1. #1 Russian Mars Probe Likely Heading Back 
    I'm not normally a vindictive or petty person. Really. I try to give everyone a little benefit of doubt and space of their own.
    But it wasn't very long ago that I made some pretty snide remarks about the Rooskies rockets blowing up and conjecturing what it would be like the first time they light one of our own astronauts. I thought it was a pretty safe remark. Not too many Rooskies reside here.
    I was right about the number of Rooskies signed up at Conservative Forum, but wrong about it being a safe remark. I was attacked by....well, someone...and set straight about who had the best space program. Wasn't the U.S. I was informed. Rooskies started it all, and still lead, he said.

He's wrong.

The Rooskies would have trouble putting the great great great grandson of Mutnick up these days. They're in deep poo-poo. But they have a solution.

Their going to put the higher-ups in jail. That oughta work.
    Scientists grew excited last week as Russia's planned its first interplanetary mission in 15 years. By now, the ambitious mission should be powering through space, toward the Martian moon Phobos.

Instead, Russia's space agency spent Friday discussing uncontrolled reentry scenarios.

Authorities may be looking for someone to blame after a lengthy string of mission failures. According to an Interfax bulletin, an anonymous source indicated that this may force reform in the Russian space agency, Roscosmos, and "a number of positions of responsible persons" could face jail time.

As if that news weren't bad enough, this could be an uncontrolled toxic reentry scenario.

Phobos-Grunt -- correctly written "Fobos-Grunt," meaning "Phobos-Soil" or "Phobos-Ground" -- is fully laden with unsymmetrical dimethylhydrazine and nitrogen tetroxide; that's ten tons of fuel and oxidizer. The probe itself weighs in at only three tons.

ANALYSIS: Time Running Short for Stranded Mars Probe

The majority of the fuel will likely vaporize during reentry, but everyone will be hoping for a splash-down in an ocean (which covers two-thirds of Earth, fortunately), as the wreckage will still be hazardous. There's also a small quantity of radioactive cobalt-57 in one of the science missions housed in the probe -- a fact that will most likely cause a media frenzy.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/...#ixzz1dXJRh0yG

First time I was deployed, a massive weather system was going to dump a ton of snow across eastern europe and western asia. All models mishandled the situation. The best the US had to offer, including every other international forecasting model. It kept saying it was going to happen, but it never did.

After a week of false alarms, EVERYONE in the region just decided to ignore it (crying wolf). Then it hit, just fulfilled every expectation, but the official word had been it wasn't going to happen.

So what did the Ruskies do? Put all their weather forecasters on trial. Wanted to send them to jail. Not sure how it turned out in the end.

Seems to be a thing for them.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    thats what happens when you have a country use to tyrannical government.

The Russian's space program only works cuz they developed in congruent with us. the only agency to come close to matching us and the Russians is the European, with Chinese right behind
    "Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings..." Patrick Henry