lot of commuting around here. A collector roadway is the road that has fewer stop signs, is usually wider than adjacent streets, and is used by everyone including emergency vehicles to get into and out of neighborhoods, and near a house on a narrow residential street. Our collector roads are about every fifth avenue, every tenth street.

Well, you could have simply allowed that I didn't call the police for no reason. I am a neighborhood watch of one, not Gladys Kravitz.
    I'm sure that Gladys Kravitz thought the same thing. I'm also sure that Abner Kravitz wouldn't have bought your assumption either.

A collector road is more than a higher traffic road for commuters around here. We don't have a lot of commuting around here. A collector roadway is the road that has fewer stop signs, is usually wider than adjacent streets, and is used by everyone including emergency vehicles to get into and out of neighborhoods, and near a house on a narrow residential street. Our collector roads are about every fifth avenue, every tenth street.
    So it's not like they don't have alternate routes, and on a weekend, the traffic managers, who might have a better idea of traffic flow than you do, might have thought that the risk of disaster was remote enough to grant the permit. I'm sure that the next time, they will ensure that you are consulted before they issue any permits or make any other decisions, no matter how large or small.
    --Odysseus