Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    The "Republican fashion" referred to was the notion that people who can't afford health insurance can somehow "save up" for actual health care. Don't roll your eyes like that, it makes you look stupid
    That actually wasn't the thought process at all. Signed into law by Bush in 2003, the thought was that people would buy high deductible policies and save money to fill the gap.

Didn't work.

Most hourly wage type people (yes, I believe that is a 'type') won't save money, no matter what the reason.

And we 'rich' people have enough money saved up so that it doesn't matter what the deductible is.

"We, The People", are ruined, I think. Everyone 'knows' that they can't afford their own health care insurance, even though they have no idea what it would cost. And besides, if you go to the hospital they won't turn you down.

The teeter-totter has tipped. And the people on the ground have no ability to climb up. So they will just wait.:(

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck View Post
    That actually wasn't the thought process at all. Signed into law by Bush in 2003, the thought was that people would buy high deductible policies and save money to fill the gap.

Didn't work.

Most hourly wage type people (yes, I believe that is a 'type') won't save money, no matter what the reason.
    If you make $7-$10 per hour, and you're spending $200/mo on a high deductible policy in addition to your living expenses, what money are you expected to save up and donate to Rick Scott's wallet?

Japan and Chinese Hong Kong are #1 and #2. Neither of these states has Single Payer healthcare, and China does not (to my surprise) have universal healthcare.

Just the other day I was reading about the plight of some Chinese kidney patients, who because they could not afford Chinese health insurance or dialysis at a commercial center, they bought some used machines from a private hospital and started a dialysis collective. The press got wind of it, the government got wind of it and shut it down because it made the country's healthcare system look bad. In a rather Republican fashion, they gave the patients one year of free dialysis while they "save up for treatment".

"I'll be dead within two years." said one of the co-op owners.
    China, outside of the densely populated area doesn't have a system at all. Also, the Chinese numbers are certainly not to be trusted. China is vast and lot of it is rural. The Party doesn't even have an accurate count of it subjects, peasants and nobles in the outlying areas, much less does it care about a little thing like the death rate of those who support the lavish lifestyles of the comrades who have The Party's favor. Then there's The Party manipulation and censorship of every single piece of data that comes out of China.
    "In England a king hath little more to do than to make war and give away places; which in plain terms, is to impoverish the nation and set it together by the ears. A pretty business indeed for a man to be allowed eight hundred thousand sterling a year for, and worshipped into the bargain! Of more worth is one honest man to society and in the sight of God, than all the crowned ruffians that ever lived."
    —Thomas Paine, Common Sense

If you make $7-$10 per hour, and you're spending $200/mo on a high deductible policy in addition to your living expenses, what money are you expected to save up and donate to Rick Scott's wallet?
    None, of course.
    If you make 400/week (the top of the scale you conveniently chose) you're not going to be able to save any money and you won't hear anything from me about it either.

On the other hand if you are part of the 50,000/year crowd, and don't save money you will get no sympathy from me.

There are lots of people who make 50K and 'can't save and 'can't afford. I used to work with many of them and I used to work with just as many who made the same amount and happily lived within their means. It's all in your head, but the worker has to find a way to get himself above the poverty level first.

Sort of reminds me of all those worker who whine, "How am I gonna support a family of four on my minimum wage? Now you tell me that?!" Nonsensical question from a clueless someone.
    Last edited by Starbuck; 11-24-2011 at 08:55 AM.

If you make $7-10 per hour, you don't buy insurance. You just pay the doctor when you need to be seen, and make payments to the ER when you end up there. Of course, you try hard not to end up there because it costs way more than a doctor visit. Now that we have Urgent or After Hours Care in so many places, that's where you go.

I didn't have health insurance for many years when my kids were young, but was lucky enough to have a doctor that would let me pay on my next payday. I would roll coins for prescriptions to get by. My kids never did without any necessary medical treatment.

After I got insurance, ironically enough, my health care costs went up because the insurance didn't cover anything until the deductible was met, so I still paid for the doctor on my next payday and rolled coins for prescriptions.

And, BTW, a $1200 deductible policy for a family today runs about $850 actual cost, not $200.
    -
    -
    -

In actual dollars, President Obama’s $4.4 trillion in deficit spending in just three years is 37 percent higher than the previous record of $3.2 trillion (held by President George W. Bush) in deficit spending for an entire presidency. It’s no small feat to demolish an 8-year record in just 3 years.

Under Obama’s own projections, interest payments on the debt are on course to triple from 2010 (his first budgetary year) to 2018, climbing from $196 billion to $685 billion annually.

I think if we practiced more preventive medicine and led more active and healthier lives, we could live even longer. There are a lot of variables that go into life expectancy including pollution and daily risks. Our cars are safer and our work places are also safer which reduces major injuries or death which increases the life expectancy. I've got a temporary health plan right now that covers any major illnesses or hospitalization. I'd like to find a job with a company with a great group plan but right now I'm good with the short term plan as I am in good overall health.
    Tracee - I'm in between jobs and looking for a good short term health insurance plan. Anyone use HCC or other companies?

The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.