Thread: Iraq Vet Marine Critically Injured by Police at Occupy Oakland

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Iraq Vet Marine Critically Injured by Police at Occupy Oakland 
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZLyUK0t0vQ

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8366081

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?se...rld&id=8407169

http://www.businessinsider.com/this-...rotest-2011-10

Scott Olsen, a former Marine and veteran of Iraq was injured during an Occupy Oakland protest. Witnesses say he was struck in the head by a "police projectile".

Other protesters rushed to assist Olsen when they saw him laying motionless and bleeding on the ground, but as they gathered around him, the police threw a flash grenade into the group, scattering them.

He has suffered a fractured skull and his brain is swelling, and is in critical condition.

Scott Olsen survived two tours of Iraq, but his life could be over after being critically injured by a police projectile at Occupy Oakland, The Guardian reports. He's 24 years old.
    According to Keith Shannon, a friend who served with Olsen during his time in Iraq, Olsen was hit in the head with a tear gas or smoke canister, and he has the scar on his head to prove it.

Meanwhile, Oakland police admit that they used tear gas and baton rounds, but have denied the use of flash bang grenades. Protesters, however, say they saw police use them, and the more video that comes out, the harder it is to believe the police.
    "I'm just absolutely devastated that someone who did two tours of Iraq and came home safely is now lying in a US hospital because of the domestic police force," Carpenter said.
    Guy said also it wasn't immediately clear whether Olsen, a network administrator in Daly City, would need surgery.

"It's still too early to tell," Guy said. "We're hoping for the best."

Curt Olsen, a spokesman for Highland Hospital in Oakland, confirmed that the veteran was in critical condition but could not release any more information.
    Olsen, who completed his service last year, participated in the protest in Oakland because he felt corporations and banks have too much influence on the government, Guy said.

A vigil for him is scheduled to be held Wednesday evening near the Oakland City Hall, she said.

"It's terrible to go over to Iraq twice and come back injured, and then get injured by the police that are supposed to be protecting us," he said.

Shannon said Olsen was hit in the head by a tear gas canister or smoke canister shot by a police officer. He said Olsen had a curved scar on his forehead consistent with a canister
    updates are still coming

:(
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Smith - Wealth of Nations
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.

Why not find a video that shows the police offering repeated warnings for a long time before they fire the gas cans.

Oh... cause if you did then it wouldn't like like brutal police cracking down on peaceful fleeing protestors.
    Last edited by djones520; 10-26-2011 at 09:18 PM.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Locked in a Dungeon, being tortured and LOVING IT!
    Let me counter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieeNvciXULM

Man threating "War" on police. And he's serious, be sending other vids to Paramount about errors in Startrek DS9

http://www.youtube.com/user/pokesomi#p/u/10/9EvmK7wUiPE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEUycHFQmC0

"Peaceful Protesters" throwing objects at the police.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygN6ycg9Zxs

Where officers were surrounded and attacked.

At a late-night news conference, the city’s acting police chief, Howard Jordan, said officers needed to use tear gas after protesters threw rocks and bottles at them…

…The police denied firing flash grenades or rubber bullets at protesters. “The loud noises that were heard originated from M-80 explosives thrown at Police by protesters,” the police said in a statement. “In addition, Police fired approximately four bean bag rounds at protesters to stop them from throwing dangerous objects at the officers.”
    Rest In Peace America
    July 4, 1776 - January 20, 2009

Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    Why not find a video that shows the police offering repeated warnings for a long time before they fire the gas cans.
    There was indeed a warning that people may be arrested for not dispersing a few minutes before the tear gas and flash bangs started flying.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7r2ETi5C1A
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.

Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    Let me counter.
    A counter to what? This guy is seriously injured, and it is sad. I don't now if he personally was doing anything violent, or if he was merely exercising his right to assembly.

Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    "Peaceful Protesters" throwing objects at the police.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygN6ycg9Zxs

Where officers were surrounded and attacked.
    I didn't see any objects being thrown at police but maybe it's just because it's far away. I'll take your word for it for the sake of discussion, because I absolutely do think that some protesters are going too far in their resistance.

That is not cool, and if they want to exercise their power, they shouldn't be using violence against the police. If they want to break the law and assert their will, they should do it peacefully. They should sit down, and accept being arrested if that's what the police want to do. If the police decide to attack them, they need to turn the other cheek.

I think today's movements are missing a major religious element that made previous movements successful. The civil rights movement was led by religious leaders, which provided a strong ethical backbone to the protests, and fostered a sense of moral high ground, which gave people the strength to withstand attacks without fighting back.

I hope the protesters are able to summon this kind of strength, instead of lashing out and making things worse.

Regardless of all of that though, my heart is with Scott Olsen, I hope he survives this without any permanent injuries :(

I had to do a little digging on Scott Olsen. And if I did it right, then lets see what this guy believes in.

