Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

1. #1 Another Question For Our Resident Libs 
    I'm putting it in the OWS forum because it is related to what these idiots want. So here is the question:

OK, some of the demands from these dopes are that they want free healthcare, free education, free housing etc. My question is a simple one; if you agree with these demands do you honestly believe that these things would be a) really free and b) if you're at least smart enough to know that nothing is free, how do you intend to pay for it? Reality is, you can seize every bit of wealth from the so called 1% and you still won't have enough to fund every piece of idiocy these people want. Not even for a year let alone forever. So, how do you intend on funding these programs?
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Pixie Dust & Al Franken Farts...***Poof***

:D
    May the FORCE be with you!

They have already made an #OWS Food Pyramid

I want the rich to pay for everything and anything, right down to my new shoes.

Kidding.

Free education should be a given (at least on up to high school graduation and maybe some tech training). How else will people become successful? You know, I could honestly meet conservatives *in the middle* if the most vocal and active ones would make an effort. But no, you want *everything.*. I'd be willing to compromise on healthcare and other issues if your side didn't want a winner takes all situation so badly. And no, that doesn't make OWS justified, although I do tend to think the ideology of both OWS and Tea Party are both extreme. They just both go too far.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post

Kidding.

Free education should be a given (at least on up to high school graduation and maybe some tech training). How else will people become successful? You know, I could honestly meet conservatives *in the middle* if the most vocal and active ones would make an effort. But no, you want *everything.*. I'd be willing to compromise on healthcare and other issues if your side didn't want a winner takes all situation so badly. And no, that doesn't make OWS justified, although I do tend to think the ideology of both OWS and Tea Party are both extreme. They just both go too far.

WE DONT WANT TO GIVE YOU SCUM ANYTHING, cause if we give an inch now next year it'll be a little more and a little more etc till you have what you want.

Kidding.

Once again Lanie, you, not surprisingly, don't get it. NOTHING IS FREE!!!! Public education is not free. In fact, a majority of my overblown property tax)NJ has the highest property tax rate in the country) goes for education. An education system that I have zero state in meaning I don't have a child in the public school system and yet 70% of my tax bill goes toward the school system. In fact, even if I send my child to private or Catholic school or home school, I still have a chunk of my tax bill that does for the public school system on top of whatever tuition I pay for private or parochial school. But the point is, somewhere along the line, these things cost money and since your ilk don't want to pay a cent, that leaves people like me footing the bill.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Power CUer
    Nothing is free.

But some things are investments:

1. Infrastructure
    2. Education
    3. Health

Now, how these things should be handled is something else. I do believe there is a role for government in setting up infrastructure that serves all and education that serves all. I have a big problem with the government in health care and a big problem with the existence of insurance. I would like to see insurance for catastrophic illnesses (cancer, etc.) only, and have routine medical care on a cash-only basis on a sliding scale. I can also see public funding of more clinics, especially in poorly served areas. I can see medical schools offering free education to future doctors who would work in such clinics and poor areas. What I don't want is the beast with two backs that is Obamacare.

What I think is completely WORTHLESS is the continuous subsidization of illegal aliens, corporations, and the able-bodied citizen. California is dying because of the illegal alien millstone around our necks. The nation is dying because huge corporations like GE actually get billions in tax REFUNDS while the rest of us pay through the nose. To me, GE and illegal aliens are in the same smelly boat and they both need to be unloaded.

Here is how corporate subsidizing works.

A couple of years ago, Los Angeles decided to put a city surtax on all new cars sold in the city. It was supposed to reduce the deficit and put 1,000 cops on the street. It was a tax on those rich enough to afford to buy a new car.

The car dealers left. Los Angeles Lexus became Lexus of Beverly Hills. Ford moved to Culver City and GM hiked down to the South Bay.

The loss in revenue was estimated to be 95 million dollars a year. Antonio Villagairosa announce a complete repeal of that tax to entice car dealerships back into the city.

