1. #1 Perry's call for Fed Gov Overhaul 
    Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    http://biggovernment.com/publius/201...ment-overhaul/
    Perry Calls for Government Overhaul
    by Publius

This is a solid campaign move by Perry. Newt Gingrich is coming on strong in the polls as the anti-Romney, but the fact that the former Speaker is an old-school Beltway insider is a vulnerability. If Perry hopes to revitalize his campaign and get back in the race, it’s essential he plays up his outsider status, and he seems to be doing just that. The anti-establishment outrage has reached a fever pitch since the explosive “60 Minutes” report on Peter Schweizer’s Throw Them All Out, and Perry is the first GOP candidate to try to own that sentiment.
    ((This is a comment by the author))

BETTENDORF, Iowa (AP) – Republican presidential candidate Rick Perry said Tuesday that if elected he would end lifetime appointments for federal judges and slash the pay for federal lawmakers, effectively turning Congress into a part-time institution.

In a speech laying out how he would “uproot and overhaul” Washington, the Texas governor suggested that his Washington outsider background—unlike some of his GOP rivals—would help him succeed at changing the city’s culture. Changing Washington also was one of President Barack Obama’s goals and he’s had no success on that front since taking office.

“Unique to the Republican field, I have never been an establishment figure, have never served in Congress or part of an administration and have never been a paid lobbyist,” Perry said. “My career has been that of a Washington outsider.”

Until he jumped into the presidential race in August, Perry spent his entire political career in his home state of Texas.

The plan Perry rolled out at a heating and cooling company in Iowa also calls for requiring a two-thirds vote in Congress for any tax increases, halting all proposed federal regulations and criminalizing insider trading by Washington lawmakers.

Perry includes the president in the call for a pay cut and said lawmakers’ pay would be halved again—or essentially slashed by three-fourths—if the federal budget isn’t balanced by 2020.

The president’s annual salary is $400,000. Members of Congress not in leadership positions earn $174,000 a year.

“We should cut the salary of the president of the United States in half until that budget is balanced,” he said.

With voting set to begin in Iowa in less than two months, Perry is looking to turn around his once high-flying campaign. He is no longer a top-tier candidate, largely because of disappointing debate performances, including an embarrassing blunder in front of his rivals last week when he struggled to name the three federal departments he says he’d dismantle if elected.

It sounds fantastic, however it also feels like a pipedream and a last ditch effort to boost his poll numbers.
    "Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings..." Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post
    It sounds fantastic, however it also feels like a pipedream and a last ditch effort to boost his poll numbers.
    Someone joked this morning that communism polls better than Congress so you really can't go wrong running against them (Obama is doing so as well).

May as well point out that The President does not have it within his power to set congress' pay scale and work schedule.

Perry's done.

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck View Post
    May as well point out that The President does not have it within his power to set congress' pay scale and work schedule.

Perry's done.
    There seems to be alot of confusion about the power of the Executive.

Quote Originally Posted by Arroyo_Doble View Post
    There seems to be alot of confusion about the power of the Executive.
    not really, but Starbuck does have a point, it would take an Amendment to change much of it.
    "Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings..." Patrick Henry

not really, but Starbuck does have a point, it would take an Amendment to change much of it.
    He also recently came out against foreign aid.

It's like he looked at the most unpopular things and said he was against them. I think he is done.

Quote Originally Posted by Arroyo_Doble View Post
    He also recently came out against foreign aid.

It's like he looked at the most unpopular things and said he was against them. I think he is done.
    actually that is a pretty popular item, I'm all for individuals donating money, and the US helping in emergency's but constant funneling of money into a third world shit hole isn't worth the investment

Some interesting ideas, but based on Perry's track record so far, you have to wonder if he actually understands, in even the remotest way, the huge problem of unintended consequences for this.

There are several reasons why his plan won't matter for his campaign to get out of the deep ditch. First, he's only pulling 7% in Iowa down from about 20%. And Second, he's waited too long to come out with a comprehensive plan since the shake up..........and Third.......

I can't really remember........oops!
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound - Unknown

The problem is Empty People, Not Loaded Guns - Linda Schrock Taylor