1. #1 Recognize signs of pain in your pets 
    http://www.everydayhealth.com/pet-he...Aging_20111107

Recognizing and Treating Pain in Your Pet
    If your pet's in pain, you may not even hear a peep out of him — so how do you know when he needs your help?

By Elizabeth Mason Woods for WebVet

Treating pain in your dog or cat can be difficult, because while people are "painfully'' aware when they are in pain, animals are much more stoic. Therefore, it's oftentimes difficult to know when animals are actually suffering or in pain. Most importantly, they can't open their mouths and say, "Hey mom, I'm in pain over here. Can you help me?''

Thus, pain management has become an important issue in veterinary medicine. Organizations such as the University of Tennessee College of Veterinary Medicine Center for the Management of Animal Pain, the Colorado State University College of Veterinary Medicine, the Humane Society of the United States, and the Companion Animal Pain Management Consortium are all committed to studying pain and pain management in animals. Studies have shown that by helping your pet avoid pain, you may be able to speed the recovery process, whether from surgery or injury. Best of all, because it reduces stress and increases a sense of well-being, pain management may even help your beloved pet live longer.

Signs Your Pet Is in Pain
    When humans feel pain, they complain. However, when it comes to our pets, we rarely hear a peep out of them. So if they can't tell us, how do we know when our pets are in pain?

Pay attention. While your pet can't talk, they oftentimes send us signals that indicate they are suffering from some type of acute or chronic pain.
    • Unusually quiet, listless, restless, or unresponsive
    • Whining, whimpering, howling, or constantly meowing
    • Biting, either itself or those around it
    • Constantly licking a particular part of the body
    • Demonstrating uncharacteristic behavior (e.g. overly aggressive or submissive)
    • Flattening the ears against the head
    • Having trouble sleeping or eating
    • Appearing excessively needy; seeking a lot more affection than usual
    How You Can Help Your Pet
    If you suspect your pet is in pain, contact your veterinarian immediately. He or she will perform a complete medical evaluation to help you assess the cause of the pain and potential solutions.
    As with any medical condition, your veterinarian is your best ally in identifying and managing your pet's pain. Pain management requires a team effort, but the end result can be a happier and healthier companion.

Last Updated: 08/01/2009
    Poor Xena is in a lot of pain and has been panting at night. Thank God we finally had her pain meds delivered, had a prescription from the vet. It just took us longer than we thought for delivery. Since neither of us can drive right now, had to depend on ordering it on one of those vet web sites. Xena hurt her leg and is only walking on 3 legs, poor baby.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

Good info & I hope Xena quickly heals!

Good article.

Nicholson, our Shih Tzu, had back surgery a few years ago (he has since departed and is doggie heaven) and there were some problems. We took him back because he was shivering, and the vet told us that that is sign of pain when it is accompanied by a reluctance to move around.

We've found shivering a fairly good indicator of pain in our dogs. But Morgan just bites everyone when he hurts. Everyone get bitten, but he never breaks the skin, and he apologizes with a licking session afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by RobJohnson View Post
    Good info & I hope Xena quickly heals!
    Sadly Xena doesn't seem to be getting better. A couple of days ago I thought that she was walking better, but it probably was wishful thinking. It's frightening us, as she seems to be losing a lot of muscle mass in her rear and much smaller, similar to Blue before we lost him in April.

Today Darlene was really loving on Xena. Our neighbor was there and said that she had never seen two dogs be so sweet to each other. Darlene and Xena are really good little pals.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"