1. He is a out spoken member of IVFP. (Iraq Vets For Peace).

2. Owns a web site called iHateTheUSMC.com

Some of his better postings.

You think we are unsat? What about all the married SNCO’s and NCO’s who go out on deployment sticking their worthless dicks into anything wearing a skirt? To you that’s ok right? Or the highers who care nothing for the welfare and the lives of their marines, only how hard they can work them to improve their career prospects. I guess you think that’s ok too in your eyes, right? All the corruption, backstabbing and immorality being done by active duty marines and you focus on the guys on a website venting their anger. That is unsat. How about you fix the problem instead of punishing rogues you spawned through years of maltreatment? Just because we signed a contract guaranteeing you 4 years, that doesn’t give you a green light to abuse and overwork us for your own gain. The festering cesspool of corruption and idiocy that is the MC does not rely on competence, intelligence or skill. It relies on people with limited horizons, a fear of getting out and facing the real world, and above all, blind obedience to any idiotic order. When I was in and my friends would ask me what exactly I did in the MC, I would say “I slavishly obey the insane commands of a baboon.” The MC is like a scientist who makes one great discovery and rides on that discovery for the rest of their career, accomplishing nothing else but always citing the glory days of old. The new MC has no resemblance to the old MC that accomplished many great things, yet the highers and boots alike constantly cite the old glories in which they played no part. The MC also is very similar to Hitler’s SS. In the SS, an order was always right, and they were trained to obey orders without thinking. It’s similar not just because of the blind obedience, but also because of the propaganda. Hitler’s SS heavily relied on propaganda images the media portrayed of them. Disciplined, well groomed, professional, someone to look up to and consider a role model. Yet history revealed the reality. The MC relies on the media in a similar fashion. All the images you see on TV glorify the MC. Plus, they closely monitor everyone, like the Gestapo. When people praise and rant on about the good things, they love it, but when a site like this comes to their attention, they move with expediency to crush the opposition. When the truth, or at least bad press comes out, they go into a conniption. We are made to look like moral people with the utmost professionalism, yet I have personally seen NCO’s and SNCO’s cheat on their wives, steal, abuse drugs and other things. Always Faithful my butt. Does that motto not extend to one’s personal life? Does cheating on one’s wife not violate Always Faithful? The real MC motto should be “Look out for number one.” The totalitarian like state in which the MC operates is very reminiscent of Hitler’s third Reich. To the MC, there is no higher honor than sucking your commander’s cock, swallowing his man gravy then following his senseless and often insane orders without giving it any cognitive thought. I spent four years as a janitor. That is the greatest qualification a marine can claim. The mind numbing stupidity of those in charge, the games and all else drive some to suicide. Only in a dysfunctional organization would the idea of mass punishments be glorified and frequently used. When my friends asked me if I was going to re-up, I would say something like “hell no, I would rather suck the jizzm out of a dead faggot’s rancid, decomposing butthole. One thing I will never comprehend is why do some SNCO’s hold shave inspections and cammie inspections before combat operations? For God’s sake, some of the men you are inspecting may not survive, and you are harassing them with something so mundane? I had better stop, because I could write a manifesto on the problems with the MC. I must say this: the problem is NOT the MC itself. The organization cannot do stupid things. What makes us hate the MC is the SNCO’s and officers who make our lives hell for their own benefit or amusement. I will end with this: To all who have served, thank you for serving, and congrats on getting out. To those still in, your EAS will one day come. It seems like it won’t, and you begin to think that time is looping on itself causing you to stay in longer, but don’t worry. When you EAS, you get back your soul, the water is more refreshing, the food tastes better, your bed is softer, the air is sweeter, and life is worth living again.
    Yea... I'll side with the cop here.
    Rest In Peace America

Does his having opinions you disagree with take away from his service in Iraq? Does someone's service not count if they come out of it disagreeing with their mission or their organization?

Different people will have different opinions about these questions.

Anyway, http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy-a...iw=939&bih=491

I couldn't find anything on google about scott olsen's ownership of that site or authorship of that post. You might be right, I don't have all the facts, but can you point me towards the right direction of your sources?

Quote Originally Posted by Wei Wu Wei View Post
    I couldn't find anything on google about scott olsen's ownership of that site or authorship of that post. You might be right, I don't have all the facts, but can you point me towards the right direction of your sources?
    I did, thou like I said "If I did it right" which also means I could have f'ed it up. Thou what I found says he's tied to that site some how, ether in forming it or some thing.

I love the sites I use to look stuff up like this. Like where our server is and who its through.

Rest In Peace America

Quote Originally Posted by Wei Wu Wei View Post
    I didn't see any objects being thrown at police but maybe it's just because it's far away.
    I watched the video and caught at least 6 objects thrown at the police by protestors:

At 0:33 and 0:38 from the right of the video.
    At 0:36, 0:38 and 0:45 from the bottom of the video.
    At 0:54 from the top of the video and land between the 2 parked cars.
    Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf