1. #1 Salt reduction 'may cause increase in cholesterol' 
    Reducing the amount of salt in your diet may cause an increase in cholesterol levels, new research suggests.

But scientists at the British Heart Foundation (BHF) insist that consumers should follow existing guidelines on salt consumption until further research has been carried out.

At present, adults are advised to consume no more than 6g of salt per day, as higher levels may increase the risk of high blood pressure.

However, a review by scientists in Denmark, published in the American Journal of Hypertension, found that a low intake of salt may also cause significant increases in cholesterol and other compounds that have an adverse effect on heart health. ...
    http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/interacti...7154-t116.html

the body does need some salt.even the animals do do.we always put salt licks out for the cows.:D
    “Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift, that’s why they call it the present.” ;)

It all goes back to the old saying "all things in moderation".
    The body needs things like salt, fat, carbs, etc to be healthy.
    But you have to keep all of these in moderate proportion.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Kay View Post
    It all goes back to the old saying "all things in moderation".
    The body needs things like salt, fat, carbs, etc to be healthy.
    But you have to keep all of these in moderate proportion.
    6 grams of salt is a lot. The typical cardiac patient is limited to 1500 mg and high blood pressure folks to 2000 mg.

By the way, some of those "healthy choice" dinners have 1000 mg about of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    6 grams of salt is a lot. The typical cardiac patient is limited to 1500 mg and high blood pressure folks to 2000 mg.

By the way, some of those "healthy choice" dinners have 1000 mg about of salt.
    6 grams of table salt is roughly the same weight as 6 raisins. That is a lot of salt.

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    Interesting to hear people say why they do and don't need salt without explaining why the body needs it. Sodium (Na+) is vital to celluar function, as is Potassium (K+), as they work together in celluar respiration. It's more complicated that that, and Sodium has other roles, but thats it's main function.
    "Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings..." Patrick Henry