Thread: Moody Monday

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Moody Monday 
    It has to rain! The air is just thick with humidity.
    We lived in the pool this weekend, ate watermelon and acted like sloths. Heavenly!

Did you hear about Mike Huckabee saving a friend's life?

Huckabee helps choking NC candidate with Heimlich

GREENSBORO, N.C. (AP) — Former Republican presidential candidate Mike Huckabee put the squeeze on a politician at the North Carolina Republican Party convention, but in a good way.

The former Arkansas governor performed the Heimlich maneuver on Robert Pittenger, Republican candidate for lieutenant governor, at a lunch Saturday.

Pittenger said he was laughing when he choked on some food.

"I stood up and the governor came over and did the Heimlich and got the relief," Pittenger said. He said the food dislodged when Huckabee applied the trademark Heimlich squeeze to the midsection.
    TOTD: Have you ever been in an emergency position where you had to act responsively and responsibly ? I guess I mean medical but there are other situations....

Resident Unliked Meanie Shannon's Avatar
    It's HOT, HOT, HOT here. My mom is coming to town today. She's just staying the night then leaving with the brat in the morning. The first week without him is always nice but then I really start to miss him.

TOTD: Thankfully, no. Tristan jumped into the deep end of the pool when he was about 2. I was right there and immediately dove in (fully dressed for work:mad:) so he was fine. He thought it was funny.
    Loyalty Binds Me- Motto of Richard III

It's been in the ninties here and I don't have my air conditioning in yet, argh!

TOTD: I have cause I'm an EMT. The best examples I can think of are cardiac arrests but I was at a small plane crash once. That was intense.
    They're not people, they're hippies!! -Cartman

It is nothing against you to fall down flat, but to lie there - that's disgrace

I knew you had May-June!

Huckabee said the person trying to help was pounding on the man's back and that was a no-no. Is that correct?

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    We just had the A/C guy here for the annual checkup and cleaning, everything is AOK.

Now waiting for the carpet guys to show to finish the bedrooms!

It will be very nice here today. Nice enough that I hope to put a couple of hours in slave labor into my current project after work. We hooked up the swamp cooler but we haven't used it yet.

TOTD: I've dragged a couple of kids out of the pool when I was a life guard and did some compression duty in a couple of power tool/livestock incidents but nothing I would call heroic. None of those people were instantly in danger of death like laughing luncheon guy was.

They tell you not to do the pounding thing because it wastes valuable squeeze/jerk time. You do the maneuver first.

Quote Originally Posted by LibraryLady View Post
    I knew you had May-June!

Huckabee said the person trying to help was pounding on the man's back and that was a no-no. Is that correct?
    Yeah it was, but I'm glad it worked anyway (I assume that's what he did to save that guy?) The right thing to do is taught in CPR classes, which I think everyone should take. I'm hopefully going to be a CPR instructor soon, woo hoo!
    They're not people, they're hippies!! -Cartman

It is nothing against you to fall down flat, but to lie there - that's disgrace

Banned
    It's hot here again today. When we arrived yesterday afternoon, it was 93, but before we could get out of the airport, a major thunder storm rolled in and broke. It cooled it down a bit, but it's going to be another hot, sunny day both in the megalopolis and in the Commie Cesspool, to which I'm heading right now (via the faithful, if slow, Amtrak).

TOTD: Thankfully, no. Many years ago, my father collapsed at home and died of a heart attack, but I was away at college. My mother knew no CPR and called the emergency numbers at the time. When I received her call, he wasn't dead and I immediately drove the 90 miles to Jacksonville, uncertain of his condition (pre-cell phones). He was dead by the time I started the drive. I had been trained in CPR, so I've never been sure if I could have altered his destiny had I been there.

Patent Member
    Weather has been pretty stormy over the weekend, and we're expecting more storms throughout the week. We visited the house, and I think half of our topsoil got washed away. Hopefully the builder lays the sod soon.

TOTD: I understand one guy was pounding on the victim's back, Huckabee did the Heimlich. I've taken CPR classes in the past, but never had cause to continue to keep up the certification. I suppose moving around has had a lot to do with it.

My dad and I were driving to Baltimore one day when we saw a severe traffic accident ahead of us. We pulled over to help the guy. My dad ended up doing all of the actual emergency work while I distracted the man's large angry (actually probably scared) rottweiler who was sitting in the cab of the truck. Very intense moments while we waited for the ambulance to arrive.

I can think of a couple:
    1. In early 2005, my dog Pearl had some kind of seizure, and I was the only one home at the time. I basically just called Dad so he could help get her to the vet, and I stayed by her and comforted her until he came.
    2. This wasn't really a big emergency, but it was an unexpected, important occasion that just popped up and dropped in my lap a few months ago: I work at a hardware store, and spend a lot of time assembling grills and handling things in the second- floor stock room. Well, one day, the guy who was normally my superior in the grill department who helped oversee shipments and things was on vacation, and on that day, a BIG grill shipment came in, an since I was the only one left who was really familiar with the layout of the stored grills in the stock room, I was kind of made the impromptu boss of figuring out where to store each of the different kinds of grills we got in that day, and considering how fast they were coming in and how quickly the stock room's conveyor belt was filling up as a result, I came close to panicking on several occasions, but I managed to do all right with the help of the other guys up there who were helping to haul the grills where I indicated.