Tired of corporate welfare, Los Angeles county stopped incentives for film companies to film in the county. No more expedited permits at reduced rates. No more corporate welfare, so the companies pretty much moved to Canada. How much money do you think the county lost? How high do you think the unemployment rate is?

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Tipsycatlover View Post
    Here is how corporate subsidizing works.

A couple of years ago, Los Angeles decided to put a city surtax on all new cars sold in the city. It was supposed to reduce the deficit and put 1,000 cops on the street. It was a tax on those rich enough to afford to buy a new car.

The car dealers left. Los Angeles Lexus became Lexus of Beverly Hills. Ford moved to Culver City and GM hiked down to the South Bay.

The loss in revenue was estimated to be 95 million dollars a year. Antonio Villagairosa announce a complete repeal of that tax to entice car dealerships back into the city.

Tired of corporate welfare, Los Angeles county stopped incentives for film companies to film in the county. No more expedited permits at reduced rates. No more corporate welfare, so the companies pretty much moved to Canada. How much money do you think the county lost? How high do you think the unemployment rate is?

Villarogosa--or as us locals call him, Tony Villar (Ragosa was his ex-wife's name)---is a piece of work. No one likes him here. He's an absentee mayor who once claimed to have filled a million potholes in LA! A million. Even a lib like Bill Maher took a jab, complaining that he can't get his car through all the potholes.

To your larger point, a new city surtax was a stupid idea, especially when there were lots of localities close by without the tax. Eventually, explicit taxes like that drive small businesses (and that's what these dealerships are) out of the cities and into the suburbs. Ask Philadelphia what happened when their various and sundry taxes became so high; the answer is "King of Prussia", a suburban area of corporate centers.

Small businesses need to be helped and given tax breaks. But these businesses that run on their own energy and the hard work of their owners and workers, are very different from huge multinational corporations which have a ton of representation in Washington and get tax breaks that small businesses could never dream of. Washington is giant whorehouse and it's pay to play. But paying a little gets you millions, or in the case of GE, billions. Legal "kickbacks" that come from padding defense expenditures, legal tax loopholes that insure that my 5-figure ass pays more in taxes that GE, and legal maneuvres on Wall Street that allow someone like Mitt Romney to buy good companies, strip them for parts, and fire their thousands of workers. (And Mitt still calls himself a businessman. He's a butcher, not a businessman, and my guess is that he couldn't grow a business with a million dollars and a team of pros helping him.)

The rules are different for small and big business. Villaragosa can't tap into big business, so he goes after the small businesses that make the city economically vibrant. The Fed does the same thing, taxing small businesses to the hilt while dumping taxpayer money into the coffers of the big multinationals and their international shareholders. I would never start a business in LA where Villaragosa could tax it. However, if I were a huge multinational, the boys upstairs would have Villaragosa waive every little tax for me and even provide me with taxes from Angelinos.

Free education should be a given (at least on up to high school graduation and maybe some tech training). How else will people become successful?
    What is your definition of free?!? Leftist hacks that want a paycheck for teaching nothing? OWS should show you that nothing but ideaology is destructive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanie
    You know, I could honestly meet conservatives *in the middle* if the most vocal and active ones would make an effort. But no, you want *everything.*. I'd be willing to compromise on healthcare and other issues if your side didn't want a winner takes all situation so badly. And no, that doesn't make OWS justified, although I do tend to think the ideology of both OWS and Tea Party are both extreme. They just both go too far.
    THe Tea Party is hardly "extreme", unless you consider the values of this country EXTREME....

Do you even have any idea as to how much "our" government has intruded into our daily lives?

(and NO I'm not blaming everything on Zero..... It goes way farther back, on BOTH sides)
    Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.
    Ronald Reagan

We could say they are spending like drunken sailors. That would be unfair to drunken sailors, they're spending their OWN money.
    Ronald Reagan

R.I.P. Crockspot