1. #1 Kindle gets a libary 
    Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    http://www.klewtv.com/news/tech/133298538.html

Amazon introduces lending library for Kindles

By PETER SVENSSON AP Technology Writer
    NEW YORK (AP) - Amazon.com Inc. said Thursday that it is starting a lending library for Kindle owners, letting them borrow one electronic book per month.

Borrowers have to subscribe to Amazon's Prime service, which provides free two-day shipping and streaming movies for $79 per year.

Amazon says the library has more than 5,000 books, including current bestsellers such as Suzanne Collins' "The Hunger Games" trilogy.

The six biggest publishers - Random House, HarperColllins, Penguin, MacMillan, Simon & Schuster and Hachette - aren't participating. The "Big Six" have fought with Amazon over whether the publisher or Amazon gets to set the retail price of books.

Amazon says it's paying the participating publishers for the right to lend books, usually for a fixed fee. In some cases, it's paying the wholesale price every time a book is checked out.

The books can't be read on phones, PCs or tablet computers, even though there are Kindle apps for these devices. That restriction is reminiscent of Amazon's strategy of a few years ago, when the company restricted purchased books to being read on Kindles to drive sales of the e-reader devices.

"With this launch, we expect three immediate results: Kindle owners will read even more, publisher revenues will grow, and authors will see larger royalty checks," Russ Grandinetti, vice president of Kindle content, said in a statement.

Kindle users recently got access to electronic books from public libraries as well. Those can be read in the Kindle apps.
    This is very awesome. I just wish they would add EPUB support, would make life a lot easier.
    "Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings..." Patrick Henry

$79??? And you can't use it on Kindle Apps?

I'll pass.

Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post
    .......This is very awesome. I just wish they would add EPUB support, would make life a lot easier..........
    It's going to take a little time, but competition will make them straighten it out...maybe. I had the same type of problem with Ipod, who wanted me to buy music from itunes exclusively.

Everyone wants your business all to themselves.:mad:

Quote Originally Posted by RobJohnson View Post
    $79??? And you can't use it on Kindle Apps?

I'll pass.
    if you are a student, you can get Amazon Prime for free
    "Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings..." Patrick Henry

I like this idea. There are many books I only want to read once and would love to have the option of paying a reduced price for the privilege.

I would try to check the e-book out from the libary first or share it with another Kindle user.

Quote Originally Posted by RobJohnson View Post
    I would try to check the e-book out from the libary first or share it with another Kindle user.
    just make sure it's not in .EPUB format

79 with one book per month is not really any savings.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    79 with one book per month is not really any savings.
    That is what I was thinking...plus what if something happens and you are not able to finish the book?

The online streaming of shows and movies might sell me on it!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...cId=1000739811