Thread: Republican Delegate Selection Process

Hybrid View

1. #1 Republican Delegate Selection Process 
    WASHINGTON – The Republican National Committee (RNC) approved the Temporary Delegate Selection Committee’s proposed amendment to Rule No. 15(b) amending the 2012 presidential nominating process.

Republican National Committee Chairman Michael Steele praised the adoption of the new amendment. “The decision by more than two-thirds of the Committee will put our presidential nominating process on the right track and ensure that we emerge from the primaries with the strongest Republican nominee possible to defeat Barack Obama,” said Chairman Steele.

Revised Rule No. 15(b) as Amended by the Temporary Delegate Selection Committee Proposal

Rule No. 15: Election, Selection, Allocation, or Binding of Delegates and Alternate Delegates

(b) Timing.

(1) No primary, caucus, or convention to elect, select, allocate, or bind delegates to the national convention shall occur prior to the first Tuesday in March in the year in which a national convention is held. Except Iowa, New Hampshire, South Carolina, and Nevada may begin their processes at any time on or after February 1 in the year in which a national convention is held and shall not be subject to the provisions of paragraph (b)(2) of this rule.

(2) Any presidential primary, caucus, convention, or other meeting held for the purpose of selecting delegates to the national convention which occurs prior to the first day of April in the year in which the national convention is held, shall provide for the allocation of delegates on a proportional basis.

(3) If the Democratic National Committee fails to adhere to a presidential primary schedule with the dates set forth in Rule 15(b)(1) of these Rules (February 1 and first Tuesday in March), then Rule 15(b) shall revert to the Rules as adopted by the 2008 Republican National Convention
    The link
    If I am reading this correctly, assuming the Democratic Party accepts the Republican Party's schedule, all states who hold their primaries or caucuses prior to April 1st, 2012 must distribute their delegates proportionally.

The current schedule (subject to change):

January 3, 2012 Iowa (caucus)

January 10, 2012 New Hampshire (primary)

January 21, 2012 South Carolina (primary)

January 31, 2012 Florida (primary)

February 4, 2012 Nevada (caucus)

February 4–11, 2012 Maine (caucus)

February 7, 2012 Colorado (caucus)
    Minnesota (caucus)

February 28, 2012 Arizona (primary)
    Michigan (primary)

March 3, 2012 Washington (caucus)

March 6, 2012
    (Super Tuesday) Alaska (caucus)
    Georgia (primary)
    Idaho (caucus)
    Massachusetts (primary)
    North Dakota (caucus)
    Oklahoma (primary)
    Tennessee (primary)
    Texas (primary)
    Vermont (primary)
    Virginia (primary)

March 6-10, 2012 Wyoming (caucus)

March 10, 2012 Kansas (caucus)
    U.S. Virgin Islands (caucus)

March 13, 2012 Alabama (primary)
    Hawaii (caucus)
    Mississippi (primary)

March 17, 2012 Missouri (caucus)

March 20, 2012 Illinois (primary)

March 24, 2012 Louisiana (primary)

April 3, 2012 Maryland (primary)
    Washington, D.C. (primary)
    Wisconsin (primary)

April 24, 2012 Connecticut (primary)
    Delaware (primary)
    New York (primary)
    Pennsylvania (primary)
    Rhode Island (primary)

May 8, 2012 Indiana (primary)
    North Carolina (primary)
    West Virginia (primary)

May 15, 2012 Nebraska (primary)
    Oregon (primary)

May 22, 2012 Arkansas (primary)
    Kentucky (primary)

June 5, 2012 California (primary)
    Montana (primary)
    New Jersey (primary)
    New Mexico (primary)
    South Dakota (primary)

June 12, 2012 Ohio (primary)

June 26, 2012 Utah (primary)

The link

That's the way I read it; hold your primary or caucus before April 1, and you assign delegates proportionally. Proportional assignment has been the rule all along in some states, especially if no candidate gets 50% of the vote.

I suppose I like this arrangement,but that's because I'm a Cain supporter and his greatest challenge comes from a man from the northeast where there are more delegates. Seems like more states will have more input with the new rules.

On the other hand, the Republicans need someone with a strong following in the northeast. That's where Obama was very strong, while McCain took the mid section of the country.

LOL! I don't think I have ever been so twitchy about an election! Just downright nervous.

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck View Post
    That's the way I read it; hold your primary or caucus before April 1, and you assign delegates proportionally. Proportional assignment has been the rule all along in some states, especially if no candidate gets 50% of the vote.

I suppose I like this arrangement,but that's because I'm a Cain supporter and his greatest challenge comes from a man from the northeast where there are more delegates. Seems like more states will have more input with the new rules.

On the other hand, the Republicans need someone with a strong following in the northeast. That's where Obama was very strong, while McCain took the mid section of the country.

LOL! I don't think I have ever been so twitchy about an election! Just downright nervous.
    I would have to run the numbers but there are alot of delegates up for grabs prior to April 1st (Massachusetts and Texas being important states this cycle for obvious reasons).