Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Obama: God backs jobs plan 
    By Stephen Collinson | AFP – 37 mins ago
    President Barack Obama Wednesday said even God wanted to put Americans back to work, invoking divine blessing for his joust with Republicans over measures designed to slice into high unemployment.
    Obama also taunted his foes with historic arguments in favor of repairing vital infrastructure once made by conservative icon Ronald Reagan, as he stumped for a $60 billion infrastructure bill being taken up by the Senate.
    The president rebuked the House of Representatives for passing a bill reaffirming the US motto "In God We Trust" rather than getting to work on his stalled $447 billion jobs program.
    "That's not putting people back to work. I trust in God, but God wants to see us help ourselves by putting people back to work," the president said.
    Obama's spokesman Jay Carney denied that Obama had perhaps gone too far by dragging the Almighty into a fierce political spat.
    "I believe that the phrase from the Bible is 'the Lord helps those who help themselves,'" Carney said.
    "I think the point the president is making is that, you know, we have it within our capacity to do the things to help the American people."
    Lose IQ points by reading the rest>http://news.yahoo.com/obama-presses-...151914720.html
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    Carney's a moron

The phrase "God helps those who help themselves" is a popular motto which emphasizes the importance of self-initiative.

The phrase originated in ancient Greece, occurring as the moral to one of Aesop's Fables, and later in the great tragedy authors of ancient Greek drama. It has been commonly attributed to Benjamin Franklin, however the modern English wording appears earlier in Algernon Sidney's work.

It is mistaken by many to be a Bible quote, however the phrase does not occur in the Bible. Some Christians have criticized it as being against the Bible's message of God's grace.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_hel...elp_themselves
    "Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings..." Patrick Henry

I trust in God, but God wants to see us .................
    He is now God's emissary, speaking on His behalf?

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck View Post
    He is now God's emissary, speaking on His behalf?
    They will have to put another recliner at His right hand.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

I agree that God wants us to help ourselves.

I agree that Obama shouldn't use God.

You know what? I see Republicans use God all of the time, and yet there's no objection to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post

You know what? I see Republicans use God all of the time, and yet there's no objection to it.
    Proof?
    Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.
    Ronald Reagan

We could say they are spending like drunken sailors. That would be unfair to drunken sailors, they're spending their OWN money.
    Ronald Reagan

R.I.P. Crockspot

Having a leader who claims to be the voice of God on earth is perhaps the most dangerous thing a nation can do. We may as well go all in and get Ahmadinejad over here. Same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post

We used to joke about that when I was in Young Life. It does go to show how illiterate the average american is about not just the Bible, but classic literature in general. One of my friends was arguing with her husband once about whether the verse "there is no new thing under the sun" was from the Bible or from Shakespeare (her argument), and called me up to settle the argument.

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    I agree that God wants us to help ourselves.

I agree that Obama shouldn't use God.

that Quote is NOT part of the Christian philosophy and should not be attributed to it. It came directly from Greek humanistic philosophy. It goes against the Biblical teachings of Grace through faith, not works.
    "Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings..." Patrick Henry

Obamahammed, Messenger of God.

I'll bet he made sure there wasn't a dark cloud in sight when he laid that one on them.