Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    So Wallis wants to open up churches to people who have nothing but utter disdain for religion?
    People who love God will do the right thing to those who treat them wrong.

Hopefully this will open the hearts of the protesters to God, which I think will dramatically help the movement to mature, and also help them personally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Smith - Wealth of Nations
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.

Quote Originally Posted by Wei Wu Wei View Post

Hopefully this will open the hearts of the protesters to God, which I think will dramatically help the movement to mature, and also help them personally.
    Preaching of "social justice" is not from God... TNO has been rocked backed on his heels for "quoting" the Bible. No preacher, pastor, father, or rabbi who knows the scriptures ever "preaches" "social justice"....
    Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.
    Ronald Reagan

We could say they are spending like drunken sailors. That would be unfair to drunken sailors, they're spending their OWN money.
    Ronald Reagan

R.I.P. Crockspot

Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    Preaching of "social justice" is not from God... TNO has been rocked backed on his heels for "quoting" the Bible. No preacher, pastor, father, or rabbi who knows the scriptures ever "preaches" "social justice"....

It depends on how you define "social justice". I don't agree with the protests, if they were about social justice, they wouldn't be still going on. They wouldn't be making life difficult for the people who work in the areas around their protests and there are just so many other reasons why the OWS thing is wrong.

But I do believe that it is a Christian's responsibility to support justice, to treat people fairly, to give support to those who suffer injustices, and to bring injustices to the attention of the public so that they can be addressed.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    It depends on how you define "social justice". I don't agree with the protests, if they were about social justice, they wouldn't be still going on. They wouldn't be making life difficult for the people who work in the areas around their protests and there are just so many other reasons why the OWS thing is wrong.

But I do believe that it is a Christian's responsibility to support justice, to treat people fairly, to give support to those who suffer injustices, and to bring injustices to the attention of the public so that they can be addressed.
    Yes partly i agree with you but they define social justice as taking as much money from the rich and giving to lazy bums. The bible says you should give of your own free will not about the state taking and then giving.

This movement needs a dose of Church.

The living flame of the Holy Spirit inside of dedicated people is stronger than any use of force. all I see or hear is negativity and hate, but if these protesters are able to accept the hatred coming from their enemies and love them back, they cannot lose.

The churches are doing the right thing by opening their doors to the protesters, and the protesters should do the right thing by opening their hearts to the churches.
    These people are anti-Christian for the most part. It is nearly impossible for most of them to operate in their liberal world view and reconcile that with a Loving God.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

Dude, stop it already. By already sore stomach from yesterday can't take anymore.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

This movement needs a dose of Church. Some of the most effective leaders of social change in this country were deeply religious people. There are many values that the left needs to reapproriate that are taught in church. There needs to be a sense of higher purpose, of dedication and self-sacrifice that comes from religion.
    Unfortunately, the left's response to religion (the "opiate of the masses") makes it unlikely that they will find many useful values in real churches. Don't get me wrong, they can find lots of liberation theologians and the like who iwll gladly pay lip service to religious principles, but the basic premise of Judeo-Christian philosophy is that the important things in life are not of this life, and that obsession with temporal issues blinds one to the truly spiritual.

Any insecure idiot with a badge trying to feel like a tough guy can beat up women and the elderly at a protest. Any immature moron protester trying to "stick it to the man" like a whiny teenager can assault police and cry when the teargas comes at them.
    So, if the immature idiot assaults a cop, then the cop who responds with force is an "insecure idiot with a badge trying to feel like a tough guy"? Sounds like a bit of your trademark moral equivalence there.

What the people in this movement need is true strength, strength that comes from God, the strength to be mocked, belittled, even assaulted and still love the people doing it to them. If a righteous protester is pepper sprayed by the police, they should feel only love and sympathy for the police officer, who is also in the working class. If a righteous protester decides they must engage in civil disobedience, they should NEVER answer violence with more violence, but take their punishments and continue on strong. They should get away from the drug-fueled carnival and focus more on the dedicated social change.

If the people can keep up with their level of persistence, and emphasize the values of self-sacrifice, non-violence, and hard work, they will win this struggle. Going to church will help them to rid the movements of it's bad qualities and strengthen it's good qualities.

The living flame of the Holy Spirit inside of dedicated people is stronger than any use of force. all I see or hear is negativity and hate, but if these protesters are able to accept the hatred coming from their enemies and love them back, they cannot lose.

The churches are doing the right thing by opening their doors to the protesters, and the protesters should do the right thing by opening their hearts to the churches.
    If we didn't know that you were an atheist, you might have convinced some of us that you meant this. Instead, we just get to shake our heads at your incredible cynicism and willingness to pander in order to advance the revolution.

I've been more busy than usual with work stuff lately, but it's good to know you missed me.
    We didn't really miss you, so much as notice that you hadn't been around for a while. It's like not noticing that the septic tank until the wind shifts.
    I find it ironic that most Tea Party supporters are criticizing the OWS protesters for acts of illegal civil disobedience (like refusing to leave parks, blocking intersections, or sleeping at the protests), while the Tea Party itself is named after a movement that was highly illegal and engaged in severe civil disobedience (including theft and destruction of private property, illegally boarding ships, ect.)
    The original Tea Partiers' superficial resemblance to the OWS movement isn't borne out by the facts. The OTPs didn't steal the tea, they destroyed it, and they didn't damage the ships or hold them longer than it took to accomplish the act. The reason for this is that in every colony except Massachusetts, tea consignees resigned or returned the tea to England. However, the Royal Governor of Massachussetts, Hutchinson, was the father of two tea importers/consignees, who stood to lose quite a bit if the tea were not off-loaded and sold. The tea ship Dartmouth arrived in the Boston Harbor in late November 1773. British law required the Dartmouth to unload and pay the duties within twenty days or customs officials could confiscate the cargo. The colonists urged the captain of the Dartmouth to go back without paying, but Governor Hutchinson refused to grant permission for the Dartmouth to leave without paying the duty. Two more tea ships arrived in Boston Harbor during the standoff. When the deadline passed, and the ship was still in the harbor, the colonists acted and destroyed the cargo, as you know, but they didn't abrogate all responsibility for their actions. Benjamin Franklin, speaking for the colonists, stated that the British East India company must be compensated for the loss of destroyed 90,000 lbs of tea (which, at two shillings per pound, comes to £9,000, or £888 thousand today). American merchants who attempted to reimburse the crown were rebuffed by Lord North. So, rather than an indiscrimate occupation of every piece of corporate property within their reach, the Boston Tea Party was a targeted, specific action which the colonists were prepared to make reparations for, having accomplished their original goals. When the Occupiers demonstrate that they are willing to clean up their messes, compensate the owners of the property that they have destroyed and otherwise take responsibility for their actions, then you can compare the two. As for other superficial similarities, these can be explained by the fact that indoor plumbing had not been introduced in the colonies at that time.

I stand in awe of your cynical manipulation of religious thought.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    .... the basic premise of Judeo-Christian philosophy is that the important things in life are not of this life, and that obsession with temporal issues blinds one to the truly spiritual.
    Render therefore unto Washington ....

Last edited by Arroyo_Doble; 11-18-2011 at 02:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arroyo_Doble View Post
    Render therefore unto Washington ....

Oh, we do. And then some. I'm in the 53% that pays taxes.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Oh, we do. And then some. I'm in the 53% that pays taxes.
    My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. My childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we’d make meat helmets. When I was insolent I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds- pretty standard really. At the age of twelve I received my first scribe. At the age of fourteen a Zoroastrian named Vilma ritualistically shaved my testicles. There really is nothing like a shorn scrotum… it’s breathtaking- I highly suggest you try it.

I am the 53%